The importance of straddle press handstands

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NewtoGym

Proud Parent
What is the importance of straddle press handstands. I know it is a strength exercise, but it seems to be everywhere on youtube and I know that TOPS tests it. Our gym does not seem to work these (at least they haven't started in my daughter's level nor have I ever seen any girl do them in the gym). Do you feel that gymnasts need to have this skill or are there other exercises that might be just as good. Curious!

The coaches in NZ and Australia also test straddle press handstands in conditioning testing, and it seems to be a very good way to assess abdominal strength (as well as shoulder strength and balance skills). From what I have seen, this is a core skill amongst senior competitive gymnasts that does not have a replacement skill. I am very aware of this skill as my DD has used this mount in her beam routine for the last two years and my DS has used it in his floor routines.

Straddle presses develop shoulder flexion and extension strength, both are essential components in gymnastics training. These are the muscles used for cast to handstands, clear hips and many other circling skills on bars, planches and so on.

no rope climbing and no press handstands= no gymnastics.

When should this be taught? My daughter is young (just turned 7). They used to climb the rope every practice, but since competition season started they don't very often and they have not started the press handstands at all. Is this something normally taught when they are older?

7 is about the time you begin both consistently no matter the time of year. it's tough to begin this kind of training under 7 because [most] american children don't like pain. lol.:)

They really started press handstands during the end of level 5. At dd gym you need to have your press handstand before you're allowed to be a 7. My 11yo got hers early this fall and my 5yo got it shortly after but she did it on her own following in her sisters foot steps they really don't seem to do them on pre-team. As lvl 6 now, getting ready for 7 in June, I see them work on this a lot.

7 definitely seems like the right age to start. Often little kids seem to get them faster because they have shorter legs and more flexibility. It's funny that they don't have them in the girls compulsory routines. They're in all the boys compulsory routines with more difficult variations as they go up the levels.

Our gym starts on these as early as preteam. I remember my dd working on press handstands when she was 5 yo and climbing the rope when she was 4. Now that she is a Level 7, they work on both every practice.

Thanks for asking this! I was curious too since I see them all over YouTube. I've never seen my daughter's pre-team group (Level 3, 5-7 year olds) do them at all. Once the coaches had them sit in a straddle and push down on the floor to get their legs and bootie up off the floor, but that's the only time I've ever seen them do anything close. They climb the rope maybe once a month if they have time at the end of class. I do see some of the older kids doing them so I guess at some point they'll be introduced to straddle presses..

7 is about the time you begin both consistently no matter the time of year. it's tough to begin this kind of training under 7 because [most] american children don't like pain. lol.:)
So the press just isn't for conditioning purposes? I get the shoulder rotation, and know that it is needed for other skills- but it isn't to help build strength predominately?

J started at 6 1/2ish. It took about 3-4 months for her to be able to actually control a press on the way up and down.

DDs gym doesn't do TOPS, but they do start the press handstands as soon as a child is on the team track/developmental team (which starts at age 3-4 and they train for form, shapes and strength). They are part of their regular practice/conditioning circuit, as is the rope climb.

I don't actually know if the straddle press handstand is a very good indicator of success or strength since it relies so much on age/body type (or seems to). Only one of our level 9/10s can do an unspotted press handstand from a straddle sit, yet several 7-year-old level 5s can. Obviously these older girls do not have trouble with handstands on bars or strength in general.

I don't actually know if the straddle press handstand is a very good indicator of success or strength since it relies so much on age/body type (or seems to). Only one of our level 9/10s can do an unspotted press handstand from a straddle sit, yet several 7-year-old level 5s can. Obviously these older girls do not have trouble with handstands on bars or strength in general.

Well, they should be able to do some kind of press handstands though. I have trouble now doing a press from a straddle sit because I have poor hip flexor flexibility. I can do it if I roll into it. But I can pike press from a drag or stand, and I can do handstand press/planche down to just about where my arms are (not all the way through to support) and press back up without touching multiple times. These are important too, although I generally think at least trying to work on stalder type presses is important (at least press downs, and from a candlestick...even if they have to roll into it from a panel mat against the wall).

At our gym the boys do it from when they are first selected for pre team - age 4/5 - 7. They do all types of presses, rope climbs, etc every practice - they seem to just work on shapes, strength, flexibility, and basic stuff. No real skills as such until they go into the proper team! They advance individually when the coach sees fit.

The girls do not work so much on strength and presses at the early age (I dont know why!?) but seem to have what I would call 'proper' gym skills at a younger age, but the boys way overtake them as they get a little older (and the boys team is smaller, but more succesful - you would think the girls hc might take note of this!)

Our team girls work on them right after their warm up/general stretch, but before going into apparatus rotations, then the work on rope climbs during conditioning afterwards. The group that does them tends to be the Level 4s and up - the Levels 2 and 3 work out slightly differently.

Press handstands are good drills for cast handstands (this may explain my inability to cast to a handstand until recently) on bars as well as strength exersizes.

Yeah i am agree with you guys...
Often little kids seem to get them faster because they have shorter legs and more flexibility.
Thanks

I don't see them work on them often at my dd gym but my dd learned to do them for fun a while back. Saw someone do it on youtube and thought it looked neat so she started practicing. She is 9 and does it from sitting and it looks so cool. She said she is the only one in her level who can do them though...????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back