WAG To do tops training or not

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD who just turned 9 staring level 4 and just asked to join tops training class. She really started gymnastics comp late but her skills took off the last 18 months. Ie went from barely doing a pullover to a kip. Barely a cartwheel to back tucks triple bhs and ariels and layouts. Her beam, horrible. She is having issues with the cartwheel but can do a back walkover. When auditioning for cheer tumble the college coach said pound for pound she is stronger than him. She is usually middle of the pack at meets. Is it worth her spending time doing this class? She will have to test as a 10 year old and she wont be anywhere near a lvl 8 by next year. She has the strength, the flexibility but it does take her some time to perfect new skills as her gym hours are low. We have seen significant progress this summer with increased gym time. I dont want to get her hopes up when I know there are 1000 more talented girls than she is but she loves a challenge and I dont want to rob her of that either. Any input is appreciated.

If she is asking, I would say there is no harm in trying it. Have you spoke to the coaches? TOPS in my opinion should be an exclusive group that is highly talented. It takes alot of time and effort to excel in TOPS.

My thought process is to not limit my kids' opportunities but it's up to them to take advantage of the opportunity.

If it's something she wants to do, the training won't hurt her. Lots of girls don't go past state testing get in TOPs but that doesn't mean it's not worth it. It can be a great addition to regular training if it's something the gymnast wants to do. A lot of girls don't enjoy it, so that would be my only concern.

@toshy40 I was asked by coach yesterday. We are not a top gym.

When you say, not a "top" gym do you mean "TOPS" or a gym that is historically in the middle of the pack at meets? The reason I ask is because our gymnast was at a gym that did not have a TOPS program and wanted to start one with our gymnast along with a few others. We ended up moving to another gym that had an established TOPS program. We did not want our gymnast to be the guinea pig for the program.

That being said, to echo what Emily said, the training you get from the TOPS program will certainly help your gymnast in JO

If she wants to do it I would certainly let her give it a try. Never mind the testing and all of that, the extra strength and flexibility training alone should help improve her gymnastics, and she's a great age to do that kind of training. If she is able to qualify for testing, great, if not, it was still time well spent! Of course if she tries it and hates it you might have to reconsider lol.

If she was asked to join TOPs training group & she's interested in doing it, by all means, I'd do it. It will help her strength and flexibility for future gymnastics. However, be prepared that she may not get the skills she needs prior to testing. Also, many of the girls don't enjoy it. Mine loved it! But as another poster said, if this gym has never actually had any kids test TOPs, I would wonder about the motivation. At our previous gym, my dd was asked 3 years in a row to be on their TOPs team and each time they would decide to stop right before testing. We finally decided to leave that gym after the 3rd time of her being disappointed. So, find out all the information you can't about their TOPs program before you invest the extra money in it. But if you think of it as extra conditioning that will benefit her whether she tests or not, then maybe it's worth it depending on the money amount?

I would let her do the TOPS training because that is beneficial but I'm not sure I'd shell out any money for testing as a Level 4 10 yo , whose hours are low...she will be competing against kids who have been doing TOPS all along and are probably at least Level 8 or 9 in the JO program so they would be more likely tohave the skills required for the testing. TOPS testing groups are always compared within that same year so even if "someone with her same skills passed last year" , it doesn't mean she would...

Bottom line, it's your money, do as you wish but I'd only sign on for the training at this point as moving up the levels , you will have plenty of opportunities to part with your paycheck;)

I think it's a good idea to expose dd to the training especially since she is beginning to blossom, is asking for more and was recently invited. If you decide to sign dd up for tops training, keep in mind she doesn't have to test. We don't test tops but dd definitely gets the training incorporated into her practices.

Keep us posted on dd progress and I hope dd enjoys the training.

My youngest DD was in the same spot. Asked at 9 to start training Tops (in the winter). She has just finished Level 4. She is testing as a 10 year old. While I don't think it will lead to any National testing, the training has been immensely helpful, and I've already seen it in competition. She competed Platinum at the end of our season. She now has a straight body cast handstand, does a beautiful clearhips on the bars, has handspring on beam, higher tighter tumbling on floor, and went from middle of the pack at Level 4 to top 3 on Platinum. Her form is much tighter, and she is much stronger. She has 95% of the skills for testing at this point. The testing may be a waste of money in terms of it not leading anywhere, but she has enjoyed the experience of traveling to different gyms, and has made a tight bond with the other Tops girls. She is scoring out of Level 5 at the end of summer and will be either Level 6 or 7 next season.
FYI our gym usually has National Qualifiers, no A or B team yet. But the program is getting stronger every year. I think the training is great for form and strength. I hope this info helps!

Completely agree with Bookworm. Add the training if she wants it, it can only help (especially if she's on the low end of hours!). Getting stronger and more flexible never hurt any gymnast, lol!
The State testing is inexpensive and can be a valuable experience as well as insight into what needs to be worked on. Without being of a certain skill set/JO level she likely wouldn't make it to expensive National testing anyways.

I would definitely say yes to the training. I think the strength and conditioning is beneficial for any gymnast.
I echo the others in that she will most likely not be ready for testing, but that's okay. We have lots of girls who train TOPs that do not test.

Agree with bookworm. Our gym has a small group of 6 yr olds who are training tops, but they decided not to have older girls (and by older, I mean 8&9 yr olds) test TOPS, though they do the conditioning. It seems like the gyms that have success with tops start them very young.

I wish we had TOPS. No one in my area (less than 90 minute drive) does. Even if she never tests, conditioning is so important. If she wants to do it and the cost is something you're comfortable with, go for it! :)

The training is great. My daughter changed gyms a year ago to a gym that trains everyone, all ages, for the TOPS skills. They test them in-house twice a year. I've seen a dramatic improvement in my daughter's strength and flexibilty in this year. I can only see that training TOPS would be a benefit for your daughter regardless of if she tested or not.

Our gym does TOP skills and training. They just don't do the testing. The benefits regarding strength and conditioning are great. For us that is all that really matters.

I definitely there's value in the program outside of the camp itself. I think TOPS is alot of core conditioning which helps their strength. There's some uptraining when they learn skills they haven't otherwise learned yet, so it's fun. Routines that are not their routines. But if you think the value is in only getting to camp, then it's ultimately, it's for 110 girls, so the odd's really aren't in anyone's favor. But I think any girl would be proud to be able to pull up the rope piked in 8 seconds for example. I think we were told to be selected for national testing it was 300 out of 4000 girls or more (but my memory could be failing me), so I think I told my daughter that.

I think joining the group could be a great way for her to accelerate her progression in gymnastics if she might benefit from that. I think it is fine to do without having expectations of "making it" in the testing. As long as her expectations and goals are sensible and she enjoys the training.

Certainly more positives than there are negatives in doing TOPs. But realize that gymnasts testing as a 10 year old are doing Level 9 skills. I would certainly do the program but not put too much weight on making the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back