WAG The best things about your gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It looks like my dream to open a gym is going to happen sooner than expected. It won't be in the immediate future but more like 2-3 years instead of the 5-8 I was previously imagining.
I'd like to make it the best gym around so I'd like to get an idea of things you love about your gym. And things you don't like as well, so I can avoid them.
Thanks!

The best things about my gym are the things you can controll, the absolute best is the feeling of being In a separate family than my actual one. Having my teammates support me no matter what, and my coaches being by my side no matter what. But one other thing I would love is that I wish we had more one floor for tumbling and team that would be great

I love the fact that my child is pushed to progress in a safe way. I can drop her off and know that she is getting the best coaching possible and is being given the opportunity to work to her full potential with no limits.

Plenty of equipment. Foam pits for practicing skills safely. Clean.

From a parents view: comfortable viewing area, open viewing policy but it does not have to be too close to the floor (can even be glassed off or something). Clear line of communication between coaches and parents.

From a coaches POV: lots of equipment with good flow to keep several groups working comfortably at the same time, being able to rotate without stepping on eachother. Parent viewing away from floor. ;)

ETA: this is my "wish list" :)
What I love about my actual gym is that there is adequate amounts of equipment, foam pits and decent parent viewing. There is adequate coach communication and a clear line of accessibility to a coach if needed (since I also work there I probably have even a clearer accessibility than most). I love that we have two floors. I like the mingling of rec classes and team, but selfishly it would be great to have rec classes completely separately (in another gym)...

If your planning to teach high level bar skills I would have a bar with a pit underneath and a seat of un evan bars over a pit. The UCLA gym has this and its really cool.
At my gym I don't like how one side of the floor is up against a wall with mirrors because if you screw up your pass you could hit the wall.
Also if you plan to have lockers for team members you should make sure there is more than enough as your team will grow.
Try to keep team uniforms and warmups and gym bag fees to as little as possible because it's already an expensive sport. (Also you could do a team leo hand me down when kids have growth spurts)

I love that our gym owner is also the head coach and is always on the floor, working with all the levels, the entire workout. Shows me he cares about his gym, him team, ALL of his team. At our previous gym, the owner was barely there, and when he was, he hid in the office.

Having a pit that is large enuf and angled correctly to cover multiple apparatus is ideal...tumbling, vault, bar over it, etc.

Parent viewing area is a must, behind glass is awesome for both the parents and gymnasts.

I agree with all the comments above.

Equipment that suits all gymnasts! As an older rec gymnast they made me use a bar that was way to short for me!

I think the best thing about my dds gym is although they may not have a foam pit, they still find everything they can do to help kids advance to higher levels. Another thing I love is that all the coaches are approachable,if I have a concern or need to tell them something about dds health I can always just go and talk. I can say though we don't have the most organized gym and that's one thing I would change.

As a parent it is important to me that there is enough equipment so that I am not paying for my DD to just stand around while waiting for a turn, also that there are enough coaches so each group is not so large that individual coaching is a competition each practice. One thing I have noticed (and confirmed) at my gym is the way that a coach progresses instead of just coming in and having a particular coaching position. i.e. They all start out as Rec coaches and when there is an opening they go to developmental and serve as a developmental coach (each level has a few coaches but one head coach per level) then they become Head Developmental Coach from there they go to be a level 1 coach then the Head Level 1 Coach,then a level 2 Coach then th Head Level 2 Coach and so on. Gym owners (husband and wife team) serve as co Head Coaches to both the girls and boys competition squad. The reason why I like the coaches leveling is because as a parent you can be comfortable with the new coach in your DD new level because you have seen them coach before even if it was a lower level. I also imagine as the coaches progress they are getting training at a higher level for each before they progress.

One thing I have always thought would be nice, even if my DD is never interested, was if they offered more of the different forms of gymnastics. Right now the gym offers Women's Artistic, Men's Artistic, Cheer, and Parkour (whatever that is): But I would like to see Rhythmic and Acrobatic gymnastics also offered. Also the parent viewing area is not really all that comfortable we have a choice of metal bleachers (ouch) on the floor level, or in the balcony we get to scrabble for wooden stools.

I would say, from reading all the posts on here, a clear progression plan, and open and clear lines of communication with parents. If parents are fully aware of the development steps for their child and where they are on that journey, 90% of the "issues" raised here would be quoshed.

Thinking from a gym owners perspective ( and yes I'm only a parent :rolleyes:) it's great having rec classes in with competitive as usually the rec kids love to watch the competitive kids, and often families have children in both. If they were in seperate venues then often families couldn't involve both kids.
Good luck with your gym!

Be honest and upfront. In our gym there was always confusion and frustration around coaches fees. Finally the HC provided a detail list of the expenses and where the money was going- that made a big difference. Same basic idea with all the fees- this is an expensive sport so anytime there are surprise expenses parents become unhappy.

Also I'd say know your gym philosophy and let the parents and kids know upfront. If it's slow and steady through the compulsory levels or you only accept young hot shots on team or whatever.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. All the responses really help me hone my vision of what the gym will be like. This will be a slow process but it will give us time to do it right.

Two words: Free WiFi :p

Also...
- front desk person knows your name and is friendly
- coaches respond to emails reasonably quickly and front desk will give you their unique emails to reach them
- email reminders that payments are due and small discounts for paying ahead
- we seem to have better discipline than many as far as enforcing respectful and safe behavior. Visitors frequently comment on how organized and calm our gym is, and that our team kids are 'so nice - not crazy wild like at that other gym.' It is thanks to the coaches demanding and enforcing conduct at all times. Makes a huge difference.

The people.
They care about my kids, they keep them safe, they communicate with me when necessary and address concerns, it really is like one big family...plus they're getting great instruction. They are wonderful role models for my girls and it is so important to me for the girls to have other adults in their lives that they look up to and have close relationships with.
They could do a little better in the communication department in terms of schedules, etc for team/pre-team but they're getting there. :)

Two words: Free WiFi :p
Yes, this is a very nice gesture!

And most especially this:

- we seem to have better discipline than many as far as enforcing respectful and safe behavior. Visitors frequently comment on how organized and calm our gym is, and that our team kids are 'so nice - not crazy wild like at that other gym.' It is thanks to the coaches demanding and enforcing conduct at all times. Makes a huge difference.

I think for safety and sanity of everyone in the gym, that healthy, respectful conduct should be fostered as a culture, and regularly discussed, made example of, and enforced. Of everyone in the gym. (coaches, gymnasts, parents, families)

Without a doubt the best thing is our coaches! You can have all the facilities in the world but without a coach who knows the sport, is committed to the sport, loves the sport and who can truly coach it's just a pretty facility. At our gym there's no question that you are signing up for the head coaches program. It's successful and proven and there is very little tolerance for discussing a better way. I personally prefer this. I want to 100% trust the coach and program even if I don't understand all of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back