Parents TOPs season is here!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnasts have to be entered by their club for tops. I know sometimes a coach will work with and enter an individual child even if the club doesn't have an organised tops programme.

Thank you! I saw the 2013 list, but Maybe a club has a TOPs program but their gymnast didn't make the 100 list.
I know that for good training you do not have to. E part of a TOP program, but the Amazing Five that competed in Londo, ALL of them participated in the program.

Opinions?!

TOPs was originally designed to help build better training across the many clubs in the US that may not have had any exposure to National team coaching programs and training techniques. The program as it exists today is quite different than it was when any of the London team gymnasts would have been a part of it, so I wouldn't read too much into that. It can be especially good for those gyms that don't have an established relationship with national team staff (as a way to build those relationships via camps and such), but it certainly isn't a must have. Many very high quality gyms do not participate in it, because they've already got those relationships and other ways to gain exposure for gymnasts with high potential.

Congrats! DD had her first test today as well! I think she did well, but I wouldn't say she "crushed it"! :)
There ended up being confusion about the rope climb for the 7 year olds. So, my DD and another girl only went 1/2 way; then had to go again, all the way to the top!

Thank you! I saw the 2013 list, but Maybe a club has a TOPs program but their gymnast didn't make the 100 list.
I know that for good training you do not have to. E part of a TOP program, but the Amazing Five that competed in Londo, ALL of them participated in the program.

Opinions?!

Mckayla Maroney and Kyla Ross? Not sure about that. There have been plenty of elites that didn't do TOPs. It was originally intended for programs that didn't currently have elites or elite hopefuls, and needed to know how to train them. So there were and are many established elite programs that don't participate.

Last year when we were in Texas they told us that McKayla Moroney did TOPS, but never made it to Texas. Something about the rope climb if I recall correctly?

Interesting. That might make sense since it would be difficult to confirm if she merely tested. But I don't see Kyla anywhere either, could be similar. They would have been in the same program at that point.

I remember from last year that the skills were weighted higher than physical abilities (60/40 and 70/30) for the 9 and 10 year olds. Does anyone know if this is just at National Testing or State Testing also? My DD was 8 last year (so 50/50 at both tests), and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the older girls scoring, and I can't remember the details.
Thanks!

I remember from last year that the skills were weighted higher than physical abilities (60/40 and 70/30) for the 9 and 10 year olds. Does anyone know if this is just at National Testing or State Testing also? My DD was 8 last year (so 50/50 at both tests), and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the older girls scoring, and I can't remember the details.
Thanks!
When I looked at the score sheets from last year's state testing, it appeared that physical abilities score was weighted at 45% (multiplied by 1.333) for all ages & skills were weighted at 55% (multiplied by 1.67) for all ages as well. DD tested as a 7 year old last year and we didn't have any others qualify for national testing so I never saw a score sheet from there.

When I looked at the score sheets from last year's state testing, it appeared that physical abilities score was weighted at 45% (multiplied by 1.333) for all ages & skills were weighted at 55% (multiplied by 1.67) for all ages as well. DD tested as a 7 year old last year and we didn't have any others qualify for national testing so I never saw a score sheet from there.

Thanks, Gymom. DD went to National testing as an 8yo last year, and I remember something about the different weights for different age groups. I just can't remember the details any more. I'll ask the coach.

BTW - sounds like your DD did great again this year. Congrats!

Thanks, Gymom. DD went to National testing as an 8yo last year, and I remember something about the different weights for different age groups. I just can't remember the details any more. I'll ask the coach.

BTW - sounds like your DD did great again this year. Congrats!
Yes, I believe that national testing is weighted differently.

Not 100%, but I think it's (50/50) for 8 year olds, (60 skills/ 40 physical abilities) for 9 year olds, & (70/30) for 10 year olds.

She did awesome for her first test! We are so excited for the next one!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back