Parents Toenails

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Not sure where to put this question. It's not for just parents, so gymnasts/coaches feel free to reply.

I took DD to her yearly ped appointment and had the dr. look at her toenails. I thought maybe she had a fungus. She's always had crazy-thick nails (toe and finger) that grow like gangbusters. She even has little scars on her face from when she was a baby and managed to scratch her face. (She's a twin so you'll have to forgive me if nail clipping and keeping those little glove things on her hands weren't always high on my to-do list... and her twin sister's nails just sort of sloughed off on their own.) Anyway, recently her toenails have been just looking especially nasty. Dr. said she didn't think it was a fungus but was just repeated trauma from gymnastics. I do know she's smacked feet on fly-aways a few times. I'm not sure what else she would do that would cause toe trauma?

Does anyone else have this issue? I didn't ask the dr. if it was something that would go away when she's done with gym. Does anyone know the answer? Right now she eschews the idea of anything as "girly" as a pedicure or open-toed shoes (other than flip-flops) but that may not always be the case, and one day she may care about her gnarly nails!

Thanks!

hubbie ended up with damaged and fungus nails from wearing steel tyoe capped boots - doc said the repeated impacte, although small are what did it. He is treating the nails now but filing them down and dabbing on tea tree oil.

Take her for a pedicure under the premise of prevention rather than being girly. At the very least you may get a "diagnosis" from the pedicurist and some advice on how to care for it.

Oh worst case is she gets them filed down for pedicures. Or gels or whatever.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I'm thinking I'd make an appt with a podiatrist. While pcp's are good with things they see all the time, nail fungus is not one of these, especially for children. Also, if she has really thick nails on toes and fingers, there could be something else going on. There are some skin conditions that have nail symptoms.

My dd has this on her pinky toes. We keep it in check by putting Vicks Vapo Rub on the nails at night and wear socks to bed. This along with filing and gently clipping the thickness works. Npt sure why Vicks works but it does!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using ChalkBucket mobile app

lol. "gymnast foot". hahahahahaha all gymnasts feet look the same both men and women. and Vicks works cause of the camphor and eucalyptus oil. :)

lol. "gymnast foot". hahahahahaha all gymnasts feet look the same both men and women. and Vicks works cause of the camphor and eucalyptus oil. :)

So, a badge of honor, up there with rips? She can count herself a real gymnast because she has nasty feet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back