This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

great job on the kip. watch how quickly skills come now.
i had a good tumbling meet last weekend. i did all of my passes, so i was very surprised!

Thanks guys!! I love the support here. It took about 6 tries last night but once I got my kip back I got it every time. This time with my grips on. Definitely worth the 4 rips I got last night. I can't wait until Monday to work on perfecting it.

I had a great practice this week, I am coming back from a sprained ankle and was able to start tumbling and vaulting on Monday. Friday we have open gym and my sister and I did full routines on all 4 events in front of the kids as an "exhibition" to practice for our meet in a few weeks and we both hit 4 for 4!!! I was really excited and now I'm ready to clean up a few form breaks before my first meet.

Started working squat one again this week. Didn't stand any if them up but I did actually get the bottoms of my feet on the bar fully so that was good. Anyone have suggestions as to how not bang the balls of my feet into the bar everytime I try to do it?

Started working squat one again this week. Didn't stand any if them up but I did actually get the bottoms of my feet on the bar fully so that was good. Anyone have suggestions as to how not bang the balls of my feet into the bar everytime I try to do it?

You need to bend your knees more by using your abs to pull them up, and place the feet on top of the bar once the knees are up. You were kinda kicking the bar w/ your feet :) But for being new at it you were doing well.

What helped me get me squat on back was to make sure I was letting go of the bar right away. If I tried to hang on too long I would end up falling backwards. As far as not banging your feet, you need to make sure that you get your hips up in the air not just squatting your feet in.

Went to the gym last week. Finally managed to get a glide swing parallel along the floor! Not enough core strength or technique (not sure which) to get myself up into a kip yet so another student and my coach folded my legs at the end of my swing and up into a kip. WONDROUS feeling!! Hahaha! My coach said, "Wondrous feeling eh? Unfortunately, you didn't do anything. Next time, you'll have to." HAH. Got my first rip from the glide swings I did as well. Still can't get my pullovers. I think I may try to tuck up instead of kicking up. I seem to have a fear of going backwards eg. pullovers, back hip circles. I was casting and my coach was going to push me into a back hip circle but she said I stopped myself right when my body was approaching the bar! LOL.

I've tried the squat one before. I was quite iffy about putting my feet onto the low bar. Again, how do I get over it?

I am going to try to work bridges next week (shoulder seems to be the problem although coach says my shoulders seem flexible enough oh well). My legs are already alot more flexible. I can now reach the soles of my feet with no problem! I could barely reach my ankles when I started! :D

Andro, it took me over a year to get my pullover, I still cheat with it, and use a spring board to do it the "proper" way. It's not a super easy thing to do as they all say, it takes not only a lot of strenth, but it takes the timing as well. No worries though, sounds like you are making progress! Have fun!!!

Oh really? Lol, I'm heaving a huge sigh of relief then. One of my strengths is my strength (coach says I've got quite alot because I swam as a kid) but I flaw in flexibility (still alot better already lol) haha. And I'm quite tiny which helps I suppose.

I was slightly anxious about the pullover because I keep seeing my other classmates being able to do it but I just keep not being able to get it. On the other hand, I was VERY happy when I managed to jump and swing along the floor just like that after a slight drill and constant visualising! :D :D I have a feeling she'll be working me on my kip next and I'll need alot of core muscles for that haha!

had another fun t & t meet at midwest in indiana. had to scratch on tumbling because i sprained my wrist 2 weeks ago. but i was very proud of myself for doing double mini because i didn't know where to start running from, and i actually hurdled with the wrong foot the entire time.
i hope my wrist is better by the 28th because we have a home t & t meet.
i'm getting very anxious because i haven't done bar in 2 weeks. it feels like forever. i actually hurt the wrist on a wolf jump on beam...i know...wolf jumps require no hands! but i was off balance and to the side of the beam and put my hand down on the beam so i didn't rotate to my face. what can i say, i like my teeth! so i bent back all my fingers and then my wrist. i'm working with my chiropractor, who is also a kinesiologist, and amazing. i totally recommend finding someone who works with the graston technique to break down old scar tissue. it is making such a difference in my wrist, elbow, shoulder. so far, we've only had time to work on the right side.

Practice went well last week, floor is getting easier the more routines I do the better my endurance :) Two more practices this week then heading to Florida for my first meet in 9 years.

I started working on reattaining backhandsprings on beam tonight.

I did a bunch on low beam after doing 25 on a line. Then i considered the medium beam, and decided "yeah not today".

It was so much easier when I believed that a line and a beam are the same!

Sounds like everyone is doing well! Good luck JDCrook for your meet! (I'd love to see videos, if you feel like putting some up :)

I went back to the gym tonight for the first time in 2 weeks -aagh, I'm going to be so sore tomorrow! Also, for some reason I managed to freak myself out about my BHC.. I can do it fine when the coach is just next to me (not even touching!), but as soon as he goes away I pull out at the last minute. Oh well, it will come back I guess.

No bar work yesterday because I forgot to bring my grips and also because my coach wanted to rest my wrists as we had just been trying out to do bridges. We think it's a combination of technique and arm strength. She suspects it's more technique than strength though. Anyone have any tips for it?

On another hand, I managed to do a handstand forward roll on my own! The last one I did, my coach was not holding me at all! :) Afterward, she had me kick up into a handstand against a wall and proceeded to poke various parts of my body to make sure I was tight lol! :) YAY!!!! I can finally get into a handstand! Then again, she did tell me that in terms of muscle definition and strength, beginners gain it quite fast with regular training. ;)

She taught me a 2 kick half turn on the beam but somehow I can't do it. I wonder if I need to chalk the beam?

During cool down yesterday, I was told that I had very flexible shoulders lol. When she had me lie prone on the floor and put my hands behind my neck so that she can push down on my shoulders for a stretch, she said she was not pushing alot because I was already quite close to the ground. Then she had me out in the "superman" position (both arms out) and then held them up to see how far my arms, shoulders and back would bend, quite far apparently. I had never done that stretch before...but I felt it in my stomach and hip flexors lol! :) And apparently, I'm not as inflexible as I thought in various areas lol. :D Hope next week's session goes well! And my rip's healed! It's just new skin underneath now...pink skin! :)

jd - have fun at your meet. my first meet back, i realized that beam felt weird (and taller) because i didn't have the other beams next to it, like in practice. so beam at the next meet felt a lot better when i could put things into perspective.

I discovered on mondaythat I can do a maltese on rings all of a sudden. And a straight-straight.

Dunno where that came from, but I'll take it.

I discovered on mondaythat I can do a maltese on rings all of a sudden. And a straight-straight.

Dunno where that came from, but I'll take it.

What is a straight straight?
I had a fabulous practice last night. Think I am on the right track to my goal of getting on team! Discovered I can do my pullover on a block, so I don't reqiure the spring from the spring board to do a proper pullover which was a super ego booster for me because that means I am that much closer to being able to do pullover with no assistance! Gotta kept working on the back hip circles so it is smooth, but a least I think I got over the fear I devdloped on. And I need to work on my undershoots as well, I am having problems reaching the candle stick position

great limited practice last night. i learned how to kick out of my back tuck front tuck on double mini and i did it by myself. i always had my coach or teammate stand near the double mini. my regular coach isn't there on thursdays, so he'll be really surprised on sunday!
did leaps, jumps, and full turns on beam. one of the girls told me that my full turns looked really pretty.
wrist is feeling healed, but there is a tendon under my pinkie finger that hurts a lot. i still can't put any pressure on that hand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back