WAG TOPS results in

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I heard to book the rooms before they sell out. :) where would you all stay? We booked Fairfield Inn in Conroe-anyone else?

My dd is 10. I was just reading on the usagym website the info from 2012, and it looks like they assign you days and that you sign up to stay in the "motel" there (or a cabin, I guess) Aren't all the hotels like an hour away?

My daugther qualified for national testing a few years ago, unless things have changed, you were responsible for making your own travel arrangements. Gymnasts and coaches had the opportunity to share rooms at the ranch for the days that they were testing but they had to pay for them. Parents were not allowed to stay at the ranch. Gymnasts and coaches are not required to stay there. My daughter did not stay there that time but has been back for several developmental camps since then. The rooms are spartan but nice and fit 4-5 per room. Coaches do not room with their gymnasts, they have separate quarters.

My daugther qualified for national testing a few years ago, unless things have changed, you were responsible for making your own travel arrangements. Gymnasts and coaches had the opportunity to share rooms at the ranch for the days that they were testing but they had to pay for them. Parents were not allowed to stay at the ranch. Gymnasts and coaches are not required to stay there. My daughter did not stay there that time but has been back for several developmental camps since then. The rooms are spartan but nice and fit 4-5 per room. Coaches do not room with their gymnasts, they have separate quarters.

The two years my daughter tested 2010 and 2011, parents were allowed to stay at the ranch for national testing. If they make the team, parents are not allowed during camp. We did not stay at the ranch for testing but we walked around and met some mothers whose girls went to Buckeye Gymnastics sitting outside their cabin. You pay your own way for testing. If your daughter makes A Team, USAG pays for the gymnast and coach to attend camp. If you make B, you are invited to the camp but you pay your own way entirely.

For the testing, if you stay at the ranch, food is included with the fees. We stayed at The Woodlands (40 mins to the ranch) the first time and in Conroe (probably the closest at 25 mins away). Once you enter the ranch, the gymnastics gym is about 15 mins from the entrance and you'll be driving on a dirt road.

B&M's mom I was wondering about the developmental camps. Did your daughter get invited to these developmental camps? How does that work? Are the families responsible for paying to attend these camps or does USAG fund them? Any other information you can provide about the camps? I know this would be the next step after TOPs, but I am not sure how it works.

The camps are invite only. Invitations are based on performance at testing and A or B camp. A camp is paid for by USAG and B camp is fully paid for by parents. Developmental camps after A/B camp are invite only and paid for by the parents. Coaches are notified of kids that are invited back.

The developmental camps that my daughter is attending are invite only. Her coach had to submit videos for evaluation. The National coaches then select the girls to attend the camps. Even after getting one invite, you aren't guaranteed a repeat invite. A lot is dependent on how well you do at camp. From what she's let slip, they do a lot of verification of skills that they've demonstrated. Very small group and paid for by USAG (thankfully). She's also mentioned that the food is good but not plentiful. She's enjoyed the experience though she comes home exhausted.

If you are new to TOPS here are a few observations:
1. Conroe/Woodlands for hotel.
2. Get into Houston as early as possible the day before and schedule something fun and relaxing to get DD into a good state of mind.
3. Make sure you understand directions to the Ranch especially the 2 mile dirt rd leading up to the gate. The Ranch being in the middle of nowhere gets parents worried that they are lost.
4. Get to testing at least an hour beforehand or early as possible if you are in the morning session. If its your first time you'll see all the olympic pictures and memorabilia on the walls inside the warm up gym. Its good to take some pics with DD and get them settled.
5. Be prepared to sit and wait for up to 4 hours waiting for testing to be done. You'll sit in a meeting hosted by Gary Warren and can walk around the Ranch. You'll probably see Bela driving his utility cart or Marta taking a walk around the grounds. Be polite and say hello but basically let them have their space.
6. Have a smile on your face when DD walks out and don't rush to ask them how they did. Give them some time to soak in what just happened. You'll know how they did based on their face walking out the door. You'll see a lot of girls with tears and some bewildered looks.
7. Talk to coach about how good/bad testing went and prepare DD for next day. Take some pics around Ranch with DD.

Leading up to the Ranch.....

1. Make sure coaches and DD are on same page with all required skills if its their first time. Been down there and saw girls crying because coach did not know all required skills necessary for testing and DD was left struggling to figure something out resulting in precious lost points. (IT HAPPENS)
2. Assure DD that falling or messing up a skill is not the end of the world. My DD fell and still qualified A camp with a very high score. According to her coach she composed herself quickly and finished strong.

TOPS A camp leads to bigger things....Do whatever you can to get
your DD there. Schedule privates for your DD if necessary to sharpen up on physical abilities testing and skills. If you're going to invest the amount of money to fly to Houston then why not spend a little extra to get your DD prepared.

Congrats for making it to National Testing!

If you are new to TOPS here are a few observations:
1. Conroe/Woodlands for hotel.
2. Get into Houston as early as possible the day before and schedule something fun and relaxing to get DD into a good state of mind.
3. Make sure you understand directions to the Ranch especially the 2 mile dirt rd leading up to the gate. The Ranch being in the middle of nowhere gets parents worried that they are lost.
4. Get to testing at least an hour beforehand or early as possible if you are in the morning session. If its your first time you'll see all the olympic pictures and memorabilia on the walls inside the warm up gym. Its good to take some pics with DD and get them settled.
5. Be prepared to sit and wait for up to 4 hours waiting for testing to be done. You'll sit in a meeting hosted by Gary Warren and can walk around the Ranch. You'll probably see Bela driving his utility cart or Marta taking a walk around the grounds. Be polite and say hello but basically let them have their space.
6. Have a smile on your face when DD walks out and don't rush to ask them how they did. Give them some time to soak in what just happened. You'll know how they did based on their face walking out the door. You'll see a lot of girls with tears and some bewildered looks.
7. Talk to coach about how good/bad testing went and prepare DD for next day. Take some pics around Ranch with DD.

Leading up to the Ranch.....

1. Make sure coaches and DD are on same page with all required skills if its their first time. Been down there and saw girls crying because coach did not know all required skills necessary for testing and DD was left struggling to figure something out resulting in precious lost points. (IT HAPPENS)
2. Assure DD that falling or messing up a skill is not the end of the world. My DD fell and still qualified A camp with a very high score. According to her coach she composed herself quickly and finished strong.

TOPS A camp leads to bigger things....Do whatever you can to get
your DD there. Schedule privates for your DD if necessary to sharpen up on physical abilities testing and skills. If you're going to invest the amount of money to fly to Houston then why not spend a little extra to get your DD prepared.

Congrats for making it to National Testing!

Thanks for all the info. We are all a bit confused on some of the requirements. Can someone explain the difference between the Bars Requirements in the main document and the Bars Requirements in the Appendix? Are both required for all age groups?

Not making either the A or the B team is the not the end of the world. Yes, it's fabulous if you do but if you sit through the meeting, you'll find out that USAG uses TOPS in part as a way to train more coaches to train elites. Most of the larger gyms don't bother with TOPS. So don't add additional stress to your daughter getting ready for testing. They already know that this is big. Balance practice with time off. My poor daughter did privates pretty much everyday between Sept. 1 and when we left for Texas. She wanted to for a number of reasons but she was totally stressed out by the process. I actually offered to cancel the trip because it really didn't seem worthwhile. She went but didn't make either team. Hasn't held her back.

So enjoy the experience, do all the preparation necessary but remember to have some fun with the process.

I agree I dont believe TOPS is the end all and be all of gymnastics. . I have kids that do TOPS and make it to nationals which is a feat in itself. However all don't make a team but, boy does it open their eyes and gives them a wonderful experience. I encourage them and their parents to enjoy the ride. Every year I find myself wishing all my gymnasts could have the experience of attending the ranch with the national staff. Gary Warren was replaced by Kim Riley last year so she runs the meetings. Last year Kim and Valeri Liukin ran all the meetings.
In my experiences I have found though some larger gyms dont test TOPS, most train the conditioning as it is the same for hopes, elites etc. All the girls attending Developmental camps are testing on physical abilities every month.

The developmental camps that my daughter is attending are invite only. Her coach had to submit videos for evaluation. The National coaches then select the girls to attend the camps. Even after getting one invite, you aren't guaranteed a repeat invite. A lot is dependent on how well you do at camp. From what she's let slip, they do a lot of verification of skills that they've demonstrated. Very small group and paid for by USAG (thankfully). She's also mentioned that the food is good but not plentiful. She's enjoyed the experience though she comes home exhausted.

B&M's Mom thanks for the information. Good to know more about the next step.

My daughter qualified for TOPs as a 10 year old. She had a great time last year but didn't qualify to either team. She seems to be better prepared this year, so fingers crossed! We all had a great time last year discovering the ranch and my daughter is very exciting about showing her buddies who didn't go last year around the camp. The experience alone is definitely worth it!

We stayed at a hotel in Huntsville last year, but are staying in Conroe this year. We heard that Conroe was a little closer! We will see because according to the map its not! For 2 of the 3 days we were there, we stayed at the camp for most of the day because my daughter was testing as a 9 year old and her teammate tested as a 10 year old. Since it is a pretty far drive out there, we took some sandwiches to eat for lunch. I would definitely recommend that.

Congratulations to all that made it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back