Parents struggling after holidays

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

onebusymama

Proud Parent
My DD (5 1/2 - pre team) had a 2 week break from gym for the holidays. Thursday was her first day back after the break & Gees.... it was a struggle. It seemed as if she couldn't do half of what she could before the break. But the worst part of it was that she seemed to be clueless unless her coach was right by her side telling her what to do & helping her. Anyone else having this issue? How long will it take for her to get back to where she left off?

Maybe she was just having an off-day trying to get her head back in the game?
I had the opposite reaction with my 5yo. The break did her good and is more confident with her skills.

ETA: I hope that doesn't sound haughty. It's not meant that way.

My level 7 had the same issue. She had the longest break ever since beginning gymnastics and it was bad. She was very sore and lost a little confidence on her newer skills. Hopefully she will have a better week this week. She said she never wants that long of a break again, ever.

My DD is also 5, on the pre-team and just had a 2 week break and went back to the gym for the first time on Thursday:). It was the most frustrating 1 1/2 hrs I have ever watched. No focus, and you'd think the coach was asking them to do things they'd never done before. It did not help that no one else seemed as clueless as her:). I had to remind myself (repeatedly) that she is only 5. I'm hoping that when she goes on Monday things will be slightly better-lol.

My DD had a rough go of it this last week too. Plus she was out most of the previous two weeks with injuries and illness. By Friday though it was coming together again :)

Mine seemed unfocused too, from the 10 minutes of practice that I saw. Her teacher in school that day said she was really tired and unfocused. I think it was because of lack of sleep- new years eve was only 2 nights before and my kids were up til 12:30., and 10 or 10:30 for the night or two after that. They are little, they get tired, and don't forget, little kids like routines. Winter holidays are anything but. It's hard for them, but give it a week and I bet they will all be back on track.

Yup from my dds experience being in this for 5 years, any break seems to throw them off. Just last week dd was frustrated because right before break she got a skill then got sick plus out for Christmas break and sure enough skill is still on break lol. I'm sure she will get it back with regular practice but shes frustrated. I'm sure your dd will quickly get back in the grove too :).

must be all this is why our gym was only closed for team on the 24th, 25th, 31st and 1st.. there was no pressure to be there, but they stayed open..

I wouldn't worry about it. I bet most kids have a hard time focusing in school as well after winter break. I think they just need to get back into the regular routine and it will all come back to them like they never missed practice at all!:)

Don't worry about it all the kids when they have a long break like that need a few days to get back into the swing of things especially if they weren't doing some home conditioning during the break. I have had 2 kids with team over the past 15 years and no matter what the reason for the break is they always take about a week or so to get back into the swing.

As mom's we tend to notice only our own kid our of sorts, but if you really look you will see its not just your kid.

Just thought I'd share.... DD had gym last night, and it went way better than Thursdays. She still isn't up to par but not as bad as last practice. I guess it just takes time getting back into the swing of things.:)

My DD (5 1/2 - pre team) had a 2 week break from gym for the holidays. Thursday was her first day back after the break & Gees.... it was a struggle. It seemed as if she couldn't do half of what she could before the break. But the worst part of it was that she seemed to be clueless unless her coach was right by her side telling her what to do & helping her. Anyone else having this issue? How long will it take for her to get back to where she left off?

i have the same problem. and i'm a coach and i'm old. that's why i need my wife! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back