Parents The cupcake Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just today's psa to coaches to know your team's medical food restrictions and not use a food as a reward that will make a team member who you are trying to reward very sick. Nowadays there are very close fakes to most foods so the kids do not have to feel less valued.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't think the cupcake is the issue, it's the rewarding with sweet, fake food......
It is important to teach kids to make good choices with food. In the US, food has become pumped up with so much crap, it is hardly what it started out as. It is sold as healthy and good for you.

the cupcake isn't the issue, it is what is IN the cupcake and how much sugar and colorings are in it.....I have showed my kids that you can make any desert with half the amount of sugar and you can't tell the difference! Dark chocolate has MUCH less sugar, skip the milk chocolate. Scoop half the frosting off.

I usually use the 'store bought cupcake' or the 'party chicken nuggets' as an experiment. My kids don't like the taste and say it tastes like wired chemicals are in it. My daughter is 7 and hates store frosting. She says the sugar blast gives her a headache.

i live at work, then at the gym, then in the kitchen. I try my best to make everything from scratch (not always successfully).
i MAKE my kids eat their veggies, no soda, limit fat, they help me cook.....the occasional 'crap' can be used as a bonus.....i also have a problem rewarding with food. I do it, and have to stop...

i will reward with a good book? Or perhaps a trip to the park? We will see how that goes !!!

I hate treats after practice, healthy or otherwise, because of the time it takes my daughter to eat them. Practice ends at 7:30, and I have to get her home, fed, bathed, and in bed by 8:30. I do not have time to stand around after practice while she eats a popsicle (which the gym gives out every day during the summer!) that is just going to spoil her dinner. Bringing it in the car is not an option, since she dripped a purple one on the seat of my brand-new car last summer. So I am the mean mom who makes my kid cry by telling her she can't have the popsicle.

To the original poster, why not ban the cupcakes and start a special gym birthday tradition instead? Something like a song, a game at the end of practice, or a sash that the birthday girl wears during warm-ups.

We've had this three times since the beginning of summer schedule (so one month). My DD can't ever have the treats due to food allergies so I always have to keep cash in my wallet to get something from the vending machine :rolleyes: Her bday is coming up next month and I am considering bringing something in. After all the cookies and cupcakes that have been brought in I don't think they'd appreciate fruit. Plus there are 48 kids and 4 coaches...siblings always try to get in on the action...just not sure what to bring yet, if anything.

If I made a suggestion someone would tell me that their kid is allergic, doesn't like or can't have what I suggest.

Wait, didn't we already have that thread?

Instead I will suggest, bring in the treat your Daughter likes the best. Its her day and it should be about her favorite treat to share.

if i made a suggestion someone would tell me that their kid is allergic, doesn't like or can't have what i suggest.

Wait, didn't we already have that thread?

Instead i will suggest, bring in the treat your daughter likes the best. Its her day and it should be about her favorite treat to share.

exactly!! ;-)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back