Parents The Gymnast Career Injuries Catalogue - Add Yours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My Gymnast's Injury Experience

Age now: 12
Age Started Gymnastics: 4 (is going into her 6th year of competitive gymnastics)
Current Level: L9
Hours/Week: 23 hours a week during summer; 20 hours a week during school year
Gymnastics injury 1: Sever's in one foot
Outcome: will eventually resolve itself; Uses the following for pain management: soft tissue massage (3x a week), cold water soak (after each massage), compression( after each training session), and wears an X brace (during training).

My ODD:
Age now: 14
Age Started Gymnastics: 8
Current Level and Hours/Week: Training L9 22hrs Summer/20 School

Gymnastics injury 1: Age 13 Torn UCL at Thumb, casted 6 weeks but trained throughout

Gymnastics injury 2: Age 13 Broken great toe, casted 6 weeks but trained

Gymnastics injury 3: Age 13. Stress reactions on both sides of L4, braced for 12 weeks, additional heavy PT for 8 weeks and slow move back to practice- out entire season

Gymnastics injury 4: Age 14 dislocated finger with chipped bone - 4 weeks but trained throughout

Sever's at age 10-11
Osgood Schlatters at 13 - present, PT, icing, acupuncture

My YDD
Age now: 9
Age Started Gymnastics: 5
Current Level and Hours/Week: T&T L7/8 9 hrs
Gym Injury 1 She was on jo pre team and fell off uneven bars breaking both bones in left arm. No surgery. multiple casts for 3 mo. PT. Back in gym to condition after 2 weeks, No lingering issues. Now in T&T

My ODD:
Age now: 12
Age Started Gymnastics: 7
Current Level and Hours/Week: XP 16 hrs
Age 1o Osgood. PT. knee strap, ice limited vault
Age 11 Lingering ankle pain, MRI, brace 2-3 mo. PT. Modified tumbling/vault. Much improved after growth spurt. Still ices and uses heel cups.
We have been very lucky

Age now: 10

Age started gymnastics: 5

Current Level and Hours/Week: Training L7, 18 hours per week

Gymnastics Injury 1: Age 9. Stress fracture of the distal femur. Total recovery time 10 weeks - Cast for 3 weeks, fixed leg brace for 4 weeks. Non-fixed leg brace for 3 weeks. She was out of gym completely for the first 7 weeks (started swimming at week 4). Conditioning and low impact dance only from weeks 8-10.

No ongoing pain or complications in the leg after return.

@raenndrops - I feel for you and for her! She is not a crier, but the few times that she's slipped on come down on the beam on her knee has brought her to the ground in tears. I was a runner, but not until high school and I was mostly done growing, so thankful that never happened to me. I have to wonder what percentage of gym injuries/chronic issues would be avoided if they weren't training while growing...probably a good 50% at least!
I have a similar problem to O-S (but its a degenerative knee disease that ended up with me having no cartilage in my knees by the time I was 35), it was diagnosed at almost 8 years old. Football probably wasn't the best "first" sport for me. I did a bunch of other sports over the years including baseball, basketball, tumbling, bmx racing, volleyball, track, and softball- as a catcher.
I can still be taken out easily... Like your dd, I was never a crier- but wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (even though she took me out in 8th grade with a math book to the knee while on the stairs at school :mad:, lol).

Good news: not broken! Bad news: severely sprained and strained. But, not broken! :)

That is good news but will still take time and work to recover. Be sure to fi da good PT. my deserve rely sprained his ankle in January he works hard at his therapy but fully recovered.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back