WAG Stitching in comp leo coming undone

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

W

wizzie

The stitching along the neckline of my comp leo is unraveling. It's a gk, and this is only my second time wearing it. I don't want the whole thing to fall apart, considering what I payed. I feel like there is nothing I'm able to do because it's meet season now and sending it back to get a new one would take too long. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Do you have access to a sewing machine? If you do, it's a fairly easy fix (especially if you can work with a twin needle) and I'd be happy to tell you how to do it. If you know anyone with a cover stitch machine that could fix it for you, even better (that's the machine originally used to make that sort of stitching on the neckline and all other openings).
I'm sorry it's coming unraveled, this kind of stitching is really great most of the time but there's a "magic thread" that will completely unravel it if you're unlucky enough to snag that particular one....

Any chance your gym has extras? This happened to my DD's GK comp leo after the first washing - I was very upset. Luckily, gym had an extra for her to wear and we were able to send back the bad one to GK and then they sent a new one to the gym. Our gym uses the same leo for 2 years so tends to purchase extras during the first year.

Send it back, wear a plain leo for a meet and get your money's worth out of the leo you paid for.

First make your coach aware. As Gymmutti said, t may be that he/she has extras and even if not, he/she should know about it and let GK know about it. Maybe they will send another or give you a partial refund or something.

I have a sewing machine and do some sewing, but I would never sew DD's comp leo unless something came apart the day of the meet and I had no other choice. See if there's a professional seamstress in the area that you can take it to. Many drycleaners have one on staff. Hopefully you can get it done while you wait, or at least get it back really quickly. It will likely only cost you a few bucks (you can ask first if you're worried) and I personally would feel much better about letting a professional do it.

I can certainly see CoachP's point but I know my daughter would be horrified at the idea of competing in a different leo than her teammates. For me it would be worth shelling out a couple of dollars to get it fixed rather than having her deal with that. Besides, I don't know about you, but DD has 5 meets in the next 8 weeks, so even if it only takes a few weeks to get a new one (and knowing GK, it's likely to take longer than that), you'd have to wear a different leo for multiple meets.

I wouldn't have any problem fixing dds or any other gymnasts comp Leo, but I am a professional seamstress with the proper machines. :)
I still stand by that it is a very easy fix, but if you have the option of returning/exchanging it quickly that would certainly work too. Good luck!

I still stand by that it is a very easy fix, but if you have the option of returning/exchanging it quickly that would certainly work too. Good luck!
Oh, I believe you, but it would just make me very nervous to do ANYTHING to that $200 leo. Even in its 2nd season I'm still washing it exactly according to the instructions, using distilled water and all. For me paying a few bucks for someone like yourself to do it is worth not stressing about messing it up. :)

Talk to your coach first and see if he/she has any advice or experience in dealing with GK and these types of problems. Some companies are very strict about returns and won't even offer it as an option if you have altered the leo yourself in any way- even if you were just trying to fix a lack of quality in their product.
If the coach gets you the go ahead, and you don't have sewing skills, I would see if a team parent or friend has those skills. If not try to find an alteration shop or dry cleaner that does alterations.

This happened to DD's GK leo a few years back we sent to GK they fixed it and got it back before next meet. contact them they paid shipping charges sent labels. Coach may have a GK rep to contact otherwise call company direct.

I would never attempt to fix it.

I let my coach know, she told me to call GK. I called them today, they said they needed my coach to contact them. However, my coach has had a few mishaps with GK customer service before, and refuses to call them.

I might just have a family friend repair it. She is an excellent seamstress. It might just save me the trouble of going through GK

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back