The International Look

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was watching the coverage of the Visa Championship and want to know what they are talking about when they say a gymnast has the 'international look'?

My guess would be that they are referring to the gymnast's style of movement and skills. If you were to watch, say, a Russian gymnast compared with a gymnast from China, you'd notice a difference between the two. It's just based on different coaching and choreography!

So I suppose the commentator was meaning that those gymnasts have interesting style compared with the others, especially since all gymnasts are from the same country in this particular competition.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that international style meant a more artistic gymnast - beautiful lines, graceful dance, classic presentation style (think ballet inspired Russian gymnast). International style is often used in opposition to a power tumbler style. I believe Nastia's style has been called international as opposed to Shawn who is a very talented American style gymnast. Judges from other countries often favor the graceful gymnast, which is why having an international style desirable in a world team member.

that actually kinda makes sense standonherhands. Cause the kept saying that about Sam Shapiro. How she had beautiful linse, and was very artistic.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that international style meant a more artistic gymnast - beautiful lines, graceful dance, classic presentation style (think ballet inspired Russian gymnast). International style is often used in opposition to a power tumbler style. I believe Nastia's style has been called international as opposed to Shawn who is a very talented American style gymnast. Judges from other countries often favor the graceful gymnast, which is why having an international style desirable in a world team member.

That's what I thought it meant also. Our country seems to produce very powerful gymnasts (I think short and muscular) where other countries emphasis long and ballet like.
When my middle dd was on preteam there were two types of kids...short and stocky...then the kids that were short but all leg.

My DD has been said to have the more international style too as she is more the artistic type, so would say that is right on the money.

They just spoke about this tonight on the Visa Championship coverage. The "International" look is defined as those gymnasts that have the European look the other country judges are looking for at competitions. Specifically he mentioned clean lines and good form especially on bars where the USA is weak. They made mention of it several times. Pointed toes, straight legs, hitting handstands, in otherwords, good basic form!

I was watching this part of Nationals, they said 'international look' regarding Mattie Larson. She did so fantastic!! Her coaches were hoping for top 3, so good for her getting 2nd. If she and Rebecca make it to the Olympics, it's gonna be a battle of style again methinks. I love Rebecca and Shawn's gymnastics, but I'm a sucker for performance on floor, extension, and perpetual toepoint.

I really hope Rebecca can liven up her floor a bit, perhaps smile after she walks off an event. Her aggression, risk and flight are all there, can't argue her dedication or bravery. I think when it comes to an international competitor it helps to have the crowd backing you. It's not everything, but it sure can't hurt to have people willing you to win! The way Mattie smiles on the podium and throws herself into exuberant hugs post performance is relatable, what people imagine they themselves would do if they could work it like an elite. I hope Rebecca can incorporate some of that into her competition style. There are a lot of fans that don't know technicalities yet will follow a favorite obsessively. May not win over judges all the time, but as a pro athlete endorsements are something to think about too. I really want to see Mattie/Rebecca 2012!

they have been talking about this "look" for 30 years. they have no idea what their talking about anyway so just ignore the comment.

and you should know that in the 80's & 90's it was about not being fat and big...when they were 3' tall and weighed 45 lbs.

don't listen to this dreck.

and i'm really hoping that al trautwig OR tim dagget walk under high bar when leyva is doing a dismount. double double for the double trouble. kill 2 birds 1 stone, yes?

now that would be "universal sport" entertainment!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back