The first rip..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter just got her first little rip right in the middle of her palm. She says it hurts when she swings on the bar and she has her last little meet this Sunday. Is there anything I can do for it to help it heal before the meet? It's still several days away so I'm hoping that's plenty of time. Should I just keep having her put lotion on it? Do I tape it? She won't let me take the skin off...is it ok to just leave it or should I sneak in while she's sleeping and try to cut it off? Help! :confused:

Now she's officially a gymnast! :p I think you have to take the skin off, because you want the skin on her hand to be as flat as possible. I didn't want to pull the skin off of my first few rips, so I just waited for that skin to die and then clipped it off with nail clippers :] My rips usually heal in a few days, and just make sure it stays moisturized or else the new skin might crack.

Why didn't I search first?? So sorry. I always forget about searching for old posts. :blush::blush:

Now she's officially a gymnast! :p

That's what I told her! I said that I'd heard that once you got your first rip that it means that you're a real gymnast. She actually got a little giddy and said "I'm a real gymnast now?" in complete wonder. She said the same thing later in the day again. Pretty cute. :)

Thanks for the advice! I might try to clip the skin off while she's sleeping. She'll scream and cry and get all dramatic like I'm chopping off her arm or something if I do it while she's awake.

Kathy was so excited when she got her first rip at Woodward last year. Thanks for the reminder to pack bag balm and my pattented design known as "socks turned into fingerless gloves" when she goes this year so that she can treat her rips. Last year I was pretty clueless, but by now I've dealt with a number of them.

Have the coach snip the skin off. The coach will do it in a very matter-of-fact way and your DD probably will let her do it. Kathy's coach has snipped her rips before and she doesn't even flinch. I think, when it's mom doing the snipping, the kids pick up on all of those "oh poor baby I don't want to hurt you" vibes.

That is her badge of honor! I'm sure you're reading through many threads on rips, but yes clip the skin. MaryA had a great idea in having the coach do it.
NO to skin lotion. I've used Prep H and dd wears a large pair of cotton socks over her hand with the rip at bedtime. Usually gets it healing in 24 hours.

We got our first one the other day too, but ironically it was from monkey bars, not gymnastics! LOL

I just put neosporin and a band aid on it, but I am going to look up the old threads and see if there is anything better I can do next time!

Hope it heals quickly for your dd! I would try to clip the skin (we did and it seemed to help.)

We have a couple different "fixes" depends on how fast of heal time we have. We use diaper cream or hemorrhoid cream atleast 2x day then at night we put some on and I have her wear a latex glove to bed on that hand. If she has one for a meet I buy the skin glue and it holds enough for her to do bars.

Thanks for all of the advice! I did read through the threads and never realized there's so many different things people do to heal them. I ended up cutting the skin off when she was sleeping. I told her about it this morning and she said "Wow! It didn't even hurt." Hopefully she'll realize that for the next time! ;) I put some neosporin on it but didn't have anything else that was mentioned. It looks a bit better today and she was swinging all over her bar at home today so I guess it doesn't hurt all that much anymore. Thanks again!! :)

The only reason I didn't recommend something like NuSkin is your dd's age. That stuff can sting/burn depending on the size of the rip and a 5yo may not do well with it.
Next time you're at the store just pick up 1 or 2 of the "remedies" mentioned and you'll be ready for the next rip---and there will be another:)
I would back off on any extra bar play or practice to let that rip heal before the meet. What really hurts is a rip over a rip.

We (as coaches) always clipped the skin off and recommended Preparation H to the parents....it is what I will do with DD when her time comes :)

ETA: Forgot to mention that I'm glad it seems to be feeling better for her!

My DD just got her first rip last night! She was a little bit of a drama queen about it. We clipped the skin, put soem neosporin and a bandaid on it. My question is this- what role should I play as parent when she gets these "little" injuries? I'm stuck between telling her she needs to get over it and focus on something else or giving her hugs and kisses for it. She's 6 and brand new to L3 team. I ended up giving her hugs and kisses and sent her back out to practice while telling her that a little bit of pain is part of every sport. She totally did not want to do her homework afterwards and complained about her hand hurting when she was writing. How do ya'll handle this? Thanks!

My DD just got her first rip last night! She was a little bit of a drama queen about it. We clipped the skin, put soem neosporin and a bandaid on it. My question is this- what role should I play as parent when she gets these "little" injuries? I'm stuck between telling her she needs to get over it and focus on something else or giving her hugs and kisses for it. She's 6 and brand new to L3 team. I ended up giving her hugs and kisses and sent her back out to practice while telling her that a little bit of pain is part of every sport. She totally did not want to do her homework afterwards and complained about her hand hurting when she was writing. How do ya'll handle this? Thanks!
Yeah, could use some advice here too. DD is such a drama queen when it comes to little injuries. She hurt her foot the other day while doing a vault, and even though I am sure it stung I know she wasn't really injured. I gave her a hug/kiss but tried to get her right back into class.

We always use Carmex on D's rips. Works like a charm. And he is always getting the big rips usually 2-3 days before state or regionals. Not sure why, but it seems to consistently happen!!

Boys are different though. They come out proud and showing off their rips! I don't think D has ever come out upset, but then again, his coach usually just handles the rips on the floor during workout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back