Strength/flexibility: Yoga or Ballet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JediGymnast

Gymnast
Hello! I've been looking EVERYWHERE for an adult gymnastics or tumbling class, and there just aren't any within a 50 mile radius. You mentioned in the meantime to work strength and flexibility. Well, the local community college offers Yoga and Ballet classes. I know Yoga is good at working your core and strength, but I also know there are some moves from ballet that cross over to gymnastics. So which would work better? Ballet or Yoga?

Try whichever you think you would enjoy more. You are not trying for elite gymnastics so it's all about fun in pursuit of your goal.

Either.

To be honest, you can work on strength and flexibility at home or in a gym by yourself though taking a class might be a bit more interesting. Group/social aspect and instruction from a coach.

It can simply be said that if getting strong and flexible is your goals as preparation to gymnastics, workout 3-4 days a week focusing on pulling (pullups), pushing (pushups), jumping and squatting ( jumps, lunges, plies ), core work (hollow/arch holds, situps/leglifts) and lots of handstands and then working your pike, bridge and splits as well.

Yoga and ballet may help you develop some coordination and body awareness if you lack it.

Thank you. I'm not really known for my coordination. I tripped over my feet so much as a kid I made Humpty Dumpty look graceful, so taking classes would probably help with that.

Can you do both?
Or take one and then the other? Both will help with strength and flexibility. Some ballet moves are used exactly in gymnastics, especially leaps, turns, and jumps. Yoga can require a lot of core and arm strength and help you get used to inverting and supporting your body weight.

fuzi: I've thought about doing both. I'm not quite in good enough shape to do them at the same time, but starting with one and then doing the other would be fun. But which one to start with...? Time for eenie-meenie-miney-moe! ;)

Both.

Do Ballet one day, do yoga another.

M Yoga, W Ballet F Yoga.

Try not to get bored in the process. Work as much as you can.

Like BlairBob, I think both concurrently (but different days) is a great idea, but if time/money/concern about your fitness level is holding you back, I might go with yoga first. If you are taking it at a local community college, I imagine there will be a greater variety of body types/people in yoga, while ballet might include more former dancers. At least that was my experience when I was in college.

If money is a concern, I'd pay for the dance class and follow a yoga class on On-Demand TV or a youtube video or DVD series.

Unless you are looking for a social outlet with guys doing yoga. I'd pay for that...but looking for girls instead.

Thank you for the input, guys. :) Money is definitely a concern but I'm reluctant to self-teach anything else. Without a full-length mirror I can't check posture until after the fact with a video camera....the same problem I'm having with form on handstands and cartwheels. :( I'll do some more research on both. There's plenty of time to make up my mind in the meantime. The classes don't start until the end of August.

Update: Since the classes at the college have academic credits, I'm last in line for registration priority. Long story short, the Yoga class is already full; the other still has quite a few open spots. So, starting August 26, I'll be donning a leotard, tights, and ballet shoes. :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back