Parents Switching gyms during season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Would anyone switch gyms after the season started or wait it out? JO optional gymnast who will have to scratch entire meets due to lack of skills on one event. Solid on all other events but not allowed to compete. Gym requires higher than minimum requirements for the event also to compete. Meaning more than USAG requirements and cannot substitute skills. Doesn’t seem like coaches even try to help… you either get it from the same drills or you don’t. Is even trying to switch during season crazy?

Is it still possible for her to get into meets at another gym? It's getting pretty late in the season to switch, but it might be worth reaching out to another gym in your area to see if they could take her and still get her into meets. Is she happy with the gym and the coaching otherwise?

JO optional gymnast who will have to scratch entire meets due to lack of skills on one event.

So she cannot compete on the other 3 events due to the one missing event?

That used to be our gym's policy as well (unless an athlete could not do one event due to injury) but thankfully, they have changed their tune on this one.

Yes, you can change gyms mid-season assuming you can find a gym willing to agree to this. We did this early in a season many years ago and my DD was able to compete 3 of the 5 meets with the new gym. I would caution you that gyms talk and even looking and asking other gyms might get back to your own gym and that can have its own repercussions (being asked to leave your current gym even if you don't have a spot at another one). My DD left our gym first and then a few weeks later wanted to go back to the sport, so we went elsewhere. The great thing was that a few meets between old and new gym overlapped and the meet director was able to transfer her registration so we did not lose money!

Yikes. Scratching the entire meet for one event is harsh. What happens if the kid is coming back from illness or minor injury and isn't quite ready (but has generally been hitting routines all season)? What happens if the kid suddenly has a block and is unable to safely do back tumbling passes? Maybe I could see this policy if meets occurred every week for 3 months. There are so many unknowns that happen throughout the year and the meet season is so short as is.

Yes it is the policy at the gym. Is that unusual?

Each gym can make whatever policy that they would like.

As far as it being unusual... I know more clubs that scratch per event than clubs that scratch per meet in the case that skills / routines are not ready. Is it unusual... I wouldn't say it's unusual... however... I would say that you are in the 10% club. In the optional levels... we have rotated with many clubs that have had kids touching out on one or two events.

Touching a kid out (scratching) on a event because they are not ready is normal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back