Toe up! (brag)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnastbeth

Moderator/Gymnast
I've been catching toe-ups for awhile, but last night, I finally figured out how to tap and get power out of it! I've been doing a muscle up kip, which made it really hard to connect anything to it. I'm so excited!!! I thought I would never get it. :D

good for you! the hardest part of that skill is the 'turn-over' or shushunova. sounds like you understand it. carry on!:)

My coach made me put a cheese between the low bar and high bar, and i would do a toe up and i would not be aloud to catch, so i can get as much height and rotation as possible without catching, so then when I do go to catch, i can focus on that and I wont get hurt.

Excellent!

Any particular drills or tricks you found useful? I have two girls trying to perfect that skill.

Excellent!

Any particular drills or tricks you found useful? I have two girls trying to perfect that skill.

Thanks! Repetition definitely helped for it to "click", but as far as drills, there were one or two good ones. I'll do my best to explain, hopefully it makes sense... :p

My coach stacked up mats past the highbar, and put a bungee between the two bars. I would do a toe up shooting my feet over the bungee, trying to keep my feet near it when I caught the bar. Then, I would use the momentum from keeping my feet behind to land on my back on the mats. Landing on my back as opposed to just hanging on the bar definitely helped me get power out of it.

Not sure how well I explained that... I can clarify if it doesn't make sense :).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back