WAG Summer Hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgirljam

Proud Parent
Hi all, as you can see, I'm new here. However I am coming out of lurkdom now. My DD, who just turned 7, is a training lvl 4/5/7. The plan is for her to compete 4, score out of 5, and compete 7, if she isn't ready for 7 she will compete 7 next year. My guess would be that she will be competing lvl 7 next year, just because of floor and vault. Yesterday HC approached me and said that she thinks she should practice with the optionals for one day in the summer. This would mean her hours going up from 12 to 16 hours a week. I don't know if this would be too many hours because she is quite young. I might ask the coach is she can practice with the optionals during a day that she would already be there, but I don't want to interfere with the coach's plans.

How many hours do you think would be appropriate for a 7 year old? I certainly don't want to burn her out.

How many hours has she been practicing? DD just turned 8 and has been doing 9 and will move to 12 over the summer...which I think is fine. If she has already been doing 12, I don't see a problem with 16 IF she wants to do that much. Does she ask for more gym time now? Or does she seem tired with what she currently does? I think the answer is different for each child honestly.

How many hours has she been practicing? DD just turned 8 and has been doing 9 and will move to 12 over the summer...which I think is fine. If she has already been doing 12, I don't see a problem with 16 IF she wants to do that much. Does she ask for more gym time now? Or does she seem tired with what she currently does? I think the answer is different for each child honestly.

She is currently doing 12 hours. After practice, she is always very excited and loves to tell me everything that she did that day. She's the same at home. It has happened more than once I have had to direct her outside on the weekend after a near crash with a piece of furniture. She would love to do more hours but since she is young I don't want to overwhelm her.

Would coach let her try it out for a week first to make sure it's not too much for her?
I don't see a problem with it if it's just for summer. During the school year, it might be a little overwhelming for a 7 year old.

However I'm wondering why the rush to get her to L7? You won't see many 7 year olds at that level, and she could probably benefit from a full season of 4 or 5 (to work on strength, form, attention to detail, etc.) Then she would be much more prepared for her first year of optionals. Also if vault is an issue, it will likely be an issue in the L4 and 5 score outs as well (L4-7 currently have the same vault.)

Would coach let her try it out for a week first to make sure it's not too much for her?
I don't see a problem with it if it's just for summer. During the school year, it might be a little overwhelming for a 7 year old.

However I'm wondering why the rush to get her to L7? You won't see many 7 year olds at that level, and she could probably benefit from a full season of 4 or 5 (to work on strength, form, attention to detail, etc.) Then she would be much more prepared for her first year of optionals. Also if vault is an issue, it will likely be an issue in the L4 and 5 score outs as well (L4-7 currently have the same vault.)

If DD does end up doing 16 in the summer, it will only be for the summer. I was also wondering why they were pushing her to 7. I am actually thinking of having a meeting with HC about this, because I don't understand why it makes a difference now if she competes lvl 7 as a 7 or 8 or even 9 year old.

If DD does end up doing 16 in the summer, it will only be for the summer. I was also wondering why they were pushing her to 7. I am actually thinking of having a meeting with HC about this, because I don't understand why it makes a difference now if she competes lvl 7 as a 7 or 8 or even 9 year old.

Agree, even as a 9 year old L7, that would be on the right "track" towards college or even possibly elite if that is her goal. I don't think there is anything wrong with her working optional level skills on the events she is ready for, but she could continue to up train while doing L4 or 5, and she sounds quite talented, so she would probably do well in those levels and it would be a good introduction to competition for her (if she has not competed before) and also a good confidence booster.

My DD competed level 7 as a 9 year old and just completed level 8 as a 10 year old and will begin training level 9/HOPES now. So I agree that having her be a bit older before moving to level 7 would benefit her.

I think summer is very different then the school year. And I don't know your child.

So I think, and it is JMO, 16 hours during the school year too much............ During the summer, entirely different, if she went to camp it would be 3 hours yes..............

My child has a bunch of commitments during the school year. She has however done 30 hour camp weeks during the summer, since she was 6. So no, based on my one child. 16 hours for summer hours, not a problem. Your mileage may vary.

I think summer is very different then the school year. And I don't know your child.

So I think, and it is JMO, 16 hours during the school year too much............ During the summer, entirely different, if she went to camp it would be 3 hours yes..............

My child has a bunch of commitments during the school year. She has however done 30 hour camp weeks during the summer, since she was 6. So no, based on my one child. 16 hours for summer hours, not a problem. Your mileage may vary.

Sorry dropped a zero, typical full day camp min hours 6 for 30 a week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back