Coaches To Spot or Not- meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello everyone! I'm looking for advice for several of my compulsory girls. I coach levels 2-6 at our gym, which happens to be a YMCA. I moved about 4 months ago for my husband's military orders, and I came from a private gym. I have been coaching these girls for the last four months, and about a month ago, our head coach made the decision after some parents complained to move several girls up who are not ready for the next level. It's been tough for some of then to get their skills- they only practice 6 hours a week :)/) We had a non-sanctioned meet and they did fine, minus a few of them on bars. We have a big USAG meet coming up this weekend, but only five of my level four's are attending. Of the five, one does not have her front hip circle on bars. Would you spot her and take the spotting deduction, or would you go ahead and let her try it and fall? Thanks in advance!

I would spot the skill. I've walked out on the floor for a level 5 gymnast who was unsure of his BHS during a competition. With that said though, the way I understand the Men's JO is if you spot, they also get the form deductions as well. If I'm wrong someone correct me though! So if it isn't tight, the way I understand the rule is it might turn into a fall deduction regardless.

let them do it and take the deductions if they miss. not much harm can come to them on a front hip. you never know, they might make it.:)

It depends on the skill.

With a front hip circle, I'd let her try it. Not much risk of injury with that skill, and as dunno said, you never know, she might just make it.

That's what I'm leaning toward. She's very close and has beautiful form. I've tossed around the idea of letting her arch to make it around, but I really would rather her just learn the skill correctly, even if it takes more time. I'm not worried about her getting injured, just the deductions. She stays nice and tight with straight arms and one of these days it will click. Since the head coach is the one coaching at this meet and doesn't even know the girl very well, I think I'm going to just have her go for it and take the fall deduction if she doesn't make it.

Front hip, let her try but be ready to catch if she peels off. Most kids that are close don't do this but I've seen it happen a few times. I've had quite a few do their first front hip at a meet.

I would let her go for it, if she is close the adrenaline of the meet may be the thing that pushes her over the edge and she gets it. Save spotting for the riskier skills.

I wouldn't spot a Front Hip. If it's bad enough they might peel, they'd be scratching bars.I might spot certain skills on floor. Kind of depends on the kid.

Just to follow-up: Today was the meet and I decided against spotting her. She did not make the front hip circle, but at least she fell with straight arms and squeezed legs. We're hoping this is the week she gets it. Unfortunately she was the second gymnast to go on bars for the entire meet and there was some blatant favoring of the home team. Oh well! Thank you for all of your comments!

Just to follow up, we have another meet this Sunday, but she officially got it tonight at our open workout (after hours of drills!). Whew, one skill down, a million more to go.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back