Off Topic 'tis the season...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
...for running! My competitive club gymnastics season for the year ends next week, and highschool spring track starts! Today a friend and me went running for the first time in about a year, and went 5 miles. Phew, that was tiring.

I had my last club gymnastics meet this past weekend, it was a sectional meet, and I didn't qualify for states. I just got over a really bad tendon strain in my ankle, so I wasn't really expecting to, just hoping :rolleyes:. So I'm going to have track practice 4 days a week for an hour. I pole vault, and it's a surprisingly fun sport, especially for gymnasts, we love flying through the air!

Anyways, my mom wants me to take off the spring from gymnastics. (Well, only going on saturdays, 5 hours.) And thinking about it, it seems appealing, I would actually have TIME after school! But I was also concerned, how much strength, skills, etc. would I lose, with only one practice and then 4 hours of track a week?

I want to do this, yet on the other hand, I'm afraid of what will happen to my gymnastics. I'm not planning on going to level 10 next year, or... ever in my gymnastics career. I'm honestly happy staying right where I am, but not losing anything. Would I lose more than I could get back in the summer?

Thanks! :)

My daughter will be entering jr high next year. She wants to run track as well. Her gym coaches are all for it becaue it will make her a better runner. We will work around her track practices. :)

If you are really content with where you are in gymnastics I think that sounds like a fine plan. Go ahead and run track, you'll most likely keep in shape by doing that and if you still practicing 1 day a week to keep up with your skills.
It might mean you have to work slightly harder when you start training more often again but for now I'd go ahead and try something new!!
You can always practice and extra day here and there.

I think that sounds like an awesome plan. Track will keep you in good shape (and help endorance for floor routines!) and you can still maintain your skills that one day a week you go to gymnastics. I think it's great that you are doing a school sport and will have time after school for a high school social life:) I cut back on hours for my sophomore year and it was the greatest decision ever, it makes me work harder when I'm at the gym and I have time for friends and such :) I think you'll be super happy and shouldn't lose anything if your still going once a week!

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to do it. I have a nagging fear that the skills I just got that I was afraid of (front aerial on beam, I swear it will be the death of me someday). But I'll probably be able to get it back over the summer, if that's the case. (well, hopefully)

I think it's great that you are doing a school sport and will have time after school for a high school social life:)

It will definitely be interesting to see what I do with time! I did highschool gymnastics this year and last year, and I absolutely adored it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back