Toe Up in Level 8?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
Are you aloud to do a toe up/chinese situp, or whatever you call it, in level 8? My friend at gym is planning on competeing it, but wasn't sure whether it is aloud or not. My coach thinks it is, but one of the parents at my gym is sure that it isn't. Listening to the coach is the more logical thing to do, but she wanted me to ask you guys to make sure!

She does a cast HS, and then steps both feet onto the low bar, and swings and releases to catch the high bar. I guess it can be called a toe shoot as well. So it isn't allowed?

Based on my understanding as well, a toe shoot, is a C and not allowed in L8.

Last edited:
Are you aloud to do a toe up/chinese situp, or whatever you call it, in level 8? My friend at gym is planning on competeing it, but wasn't sure whether it is aloud or not. My coach thinks it is, but one of the parents at my gym is sure that it isn't. Listening to the coach is the more logical thing to do, but she wanted me to ask you guys to make sure!

i will speak ALOUD to let you know that skill is not ALLOWED.:)

She does a cast HS, and then steps both feet onto the low bar, and swings and releases to catch the high bar. I guess it can be called a toe shoot as well. So it isn't allowed?

I may be mistaken but this sounds like a sole circle (I believe it is called) and we have L7's do it. Try to youtube toe shoot and sole circle to check what skill you are really referring to.
I looked them up and the difference seems to be how the release from the low bar to the high bar is carried out.

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but this sounds like a sole circle (I believe it is called) and we have L7's do it. Try to youtube toe shoot and sole circle to check what skill you are really referring to.
I looked them up and the difference seems to be how the release from the low bar to the high bar is carried out.

A sole circle is just a squat on alternative, and not consider a release. It is allowed in L6, 7, 8.

A toe shoot or whatever you want to call it, that releases with shoulder action (there's no "jumping") is a C release and not allowed in L8 for this competitive season. It sounds like the original poster is describing this.

I'll jump in and just add that if this skill was performed in a L8 routine it would result in a .5 deduction. Funny you ask this now as I have received 3 different emails about this skill in the past 2 days!

I will also add that when this skill is performed and caught it will always receive C value. In years past you didn't have to give it a C if it was performed "poorly". However, it got a little complicated because what one judge saw as "poorly" might not be what another saw. So, the rule is now we give the C and then just take execution deductions.

Yes, a toe shoot is what I am talking about. Thank you everyone! Now I just have to go tell my gym friend tomorrow so she can start working on a new routine for her meet Feb. 6th! I guess she could put in a pirouette on the low bar or something.

Yes, a toe shoot is what I am talking about. Thank you everyone! Now I just have to go tell my gym friend tomorrow so she can start working on a new routine for her meet Feb. 6th! I guess she could put in a pirouette on the low bar or something.

I'm not sure what requirement your friend was thinking the toe shoot would cover. Its seen alot at L9 to meet one of the release requirements, but L8 doesn't require a release. Pirouettes and bails(not to handstand) are the most common skills to meet the SR at L8.

I'm not sure what requirement your friend was thinking the toe shoot would cover. Its seen alot at L9 to meet one of the release requirements, but L8 doesn't require a release. Pirouettes and bails(not to handstand) are the most common skills to meet the SR at L8.

Previously a routine with a toe shoot to high would have met this SR. It is a C release. It just a low to high release rather than the other way around. A shootover (bail) is also a release.

In L9 two bar changes are necessary so the toe shoot is usually used for bonus, or to avoid missing one SR rather than two, but meeting all the SRs generally requires a high to low transition, basically. A routine that started on low bar and went to high bar with a toe shoot would be missing a bar change. Previously in L8 that would have met the turn/release and bar change requirements though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back