Parents Sweaty palms and not allowed chalk?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is your gymnast allowed to use chalk??

• yes

• no

• sometimes

Results are only viewable after voting.

TxGymMom1

Proud Parent
Recently my 7 y/o daughter's level 3 bar coach began telling the girls they are not allowed to use chalk on bars - whether at practice OR competition (they also are not allowed grips) -- this has become an issue because she gets sweaty palms (especially at meets, and has missed a skill because her hands slipped. I saw her frantically trying to dry her hands off on her competition leo seconds before her turn at a meet last weekend. Her coach is not big on explaining things - to the kids or the parents - but am I missing something?? Is there an issue with using chalk that I am unaware of? I don't want to rock the boat with him - but this is a problem.

Mine is level 3 and has been allowed chalk since pre-team. Weird the coach won't allow it, it serves a purpose.

I agree it's needed. I wonder if the coach is trying to minimize the socializing that goes on at the chalk. That's a huge issue I see with DD's team. Chattiness going on at the chalk and not really focusing or paying attention. Not the right solution, but maybe that's the issue?

Not sure when chalk was introduced but Pea always uses it on bars. I know that not chalk, but the chalk bucket has become an issue...too much chatting not enough work...not that I can sympathize ;)

I really appreciate your responses -- thought I might've missed some important reason chalk is not necessary.

I really appreciate your responses -- thought I might've missed some important reason chalk is not necessary.
Sometimes it's necessary to rock the boat, where safety is concerned and chalk is used for that reason, I would approach first the coach or if you feel intimidated have a private chat with HC

I agree. My DS has very sweaty palms. He will even sweat through chalk, so he is always reapplying. There is a reason for chalk.....I would definitely be talking ot the coach.

My dd would wig out if she couldn't use chalk at all. She chalks up after almost every turn. It isn't a social thing--just feels more secure on bars using it. I could understand the social excuse for practice but meets too? Seems weird, I agree with others, I would speak to coach or send an email.

Our coaches would probably scratch the team from bars if chalk wasn't allowed. It's not safe.

The kicker on the meet that didn't allow chalk in their gym was that one of their own gymnasts slipped on a dismount and tore her ACL and was done for the season...my daughter usually chalks her feet too so seeing that freaked her out

My competitive pole dancing sister (not an exotic dancer...) gave me a list of stuff to prevent sweaty palms on metal bars. There is stuff you can put on beforehand like a deodorant and it stops the sweating and you'd never know it's there and leaves no reside or anything on the bar.
Most of it is available on ebay. Particular one she commended for my DD was something called "dry hands". I suspect it's made by an Australian company. They market it for golf and cross-fit as well. There is a powder and a liquid form.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRY-HANDS-s...14?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a85b8f612

She never ended up trying it because she's mostly in gloves now and they allow chalk on the wooden bar, it was just the metal she had problems with.

My 7 year old pre-teamer is allowed chalk, has been since the start of last year. Initially the girls were so excited to get to use it that they chalked up ALL the time but now they just do it as needed...sometimes coach will even send them over there. My DD has VERY sweaty hands so she definitely needs it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back