Parents TOP 2015

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JoRae

Proud Parent
Hi all! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about TOPS result/cut off scores. Our coach got an e-mail from our state director stating that results for national testing should be posted to the USAG website this coming Monday. I'm not sure our daughter can wait any longer!

Congrats to all!
My daughter has qualified as an 8 yo...super excited. For those that have gone before, can you tell me the format of how the days work? Heard the test by region and skills and abilities are split up.
They will post a schedule soon. It will be divided into sessions by region and age. Each group will test 2 days, one for PA and one for skills. The days may not be consecutive though.

May I ask why you decided not to have her test? I thought that was the plan? (not prying, I hope--just curious!)
Totally not my idea. It was 'suggested' by the National Team Staff when she went to camp in May. I don't know specifics, just that focusing efforts on making a team through Oct would only hinder progress towards HOPES or something like that.....And then somewhere in there was something About TOPS being an identification program. Once a gymnast has been identified, there's really no point in continuing......I don't like it, but trusting the process! :)

Totally not my idea. It was 'suggested' by the National Team Staff when she went to camp in May. I don't know specifics, just that focusing efforts on making a team through Oct would only hinder progress towards HOPES or something like that.....And then somewhere in there was something About TOPS being an identification program. Once a gymnast has been identified, there's really no point in continuing......I don't like it, but trusting the process! :)

Maybe because the skill level for HOPES is so much higher that time spent on perfecting TOPS through to the December camp would not leave enough time to perfect HOPEs routines for January/ February. The step up to FIG is steep even with HOPEs modifications. Eg Bars for a 10 year old TOPS has casts and clear hip to 45 with swings no giants or dismount. HOPEs bars will be whole different ball game - giants, front giants, casts to handstand, close bar elements to handstand, releases, full pirouette, B dismount. Huge step up. And of course FIG scoring penalties are much stricter like a whole mark for a fall.

I can see that if you are already on the pathway for HOPES it would make sense to move on from TOPs as you would be far past the skills level required. Better to focus on the harder skills. That does make sense now I think about it. Hope it goes well! Will she compete level 9/10 at all or just concentrate on HOPEs?

Maybe because the skill level for HOPES is so much higher that time spent on perfecting TOPS through to the December camp would not leave enough time to perfect HOPEs routines for January/ February. The step up to FIG is steep even with HOPEs modifications. Eg Bars for a 10 year old TOPS has casts and clear hip to 45 with swings no giants or dismount. HOPEs bars will be whole different ball game - giants, front giants, casts to handstand, close bar elements to handstand, releases, full pirouette, B dismount. Huge step up. And of course FIG scoring penalties are much stricter like a whole mark for a fall.

I can see that if you are already on the pathway for HOPES it would make sense to move on from TOPs as you would be far past the skills level required. Better to focus on the harder skills. That does make sense now I think about it. Hope it goes well! Will she compete level 9/10 at all or just concentrate on HOPEs?
I don't know about L9/10....I really don't know about FIG. Those bars are really far apart for her. It will take a miracle for her to qualify. I think the plan is to leave out the release moves until she grows so she doesn't compromise her shapes. Vault surprisingly, is really coming along nicely!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back