WAG Too old for JO?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jessleemom

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site. My 9 year old daughter started recreational gymnastics about 2 years ago. We've done one class a week and she has steadily moved up. She is now level 3/4 and is working toward joining her gym's Xcel team. Tryouts are in about a week and I have no doubt she will make the team.

She's strong, petite, flexible, coachable, has no fear and is very motivated but obviously hasn't had much formal training. Once she's on the Xcel team she will be training 6-9 hours a week and I have a feeling skills will come very quickly with the extra gym time.

Are girls ever able to move from Xcel to JO if they decide they'd prefer that track? Is 9 or 10 a completely unrealistic age to start JO? I'm trying to manage her expectations as she has some very lofty goals.

Not unrealistic at all, but it depends on the individual gym program. You should ask at tryouts if they allow gymnasts to move from their Xcel to JO program.

Like the PP said, it is totally gym specific. I know some gyms that have had girls come in having never been on a team and they are in 6th grade, they have a lot of promise, do a year of xcel, jump to JO and get bumped to optionals quickly. I have seen other gyms not even consider a girl for their team because she is tall at age 5. Figure out the philosophy of your gym and if it doesn't fit with your DD's goals then look for a gym that does.

As others have said, it depends on the gyms willingness to work with an ‘older’ gymnast but it is possible. My DD was even older than yours...she did a year of Xcel at 10 then moved to JO at 11. She’s now L9.

Our gym would have her compete XCel for a year and if she continues to progress quickly and seems interested, likely invite her to try JO. I know a girl who followed that path on a similar time frame to your daughter's, and she's just finished competing L8. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses! Our gym is pretty chill. They do produce college level athletes but not elites. We're in the same town as Chow's so that's where all the super talented people go. (We went there for an evaluation last fall and that was....interesting....)

It all really will depend on what the next year brings but it's good to know that some people are able to make that move.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back