The English

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone tell me why the juniors are scoring so high? For example on scores the first placed junior beat ruby harrold. Are they doing really strong routines or are the seniors a bit under-par? Or perhaps playing it a bit safe because it was a trial for the Europeans/Commonwealth Games?

She fell going from low bar to high. I didn't catch the fall as it happened as my eyes were over at the beam but we were right in front of bars and her face said that's not where she is used to falling. She looked very much at home in that division though.

Tye is really excellent, oozes character and confidence. She started on floor and her routine was pure sass from start to finish. Massive double-double in her first tumble; she kind of laid out her cards from the start. She is so exciting to watch.

Someone else I should have mentioned was Georgina Clements on floor. She's never really caught my eye before but she moved beautifully today.

As for why the juniors are scoring so high, that's not really my area. Georgia-Mae Fenton's bars were more perfect than Ruby's, to my eye anyway. She almost didn't look real, especially up against all those much bigger girls. From what I saw today, the juniors score high because they are amazing. The future is blindingly bright.

I so wanted to go today, but it was just too far to go with a very busy couple of weeks coming up! It sounds like the competition of the weekend. The junior talent in this country is just amazing. Am I right in thinking half the top ten were first time juniors?

I've just realised that Rhyannon Jones' 'guest' score would have put her fourth AA and second, only to Catherine Lyons, on beam too...

It's cooking up to be a fantastic British and then European. I can't wait :D

For the scores, the juniors have slightly amended rules which makes it easier to score higher (I'm 99% sure), but they are deffently up there with the seniors, they could compete against them with the same rules and beat a lot of them!

Georgia-Mae's bars were stunning this afternoon, really beautiful. And I loved Ellie Downie's floor. Catherine Lyons' fall off bars was unfortunate and seemed as much a surprise to her as everyone else. I loved her beam work and that floor moves me every time. Tye Mattis was formidable, even just walking around during yesterday's comp. She manages to command your eye, even with so much going on in one room. I always love Amy Tinkler too and I thought April Maslen was gorgeous today.

Hannah Whelan is carrying an injury at the moment so she was rested. I don't know whether she will be right for the British but I hope she is.
Georgia Mae Fenton's Bars
Www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcbo9-UYVSE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Catherine Lyons fell on her mo. There is a video on youtube now. Rochelle Douglas said on Twitter

"Watching @CatherineLyonsx bars from the comp and find it slightly amusing and worrying that someone so tall can miss a mo!"

I can only imagine the look on her face when it happened!

THe juniors look to have an amazing future, lets hope they can stay fit and healthy!!

Is Junior Euros a team comp?? Surely they must have a chance of a medal there?

Some of the Seniors however seem to be scoring quite below par at the moment....

Glad to however see Becky Downie scoring so well, that girls so deserves a major champs medal

Been watching the youtube vids, great work by the juniors.

I have to say not a big fan of Catherine Lyons beam routine, not very elegant.

Enjoyed the rest though !

I really like her beam routine. I think it's really comtemporary and different. I know quite a few people who agree with you, though. My daughter and I had a little chuckle at the moonwalk bit but the judges appeared unmoved.

Just goes to show how subjective gymnastics can be.

Becky was at the 2006 commonwealth games in Melbourne - not Manchester.
You are right though, she was only 14 - so a junior then.

Have the rules changed @coach1234 ?

Hmm not sure about that one? I'm pretty sure that at Delhi they only had a senior team maybe I'm wrong and they do have a junior team

I think they changed it- it used to be over 14 for commonwealths, but then was changed to bring it in line with FIG.

I vaguely remember the welsh being fairly cross about it in 2010, as Beddoes, Romaeo 1 and 2 et al were all 14/15 and the best welsh gymnasts by far, then the rule change meant they couldn't take them.

Ah I see. I didn't even notice the change and I am an avid commonwealth games follower!
Thanks for the confirmation!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back