Strap Bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that strap bar can help with your giants, for some people and depending on the sitaution. If you use gloves you have to shift your wrists a bit, though admitedly not as much as on the real bar. It can also help you get over the fear of going over the bar, and you can do many reps without ripping. It can be also good for some small kids to get the feeling of giants when they still have very small hands which do not reach right around the bar yet, or have not developed adaquete grip strength to do giants on the wooden. Also it can be good to start on strap bar if your gym, like mine, does not have a pit. Doing giants on the strap bar means that you will not have to worry about peeling off. I think that smallish kids who can be easily spotted preferably over a pit could easily learn giant quite easily without the aid of a strap bar, but for you average kid who learns to giant at age 11-13 kind of age group or older, so it is more difficult for them to be spotted, or with limited facilities, ie no pit, the use of a strap bar can be very useful in the aid of learning giants.

It hurts my wrists a lot! There's a big gap between the "medium" and the "large" straps so if I wear the large straps, there's no point to being on strap bar. The mediums require a lot of huffing and shoving and twisting to get my hands in. However, I do like it. We've worked clear hips on it and I almost got to handstand, toe circles, at which I suck, and giants with a spot. I can really work on my big tap swings (eventually giants) which is great because my toes tend to hit the low bar. HOWEVER...it's so different from the regular bar that I don't like to do it often.

It is a big difference from straps to the real bar. and the sizes of straps are to versatile. but i can do a million and one giants with out a problem, but i cant make one on the real bar to save my life. i can do an amazing free hip hand in straps, but on the real bar, not so much.

--> one gym i was at used straps differently then ANY other gym does. if you go out and buy gloves, like gardening gloves, but with no rubber stuff on them.. and put them on, and you stap yourself in and swing on straps with it like that. like dont use the pvc pipe at all. and i think it gives you more of the 'real bar' feeling, bc pvc goes around too easily, but with the gloves its almost like your actually doing it..

Im learning giants on strap bar;Im having a bit of jitters though.I love strap bar,but it doesn't hurt my wrist that much.

Strap bars really hurt my wrists and we have wrist bands and gloves, usually I can't find the right size I'm in between. So I always have to wear massive loops. I'm working on giants at the moment but I can't really go much higher than a bit past bar height.

i like strap bar but i learned the hard 2 NEVER EVER twist if some1 is spotting u and lets u go backwards when doing a clear-hip 2 hndstnd. Owwie

i think it halps you to learn the felling of going over the bar and when to tap but it riuns you because you dont have to shift and then you go to the real bar and dont shift. i could go on and on about it being dangrous,pros and cons blah blah blah.yeah

they are really fun to use but yea they hurt a lot! i can only do them with a spot though :(
i hope to get my giants someday!

I think strap bar is great! I don't like the pvc pipe on it though so I just put extra chalk on my hands and get smaller straps and go straight on the metal (I don't like gloves, they feel funny and usually have holes on both sides anyway). Then I have to shift my wrists anyway.

What other skills could you do on the strap bar besides gaints?????

personally, at first i hated strap bar.... then i started to like it.... now, i think its just a waste of my time... i know i can do giants the correct way in strap.... it hasnt helped me progress on the actual bar. I cant seem to do it. so i guess my answer is no... i dont really like strap bar.

I think the strap bars okay. It's painful and leaves these big burns on both my wrists and forearms that last for like a month, even if I use the biggest straps. It's not like my wrists are insanely huge or anything either, but I think it's fun and helpful other than that.

I really like the starp bar because its simple and to me its not that scary. I can work on my giants and get them better on that bar. However, it's not really at all like the real bar, so i still won't go do giants on the real bar or even the pit bar, but thats just a messed up brain thig for me...

The strap bar really helped me with my giant - I couldn't figure out how to NOT do a baby giant/pullover motion with my shoulders on the real bar and straps helped me push through my shoulders so I could swing around the bar. Now I love doing giants in straps, but that's about it. Once when I was swinging giants one the straps broke and half of my body flew off the bar and I was swinging from one arm - that was really scary:eek:. Now I only use really thick straps. :)

They take alot of getting used to, but overall I like them. I think they help with my giants, although if I do alot of giants in a row, then my wrist really start to hurt. But again, like I said it takes alot of getting used to it. :)

oh my gosh i HATE strap bar!!!! i just always feel like im going to fall out (which i never do but i still think i will, we have sooo many strap sizes mine fit nice and snug:) and my wristbands are nice and thick)! but i learned my giants without the straps and they are just fine, but i recently have been using straps for giants and getting over my fear! also i do clear hip HS's on the straps and i think straps do help those!

i like strap bar but i learned the hard 2 NEVER EVER twist if some1 is spotting u and lets u go backwards when doing a clear-hip 2 hndstnd. Owwie

just this morning at practice i did that ....

not so smart but i like twisted back so something so it didnt hurt ?

just this morning at practice i did that ....

not so smart but i like twisted back so something so it didnt hurt ?

When I was first learning giants on straps, I twisted out of it like I would have if I was on the regular set, apparently it looked horrible, and everyone freaked out. Personally, I don't think it was that bad! :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back