TOPs rope climb question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

UnoMas

Proud Parent
Ok, this may sound like an odd thing to be asking about, but...here goes.

My daughter is working on the TOPs rope climb skill at gym. She can climb the rope to the ceiling using her legs, but now the coach wants her to be able to do it the "TOPs" way, with the legs straight and not straddling the rope. She only has to go to the first "line" on the rope. But, she is struggling with doing it the "new" way. Is there anything she can work on (besides climbing the rope:p) that would help her learn to climb without using legs? Is it strictly a strength thing? Is she engaging different muscles or do her arms just have to get stronger? She has been climbing the rope with legs for 2 years, and she's not particularly good at switching something once she has learned to do it a certain way. She needs LOTS of repetitions and practice.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! She's getting frustrated with not being able to do it, (and I feel sorry for her watching it) and I am hoping there is some wise advice here among all of the coaches. Thanks!

I don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say my DD can't do it either. They just started doing it that way and she can't do it at all and neither can any of her teammates.

I don't have any suggestions, but just wanted to say my DD can't do it either. They just started doing it that way and she can't do it at all and neither can any of her teammates.

:)That made me laugh, and feel a little better! Maybe someone will have some good suggestions for both of us!

My dd's team sits beside the rope (assuming the position, lol) and reaches up as high as they can. Then they pull up with their legs straight out and hold, then lower back down to the ground. They repeat this a few times. I don't know if it helps, but I'm sure it's a great arms workout. Climbing the rope this way is actually something my dd CAN do. In fact, her coaches joke that she is odd because she's the only one who actually likes to climb the rope. :D

We have our girls learn this by climbing down with no legs. Our newer girls will climb to the top with legs...then down with no legs. It's an extra step that gives them more confidence. And yes...it's just a strength thing.

My DD's class does this, my poor DD can only just get up off the ground! A couple of girls in her class can get most of the way to the top, but most of them struggle to get very far. The two that are good at it are smaller and lighter than most of the others, perhaps it is easier for them because they have less body weight to lift. I don't have any suggestions, but I like the sound of JBS's idea.

I love watching the big girls do it - it's amazing.
Down here the girls have to sit on the floor in side splits, pull themselves all the way up to the top of the rope (maintaining the split!!), come back down but not touch the floor, and go back up. The top girls at DD's old club were doing it 3 times up and down in one go.
DD only recently tried no legs for the first time and I think managed one real arm change, and attempted a second - but in straddle not real split.
I love the idea of trying to come down with arms only. I think!! Then again maybe just starting from halfway down until she looks strong doing that much!!

I have my girls climb as far as they can with no legs (in straddle) and then they switch to "scissors" (keeping legs straight and just upper legs on rope, so they take legs off to pull up using their arms and then legs go back on, i.e. a scissor action) then if they really need to they can then use their legs to climb. We keep a record of their best attempts at climbing with no legs and they try and beat the number of hand movements each time before they have to start using their legs. Their desire to beat themselves and/or to hold the record in the group is good motivation!
The main trouble they have is that they let their hands get to far above them, I have to always remind them to keep their arms bent and their hands in front of their body/face.

well...chin up holds to pullovers and back again are part of developing strength for rope climbing. and you must keep climbing. they may have left out this component?

What about chin ups on a bar with legs in pike? Also holding chin up with legs in pike, and traversing the bar whilst holding the chin up, with legs in pike?

Just want to second what others have said - she will get it if she practices enough. Never thought my dd would be able to do this but after a lot of practice, she now can get all the way to the top. I think it does help to practice with no legs straddling the rope first - dd says this is easier than with legs to the side in a pike. Once she can get all the way up that way, she can work on the pike. Also seems to help to move quickly hand over hand. If they stop, they are doomed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back