This coach is frustrating us...what to do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First and foremost: Sorry if this post is all over the place, my ranting tends to be very unorganized.
I recently started assisting coaching the very small team at the gym I used to compete at. The girls practice three days a week. The head coach, only coaches on Fridays because he has to fill in for the boys gymnastics coach until we find a new one. The other coach (that this post will be about) coaches Tuesdays and Thursdays. I come all 3 days.
I started coaching about 2 months after this new coach started coaching. I am quite a bit younger than she is, so she treats me like a child. She is the main coach, but she doesn't listen to any of my suggestions. She rolls her eyes whenever I make corrections for the girls, or try to help them out.
I came in, on a Saturday, to teach the girls the routines. I worked, for no pay, because we didn't even start routines yet, and we only have a month and a half, until competition. All of the girls have never competed before, so it was completely new.
But now, although she knows they know the routines, she refuses to work on them. She tried to upgrade skills, when they don't even have all the skills required to compete. She doesn't listen to me, when I say we need to work on routines etc.
So today, I was working with the head coach and the girls. Me and the head coach realized Fridays are always way more productive, because the said coach isn't there. I hadn't told him anything about the coach ignoring me. so I did today.He looked at me shocked. He said he has talked to her about things, and she doesn't listen, so he may have to let her go.

I was just wondering what do you guys think...I don't really have specific answers, just general opinions and experience with things like this. Thank you to all, and Happy Holidays!

Wonderful that your HC listened to you. Sounds like you handeled the situation with maturity. Good Job! Now just wait and see. Who know? Maybe you will get a promotion soon.

It sounds like you did everything you could in a very respectful manner, and it seems your concerns were validated by the HC which is always a good feeling. Just continue doing what you know you need to do and offering corrections to the kids when you get a chance, I'm sure you have a lot to offer. I think sometimes it can be hard as a new coach to break in and prove yourself to someone who doesn't know you, especially someone who is unwilling to see past the fact that you are young. I guess some coaches who already have questions about their value to the team or a very tight grip on "their" group are the ones who really struggle with this.
I've been through similar experiences and it's not fun, so I'll be sending you lots of good thoughts for a productive outcome!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back