These girls are so hard on themselves!

• Thread starter Mack_the_Ripper
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mack_the_Ripper

I saw this on tumblr and I'm not sure where it's originally from, but here's what Viktoria Komova has to say about her individual all-around and team silver medals:

"Thank you everyone for your support. If it hadn't been for you guys I would have spent the last two hours sobbing. Sorry I could not reply to all your messages. I'm sorry I didn't live up to your expectations. I imagine you will never forgive me."

Wow! I can't imagine the pressure for somebody who has to represent their country in such a high-publicity venue. Somebody needs to tell this girl being second place at the Olympics means you're practically the best gymnast in the world. Somebody also needs to tell her she still has individual finals and she'd better get herself together...

NPR did a story this morning on how bronze medal winners are happier than silver medal winners:

Would You Rather Win Silver Or Bronze? (Be Careful What You Wish For) : The Torch : NPR

It has to do with "framing," or to whom the athlete is comparing herself. Silver medalists tend to feel they have come up short in comparison with the gold medalist. A bronze medalist will feel like she did a great job in comparison to everyone who didn't make it onto the medal stand. What is not mentioned in the write-up, but is mentioned in the radio story, is that the results held even when the researchers controlled for the athlete's prior expectations.

In the photo posted with the story, however, Mustafina only looks a tiny bit happier than Komova.

"Thank you everyone for your support. If it hadn't been for you guys I would have spent the last two hours sobbing. Sorry I could not reply to all your messages. I'm sorry I didn't live up to your expectations. I imagine you will never forgive me."

That's pretty sad to read. Who does she think will never forgive her? She came across as a spoiled princess who didn't get her way on camera, pushing her coach, refusing to smile on the medal stand. Is it cultural to react that way? Is it the training? Is she a bit of a diva in Russia? Is the external pressure on her that much worse than I'd expect? Clearly if there was a "mental toughness" award it would go to the US. I know she's only a teenager, but to come that far in her sport, I would expect a little more maturity.

She did that in Worlds to when jordyn Wieber beat her. Why can't she just smile and tell everyone that she's happy to win the silver medal, even if she's not. Many, many, many girls dream of having that moment, and would be thrilled to even have a medal at all. And, most of those girls with that dream, won't even get close to that dream. I don't think she realizes that there's more to life than medals and scores.

I definitely don't think she is a "diva"...she feels like she has failed her country and her team twice. All of the WAG girls get emotional at the Olympics, and it's understandable - for many of them, almost their entire lives have gone into this one night. I mean, the whole American team was sobbing at Team Finals (joyous sobbing, but still).

That's pretty sad to read. Who does she think will never forgive her? She came across as a spoiled princess who didn't get her way on camera, pushing her coach, refusing to smile on the medal stand. Is it cultural to react that way? Is it the training? Is she a bit of a diva in Russia? Is the external pressure on her that much worse than I'd expect? Clearly if there was a "mental toughness" award it would go to the US. I know she's only a teenager, but to come that far in her sport, I would expect a little more maturity.

No, US gymnasts cried too. And the kind of pressure on Komova is unreal. It is (in my opinion) worse than what we have in the US (and there is a lot of pressure on those kids). Accordingly, I can forgive just about anything this kid may have done short of giving rude interviews or assault. I'm amazed at the comments directed at her even on this board by parents with kids in gymnastics. Hopefully their daughter will never come up short in such a spectacular fashion, or she will handle it with superhuman grace for a teenager.

Also, that wasn't Viktoria who pushed her coach away, unless I missed something (Aliya Mustafina DID do that), but I wouldn't read too far into it.

Please remember these girls are just that - girls. They are not adults. Some teenagers do a fine job of acting like adults, but not all do. There are adults who cannot handle the pressure under which these girls have had to perform. I found it unsettling that the U.S. broadcasters repeatedly discussed Mustafina's personality. Who remembers McEnroe (sp?) throwing adult temper tantrums back in the 80s on the tennis court? These girls didn't even come close to that.

These girls are hard on themselves, but I think it's largely because others have pushed and expected so much of them. It's not a stretch to guess that oftentimes their entire picture of themselves is wrapped up in how well they do gymnastics. Many of these countries have basically a state machine in place to produce top-tier athletes. I fear for the North Koreans. But, these girls will be fine - their countrymen love them.

Lastly, do understand that there are different cultural attitudes towards smiling. Many foreigners view U.S. citizens as smiling idiots, because we do smile a lot, to them at times when it is inappropriate.

From what I understand, Komova had been really really hyped up in Russia as THE next gold medal winner. Similar to the way Jordyn was hyped here. She had a lot of pressure on her to deliver. Putin himself even came to watch her perform.

Thinking about it, I think the American girls are probably given a lot of media coaching and are much more image conscious than some other competitors. Even Wieber, disappointed as she was, was able to speak to the media. I watched the Chinese girls have a total meltdown in front of the Chinese media on the night of team finals and I really think Americans are just more polished and media savvy (hey, some would say fake) than most.

I still think Komova could have pulled it together and tried to look happy for the medal ceremony (and kept the medal on her neck rather than shoving it in her pocket!), but whatever. She and Mustafina made some very gracious remarks the next day and had nothing but good things to say about Gabby. I tried to find the article and couldn't because there are just too many articles with these keywords but they were extremely complimentary. I think she was just disappointed.

The russian girl's actions may be from a residual of the pre-Berlin wall era. I don't know what their training circumstances are now, but in the "pre-wall" children started out with their local coach until/if they and theircoach progressed to the national training center.

With the selection to the NTC came perks for the gymnast and her family, and even more fo ascending to the international ranks. You want to talk about pressure....You fail miserably and you're sent back home, your family is moved out of the "spacious" 3 bedroom flat to their original 2 bedroom flat which may be shared by two or more families. Other luxuries your family once had access to are no longer available.

The old Soviet system as told to me by 2 different masters of sport, was very incentivised, and it was easy when USSR had such a depressed economy........

Maybe that model is presently in place on a smaller scale. For all we know Komova's hypotheticly ailing grandmother is no longer a "wiable canteedate" for that hip replacement surgery at the hands of the best doctors, and will now have to settle for a less expirienced surgeon, who knows????????

Being the same age as the girls at the Olympics and thus similar level of maturity I think of how I would react and lets be honest if I came in second I would probably cry because I was so close. The fact that she could put the .2ish down to a single instant in the competition on vault probably makes it even harder. It is simply a matter of she was so close and only just missed out after having done the floor routine of her life. Personally if that were me I would be bawling my eyes out because at that stage you have such a build up of emotions, crying is inevitable.

I am not angry, nor am I surprised nor do look down on her sportsmanship. I think she is only being human and is showing her emotions, it's normal. I do think shoving the medal in her pocket might have been a bit extreme and probably unnecessary it is just raw emotions. I would put my bottom dollar that she not the first 17 year old to let her emotions take over her.

Now that I really think about this, on vault, Komova kinda gave up on herself. It looks like she gave up, and took two extra steps. In the slow motion, it looks like she could've only taken 1 step.
Also, going a little off topic, Mustafina might have been able to save her fall. Though, she looks like she gave up as well.

I understand tears and pressure but if I acted upset for longer than a minute in public and on a medal stand my parents would never let me hear the end of it. They still bug me to be grateful when someone does me a favor and I do show grattitude and I am a grown up.

Includes semi-SPOILER for vault final

I understand tears and pressure but if I acted upset for longer than a minute in public and on a medal stand my parents would never let me hear the end of it. They still bug me to be grateful when someone does me a favor and I do show grattitude and I am a grown up.

This is what I'm talking about. I have no problem with tears and being upset - it's the Olympics and there's tons of pressure. What I have a problem with is the "sore loser" attitude. If you really watch her face at the medals ceremony (at least 10 minutes after the end of the competition), she was very ungracious to the woman handing her flowers and even the medal. If someone is hanging a silver medal around your neck, don't be rude to them. It's not her fault you had a step on your landing. If my daughter behaved that way, you can bet we'd be talking about it. Tears, fine. Rudeness, not fine. Go ahead and scream and yell and complain and blame in the car ride home. The medal stand is not the place for that. Compare her behavior to that of today's silver medalist and you'll see what I mean.

like iwannacoach said…….for the russian girls it is sooo much more than gymnastics…just the face that Putin was there says it all ! We are talking about Russia ! She probably LOST a lot more than the gold medal ! In Russia it is not just the sport it is about LIFE ! Think about it . You cannot compare sports in the US or Germany where I come from with Russia. I feel REALLY sorry for her !

She did that in Worlds to when jordyn Wieber beat her. Why can't she just smile and tell everyone that she's happy to win the silver medal, even if she's not. Many, many, many girls dream of having that moment, and would be thrilled to even have a medal at all. And, most of those girls with that dream, won't even get close to that dream. I don't think she realizes that there's more to life than medals and scores.
...that's a *very* american expectation - smile, be happy, be extremply friendly, at least look like it, no matter how you feel. in europe, at least in germany, you would be viewed as not being honest about your feelings when you acted like that. we often feel americans are acting one way but really feel a sometimes completely different way at the same time. some people think that's "superficial" behavior, while some americans seem to think this is just "being nice". cultural differences are a funny thing ;). one should be very careful to judge the behavior of a little girl (she's 16!) from another culture who just faced one of the biggest disapointments in her short life because of her own not good enough performance by one own's cultural standards and expectationes.

like iwannacoach said…….for the russian girls it is sooo much more than gymnastics…just the face that Putin was there says it all ! We are talking about Russia ! She probably LOST a lot more than the gold medal ! In Russia it is not just the sport it is about LIFE ! Think about it . You cannot compare sports in the US or Germany where I come from with Russia. I feel REALLY sorry for her !

I agree with you mado4 and all the other posters that validate being upset for getting a silver is understandable. A well known Romanian choreographer we fly to our gym to choreograph our routines indicated that the he was told that the Russian government assured Russian gymnast who gets a gold would be set for life. Seem like a reliable source but it is still hearsay.

It is hard to comprehend the pressure and the mindset required to be an Olympian, moreso an Olympic champion. They clearly are of a different caliber of athletes. At the moment they find out they missed the gold, I can just imagine the many emotions,and thoughts that go through their mind, particularly if they are slated to get gold. They are probably not thinking of themselves but the many people they feel they've let down, their country, coaches, parents. It is a tough position. They need time to digest and figure out what happened. They are only 16 years old. I will commend Aly Raisman though. She impressed me when the Karolyis asked her coach to appeal her score in beam. During the process, she had the mature mindset to go over to Ponor and congratulate her. I think Aly acted very graciously the entire Olympics. But she was also never slated to win any gold or do the all around. So maybe it was easier for her or was extremely happy to get any medal. I also read the study momof1 mentions above. It does make sense. Note, Aly Raisman looked happier getting her bronze than her gold. I wonder if she would have been visibly upset if she missed gold on floor.

A U.S. Olympic swimming team qualifier once said, placing second to her means she was the first loser. Interesting perspective.

Anyone notice that in UB finals, NBC replayed Mustafinas reaction (her sly smirk) to Douglas' mistake on bars at least twice, going so far as to comment on her reaction being unusual, that she was a poor sportsman to be happy at her competitors mistake? (since Gabi was last, this mistake meant Mustafina was assured gold)

Then when the EXACT same circumstances happened in floor finals - they cut to Aly jumping into the arms of her coach while Izbasa's face was stil in the carpet- the commentators say how thrilled they are for Aly.

I personally don't have a problem with how either girl reacted, wouldn't want a camera on me on the most pressure packed moment of my life. But I do have a problem with how NBC chose to frame the girls reactions to fit their narrative.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back