WAG Steve Penny arrested

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Interesting. The poster of the logo seems to have nothing to do with gymnastics, and a google search of the name brings up an obscure TX league. Is that the same organization?

I have no idea, I was reading that thread for a whole other reason this morning, saw that and wondered what it was all about.

This alternate group has a Facebook page, doesn't it? What is it?

Isn't the alternate group headed up by someone fairly well-respected and involved in MAG?

Clicking on that page, one of the names I saw is a coach who speaks out a lot against abuse, but I know many girls and parents would consider abusive. So......I mean, how do we know this knew organization is any better than USAG??

Talk of this new mysterious organization reminds me of the show Let’s Make a Deal. We have a refrigerator in hand, but there could be a new car or fancy trip behind the curtain. Or a guy dressed like a clown riding a tricycle.

I hope Steve Penny starts singing and we get a better sense of the issues at hand. Clearly the new crew doesn’t have their act together. Still too many botched decisions. I have to wonder if the new org leadership is so great, why aren’t they at the top of the list at USAG? Maybe the org name is too tainted, but there have been a number of companies to rise from the ashes.

This alternate group has a Facebook page, doesn't it? What is it?

Isn't the alternate group headed up by someone fairly well-respected and involved in MAG?

Yes. I think they have been quiet lately, but a lot of work is being done.

Reactions: sce
Talk of this new mysterious organization reminds me of the show Let’s Make a Deal. We have a refrigerator in hand, but there could be a new car or fancy trip behind the curtain. Or a guy dressed like a clown riding a tricycle.

I hope Steve Penny starts singing and we get a better sense of the issues at hand. Clearly the new crew doesn’t have their act together. Still too many botched decisions. I have to wonder if the new org leadership is so great, why aren’t they at the top of the list at USAG? Maybe the org name is too tainted, but there have been a number of companies to rise from the ashes.
My question as well.

I can tell you for sure that more than one organization exists. The problem is who will the USOC choose and why. Will they stay with USAG, or pick an existing group? Will they pick a new group? Ultimately it will come down to politics as usual .... that seems to come first befor the well being of children these days.

There are countless groups who have spent time considering whether to apply to become the new NGB for gymnastics. Most/all(?) are waiting to see if USAG is de-certified.

The selection process is as follows:

Section 8.19 Applications for Membership. Public Hearings. An amateur sports organization that desires to become a member of the corporation, or that desires to transfer membership from one membership group to another, shall apply in writing to the corporation through the CEO. Applications made under this Section shall be of sufficient detail to demonstrate that the applicant meets the criteria for membership in the group for which application is made. Prior to action by the Board on an application for membership, or for membership transfer, the CEO shall submit a written report with recommendations to the Board showing the facts that relate to the proposed action. In the case of an application for membership as an Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization, prior to preparing his or her report to the Board, the CEO shall hold at least two (2) public hearings concerning the application for membership. The corporation shall publish on its website, not less than thirty (30) days or more than sixty (60) days prior to the date of each hearing, a notice of the time, place, and nature of such hearing. The corporation shall send written notice, which shall include a copy of the application, at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of any such public hearing to all amateur sports organizations in that sport that are known to the corporation. At such hearing, the CEO or the CEO’s designee shall afford both the applicant organization and any otherinterested parties an opportunity to comment on the merits of the application, and the CEO shall summarize in the CEO’s report to the Board the comments so received.

There are countless groups who have spent time considering whether to apply to become the new NGB for gymnastics. Most/all(?) are waiting to see if USAG is de-certified.

The selection process is as follows:

Section 8.19 Applications for Membership. Public Hearings. An amateur sports organization that desires to become a member of the corporation, or that desires to transfer membership from one membership group to another, shall apply in writing to the corporation through the CEO. Applications made under this Section shall be of sufficient detail to demonstrate that the applicant meets the criteria for membership in the group for which application is made. Prior to action by the Board on an application for membership, or for membership transfer, the CEO shall submit a written report with recommendations to the Board showing the facts that relate to the proposed action. In the case of an application for membership as an Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization, prior to preparing his or her report to the Board, the CEO shall hold at least two (2) public hearings concerning the application for membership. The corporation shall publish on its website, not less than thirty (30) days or more than sixty (60) days prior to the date of each hearing, a notice of the time, place, and nature of such hearing. The corporation shall send written notice, which shall include a copy of the application, at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of any such public hearing to all amateur sports organizations in that sport that are known to the corporation. At such hearing, the CEO or the CEO’s designee shall afford both the applicant organization and any otherinterested parties an opportunity to comment on the merits of the application, and the CEO shall summarize in the CEO’s report to the Board the comments so received.

The de-certification process is as follows:
Section 8.20 Termination of NGB and PSO Membership and Recognition. Any action by the corporation to suspend, revoke, or otherwise take action with respect to the membership and recognition of an Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization pursuant to the provisions of Section 220521(d) of the Act and Section 8.1 of these Bylaws shall be taken at the initiative of the CEO and shall be finally determined by the Board. Such action may be taken as a result of a compliance review undertaken by the corporation or pursuant to other information known to the corporation.
Section 8.20.1 Initiation of Action. The CEO, upon initiation of such an action, shall (i) issue a complaint to the Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization setting forth the legal and factual basis of non-compliance or other deficiency, and (ii) the remedy requested. The CEO shall also appoint an independent hearing panel of three individuals to hear the complaint. The hearing panel shall consist of (1) member of the Board (who shall chair the panel), one (1) individual who is a member of the NGB Council, and one (1) individual who is a member of the AAC. The hearing panel shall not include any individual having a direct interest, either personally or by virtue of organizational affiliation, in the outcome of the proceeding.
Section 8.20.2 Hearing. A hearing shall be held at which the Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization shall be given a reasonable opportunity to present factual evidence and legal argument regarding the allegations of the complaint. Upon conclusion of the hearing, the hearing panel shall prepare a report to the Board on the Organization’s non-compliance or deficiency. The report shall also include a recommendation as to the action to be taken by the Board.

Section 8.20.3 Report to the Board. The CEO shall provide the hearing panel’s report and recommendation, together with any report the CEO wishes to make, to the Board. The Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization shall also be furnished with a copy of the hearing panel’s report and recommendation, and with a copy of the CEO’s report, if any. The Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization shall also be provided an opportunity to present a written report to the Board.
Section 8.20.4 Board Consideration. The Board shall consider the matter relating to the Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organizations membership and recognition as soon as is practicable. The Board shall not hold a further hearing on the matter, but shall only be required to consider the reports and recommendations provided to it. The Board shall then determine what action it will take concerning the Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport Organization’s membership and recognition. The action of the Board shall be final and binding on the Olympic, Pan American or Paralympic Sport organization.

https://www.aaau.org/media/12832/1998 ted stevens olympic and amateur sports act.pdf

§220522 contains the NGB requirements. USAG has problems with at least two of the provisions.

(a)(2) "has the managerial and financial capability to plan and execute its obligations;"

and potentially the following provision because retaliation has been interpreted by the Supreme Court to apply to each of these discrimination categories. Meaning, if gymnast X complained about being abused and was retaliated against for that complaint, the organization could be de-certified.

(a)(8) "provides an equal opportunity to amateur athletes, coaches, trainers, managers, administrators, and officials to participate in amateur athletic competition, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin, and with fair notice and opportunity for a hearing to any amateur athlete, coach, trainer, manager, administrator, or official before declaring the individual ineligible to participate;"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back