WAG Three week vacation opportunity: WWYD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What an awesome opportunity! The fact that she's missing so much gym would have crossed my mind too-you're not crazy-but like the others have said, go for it! I'm a risk vs benefit girl, and this one sounds like a bike trip to me! Have fun!

Go! From a coaches side too, I say go! She has years of gymnastics left and this will not affect her Olympic chances (or her qualification to Nationals, or a college scholarship). What it will give her is an adventure, family time, and exposure to another country.

I'd go! (and I would stress about keeping my daughter out of gym for three weeks so you're definitely not alone!)
You should go AND not stress about gym!
The bike riding will be amazing for her and the influence on her whole being by having such an experience is totally worth it.

The trip. Dd took a 3 week cross country trip after 1st L9 season, which she didn't compete most of, due to a broken foot. It slowed her down a bit. It might have been part of the reason for her not having a great first year at L10 the next season. But none of us would trade that trip for anything. Gym is just one part of life, unless your dd is Olympic bound, IMHO the chalk bowl can wait.

We've faced that dilemna every year since level 6 (she's now level 9) and each year, we chose the vacation... (we did asia twice, europe once, jamaica once - each trip was about 2-3 weeks). we've seen too many gymnasts' families commit everything to the sport, avoiding vacations, etc. only to have gymnastics abruptly end due to injuries - all those years sacrificing family vacations.

The vacations have helped her recover from various overuse type injuries but it's getting harder now as we prepare for level 10... The coaches frown on these long extended breaks from gym.

for the level 10 families- are you still taking these extended vacations?

AS the mom of a level 6, a coach of levels 6 and up, and someone who spent 2 weeks in Italy last summer, my advice is go! And don't worry about it at all. Gymnastics will be there when you get back.

I think that we would probably avoid more than a week off at this stage, after the 2nd full year of Level 10, because colleges she is interested in attending will be expecting to see improvements over the summer. When we took our last trip, prior to first L10 season, we weren't having any of those conversations yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back