WAG Taking an "F" for middle school PE

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone!

I am newish here and this is my first post. My DD was a level 7 gymnast last year. She trains around 20 hours/week. She is in 6th grade. She skips PE with the understanding of school administrators even though she was not given "formal" permission to do so.

She just got her report card and it listed "F" for PE. I asked the admins about it and they said "yes, if she doesn't go to class she gets an F. They also said it won't keep her from moving to 7th grade and that grades for Middle School don't really matter".

I'm just wondering if anyone can think of if/why I should be concerned? We plan to stay in the local public school system through 12th grade. She has an A in every other class. Given her huge sleep needs and her commute/gym schedule, going to PE isn't even really an option but I'm wondering if I'm forgetting something I should be concerned about...

Thanks!

Probably just the ancillary and/or psychological impact of failing a class -- not being eligible for honor roll or honor society, not being allowed to attend school dances/events, being ineligible to run for student council or participate in school clubs/activities, things like that.

Of course, I'd be super po-ed if the admin knew and gave tacit approval to skip and class but then gave her an F with no warning. That is really terrible.

A very small thing, if your district does the Presidential Honors at the end of 8th grade, they factor in their grades from all the years. Not sure that is worth it though.

I'm not sure of your definition of important, but I know that would have devastated my DD. She had an A in every class she ever took in public school (K-8) and now has had an A in every class she's taken at a community college. She takes great pride in her grades and works really hard at school. Had a school excused her from a class and then failed her anyway I would have been livid. That being the consequence of the plan should've been made known up front. You may have continued on plan anyway, but everyone would've been on the same page.

Grades for middle school don't matter unless they are classes that count towards high school graduation requirements, most commonly Algebra, Geometry and Foreign Language taken in 7th and/or 8th grade.

Either she has permission to skip or she doesn't ...and if she is penalized with an F, she doesn't. I would get this cleared up because I wouldn't want my child to keep getting an F on her report card , for whatever reason.
We had a similar experience. The school principal and specific teacher gave my DD permission to skip PE yet she had to come at lunch and after school another day to make up the times runs or she would fail. Their permission simply meant they wouldn't allow her to become truant. Leaving a period early constituted a 1/2 absence normally, and they added up to truancy pretty quick. They helped us with a workaround there, but it didn't effect class requirements at all.

No one on the internet can answer this question without knowing your state and your district. Rules vary tremendously across the states, and some states allow for far more local control than others. You need to set up a meeting with your school's administrators and sort this out, at least to get a fix on what rules are in place and what is required to waive them. Once you know more about the lay of the land, if it makes sense, people here can help you develop strategies.

I know it's popular on here for people to get their kids out of gym class, but do keep in mind that most gym classes are not outrageously strenuous for a typical gymnast. My two (one an XCel Diamond who did JO through L8 and the other a L9 guy) enjoy having the physical break during long school days of enforced inactivity.

Ugh that is frustrating. All states have different rules/requirements around required hours of PE per grade, and if they do/do not accept waivers. Have you looked into this for your state? You may be running into this all they way through 12th grade if you are in NY.
My DD is 18 hours a week, 5th grade and still takes PE - mostly because she says it kills her to watch other kids to bad pushups. LOL
Next year in 6th grade she will no longer be required to take PE, since in our state it is only required through 5th grade.

Our district has several high school honors and even a small high school scholarship for kids who have straights As from kindergarten through graduation. All classes count for this, including PE. My dd is a lifetime A student and she would be devestates to have an F. I think you really have to know your kid and how she will take it.

And the more I think about this, the more angry I feel towards your school. I'm so sorry this has hit your dd unexpectedly.

Either she has permission to skip or she doesn't ...and if she is penalized with an F, she doesn't. I would get this cleared up because I wouldn't want my child to keep getting an F on her report card , for whatever reason.

This.........................

And I'm sure the admins understood your kid was skipping. That doesn't mean there are not consequences. And heck yes they should of explained that.

To add. In NYS you must participate in gym to get your HS diploma. You can not skip.

I agreee. My DD has permission to skip PE and her report card shows "N/A" for PE. An "F" is not appropriate if she is allowed to skip gym class.

Reactions: sce
You may be running into this all they way through 12th grade if you are in NY.

I really can not stress enough in NY, as things currently are. Its not just an F. They will not issue a diploma until the missed PE is made up.

I really can not stress enough in NY, as things currently are. Its not just an F. They will not issue a diploma until the missed PE is made up.

The kid in the OP is in middle school. Middle school and high school are totally different. Most likely the mom knows that the kid will have to do PE in high school; but that doesn't mean anything for what she needs in middle.

Honestly, no one will care (except for daughter) if she never shows up for PE and gets an "F". They won't hold her back. It won't prevent her from getting a specific class in high school. 7th grade, DD was exempted from PE, no grade given. 8th grade, new principle refused to do exemption. I told my daughter if she could skip PE and do homework if it was ever overwhelming. but as you know, many of these gymnasts are overachievers and can't stand the thought of getting a bad grade, even in a subject which doesn't matter.

Yes, in high school, many schools have graduation requirements dependent on passing PE so perhaps it's best they get used to the workload now as middle graders.

Honestly, no one will care (except for daughter) if she never shows up for PE and gets an "F". They won't hold her back. It won't prevent her from getting a specific class in high school. 7th grade, DD was exempted from PE, no grade given. 8th grade, new principle refused to do exemption. I told my daughter if she could skip PE and do homework if it was ever overwhelming. but as you know, many of these gymnasts are overachievers and can't stand the thought of getting a bad grade, even in a subject which doesn't matter.

Yes, in high school, many schools have graduation requirements dependent on passing PE so perhaps it's best they get used to the workload now as middle graders.

Great if that works in your state and school district. We do not know anything about the policies in the school district where OP's daughter is enrolled. There could be consequences, which is why OP needs to have a sit down with the administrators to work this out.

At our school, there would be some consequences impacting extracurricular activities etc. An F is probably not a good thing. It would appear they may be unable to waive the PE requirement in your district?? You should contact the school - get the counselor and principal involved. I would think an N:A or disenrolling her would be best for you if it's possible. An F may indicate they did not really or can't agree to this. You may need to do an online PE course instead if you don't want the F. In our district, when it's just a course or two, the school initiates the enrollment and approves the course (they pick the vendor). They can be "assigned" to a study hall or counselor for that time in the schedule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back