Coaches Teaching bhs with minimal spotting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CreateMagic

Coach
Proud Parent
I have some rec girls who are ready to start actually learning a bhs, and we have done many drills (strong back bend, excellent form over a barrel-- and I insist they have a solid jump OVER, not INTO the barrel, snap downs...). Basically worked each section separately. We are moving into where they need to be spotted, and in my, ahem, younger years, I'd hand spot, stop in the middle, make them feel each piece, and spot for repetition and muscle memory ad nauseum.

However, my now 40 year old body, with its connective tissue issues, rebels when I do this. I spent most of last year in pain with tendinitis in my arm stemming from spotting, which only resolved after months of not spotting.

I know some of you here fully understand my pain (pun intended) of not being able to do things the way my younger self used to, and have excellent tips and tricks for training young bodies without sacrificing our own. Please share what you can!

These girls are mostly in the 8-10 year old range, some smaller, but some approaching my own size (5'1" and like 120lbs-- fun-size adult over here!)

Thank you!

We are moving into where they need to be spotted, and in my, ahem, younger years, I'd hand spot, stop in the middle, make them feel each piece, and spot for repetition and muscle memory ad nauseum.

I'm in the same position you are in... it's a struggle to not be able to do what I once did. I have to admit... I have now moved onto hiring / training other coaches to do what I once did. After 30 years of coaching (25 years full-time)... I am 100% convinced that spotting is the best method.

The thing is... it's quality over quantity...
  • Double spot... get a second coach
  • Use an overhead spotting rig
  • Use a giant resi hill into a foam pit
These things can all help you spot less or spot in a different way and they are super fun.

I am 100% convinced that spotting is the best method.

For the BHS... the BHS is a skill that I prefer to spot until they are basically doing it by them selves... jumping right out of my arms.

For the BHS... the BHS is a skill that I prefer to spot until they are basically doing it by them selves... jumping right out of my arms.
Agreed, and that's where my dilemma lies. And I will often ignore my body until I'm in so much pain is intolerable. I'm trying to get ahead of it this year. Thanks for the ideas!

Also... you could build some bungee systems. They work pretty good if you have enough belts to have all the kids in a belt and you just swap the bungees.

Gym-Nation looks to have a nice little setup.

I had a gymnast learning bhs that I felt was just a little bit too big for me to spot safely for a brand brand new bhs. Once all her drills were good I had her go from the edge of the trampoline down a soft wedge into the foam pit, and still spotted a little bit but with the set up being there as a safe and soft landing.

This is happening to me too. I am in rec and I am ready for my back hand springs but my coach is pregnant and cannot spot me.

We have success with wedge in foam pit. The down-hill squish factor makes it safe for kids to get a lot of reps in without the need for a spot (or a much lighter spot).
I second this. The "cheese" mat is invaluable for BHS. I also agree that there is no perfect replacement for spotting (I'm increasingly thankful that my body is holding up after 20 years!) We will typically do stations in our beginner classes where they go over the boulder, down the cheese, and then we spot on the floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back