MAG Tech Sequences/Future Stars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So D is 12 and competing level 8 this season. I think we have a hc while we keep looking for an experienced one, but we are pretty happy with the situation.

My question is, how do I approach him about doing FS or TS (JE) this season? D really wants to do JE but at this point I am not sure it is worth it. I would like to at least bring it up as an option.

Do you think there is still time to get ready for these, while working optional routines?

And a follow up question...

When should routine construction start?

I think you should just ask the HC what he thinks. If you're still in touch with the former HC, he might be a resource as well.

What our coaches have said is that some of the guys doing tech sequences in our state should not be doing them. They believe that it only makes sense to do the tech sequences and go JE is you're on a level where, if they were in FS, they could make nationals. A few of our top guys who might have gone JE in some gyms went JO at DS's gym last season because the coaches thought they'd have a better chance of breaking out of the pack and making an impression in the JO stream than in the JE stream.

For the optionals on DS's team, routine construction sort of started over the summer, when each guy was asked to propose routines to the coaches. The program director followed up with them last week and asked them again if they had not yet turned them in. Routine construction will begin in earnest after fall schedule starts. Our first meet is likely to be in December.

I think D had a shot at nationals last year had they done FS. Sigh. So hard :(

I know they have barely started routine construction. Our first meet will be Nov or Jan depending on whether or not we do Judge's Cup.

Hi skschlag, I'm new here but old mag mom. FS has changed alot from years past but I think I'd talk to the coach to get started now!

Agree with the above....I'm not a mag mom, but our former gym had a huge boys program with a big FS team and I'm friends with many of their parents, so I have some recent background. I would say it is best to just ask outright. Since the coach is new, he may not really have given it a lot of thought, might not know that you're interested, etc. I know last year, there was a lot of confusion with the changes and how to best approach the different streams, but hopefully a lot of that will have shaken out a bit by now. If you're interested, I would ask him now so that there is ample time to prepare. Also, if it is something he's not planning to do, then at least you'll know,

Good luck!

A few of our top guys who might have gone JE in some gyms went JO at DS's gym last season

There were several boys in our region that went JO that scored well and I thought could have been JE. I wondered why the coach didn't have them do JE

The gym had the older/higher level boys do JE but not the level 8/9 who imo was good enough. But I think your right, it is an extra thing and that same gym doesn't do future stars either and they have great kids who could do very well at that too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back