WAG Times of Practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mo, Tue, Thu 4-8. Then one more practice on Saturday. L4-5. Luckily we live close enough, less than 20 minutes away and no traffic (back roads), so I hope to have them in bed by 9pm. They are in 3rd and 5th grade, school 8:15-3, we will have to pick them up after school and I still need to figure out when they will do their homework.

5-9 seems like the norm in most gyms for the level 5+ here. The little ones end at 8:30. I am just glad dd trains in the day now.

If YDD would have done L3 (she switched to T&T) she would have gone T,Th 430 to 830 and Fri 330-730. I thought 830 was kind of late for a barely 8 year old
My ODD is XCel Silver and goes T,W 4-8 and F 330-730. She is out of school at 3 so that gives us a little time for homework.

Our optional girls end between 7:30 pm and 8:00 pm depending on level. I do know some gyms that end as late as 8:45, though. I think our compulsories end between 7:15 pm and 7:30 pm.

My level B-C girls (9-10 year olds) practice 4.30pm - 7.00pm two school nights a week and 11am - 1pm on Sundays.

My older girls who are in levels D-E (12-14 yeas old) have late practices. They start when the younger ones finish so they have more space in the gym. Their times are 6 pm - 9 pm on Monday, 6.30 pm - 9 pm on Tuesday and Wednesday and 1 pm - 3.30 pm on Sundays.

Works well for us. The parents seem to be happy. Even if I think the older girls have too late ending time they seem to prefer those. Last year they had one 4.30 start time and they were almost always late because of their parents who worked till 4 pm. The younger kids parents seem to have shorter work days so they can handle early start times better. And the younger girls get out of shool around 2am at the latest so they have a good two hours at home before gym.

At my girls new gym if you are on compulsory team it's 5:30-8:30 Tuesdays and Thursdays no matter what level or age you are, and optionals is 4:30-8:30 Mondays, Wednesday,Fridays. Every one on team goes 12:00-4:00 on Saturdays. I don't have a problem with it ending late because my youngest dd's school doesn't start until 9:15 so she can sleep in a little in the morning, and my oldest dd who's 16, I leave it up to her to go to bed at a reasonable time.

My dd is a level 2 and right now she only goes T,Th,F from 4-6. In December she'll move to 4-7 on those days.

At our gym it looks like this:

Level 2 T, Th,F 4-6 (4-7 after December)
Level 3 T,Th 4-8, Sat 8-12
Level 4 MWF 4-8
Level 5&6 T, Th 3:30-8:30, Sat 8-1

I'm not sure after that, except it appears the level 10's are either homeschooled or have an alternative arrangement with their high school because I know they are there from 11:30am most days of the week.

My dd doesn't get out of school until 3:45 and we are over 15 minutes away, so we are always about 10 minutes late. If practice started before 4:00 we would probably not have been able to be on the team.

Our level 4s will go 4-8 three times a week. The 5-6 group will be the same with an added Saturday morning practice. No one typically goes beyond 8:00.

Our 2s end at 5:30 or 6:30, 3s end at 8, our 4s and 5s end at 8:30, and Optionals end at 9. Levels 3 and up have Saturday practice as well.

Dd (6 yo level 2) will practice until 8 PM, which is really too late for her, considering that practice always runs 10-15 min late and we live 20-25 min away from the gym, and that her usual bedtime is 7:15 PM because she's naturally an early riser and despite my attempts to change that this summer, it hasn't worked.

Level 3 also practices until 8 PM. Levels 4-5 (older girls but different coaches) practice in the right after school time spot so they're done by 6:30. It seems to make more sense to have level 2 and 3 practice at those times. I'm seriously thinking about a gym change because of the practice times but haven't gotten up the courage to look at other gyms.

My youngest dd goes :

Normal Practice Days/Times:
T - 6pm - 8:30pm
Th - 6pm - 8:30pm

Summer Holidays Days/Times:
T - 10am - 3pm
Th - 10:30am - 3pm

Oldest dd:

Normal Days/Times:
Th - 6pm - 8pm
Sat - 2:30pm - 4pm

Summer Holidays Days/Times:
M - 1pm - 3pm
Th - 12:15pm - 2:15pm
Sat - 2:30pm - 4pm

DD last year had weekday practice from 5:15 to 9:15 on M/W/F and got out at 9 on Tuesday nights. Her group had the Sat. afternoon slot. I expect it will be the same this year. Stinks for her because she gets on the bus slightly before 7 AM. Once she's a L9, she will get the coveted 3-7 times.

DS had MW 5 to 8:30 and Saturday morning into early afternoon, but always lobbied hard to stay until 9 with the L6s. This year he will go at least 3 weekdays 5-9, four if he can convince his mother and his coach that this is remotely sensible. (Mom will be an uphill climb on that one, I guarantee you.) Eventually -- I cringe to report -- he will be in the gym 5-9 every weekday most weeks and 11-3 on Saturdays. I dearly hope his big brother has his drivers' license before we enter that particular circle of hell.

L4 on up practice until 9 4 school days a week, plus Saturday. It was a rough transition for Pea to go until 9, but her school doesn't start until 8:50, so she sleeps until 8. Middle school will be a whole separate issue with a 7:30 start time, but I'm a year away from dealing with that. I do also prefer the later practice, she gets home does all her homework, changes, relaxes, eats and out the door. When she gets home its shower and straight to bed.

Compulsories go to 8pm and optionals go to 9pm at our gym. We also have staggered start times at the various school districts that feed our club which makes start times before 4pm impossible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back