tops testing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

karengillespie

Hi Everyone,
My daughter did TOPS testing 2 times this season and I wanted to ask if anyone has any remarks on how she may have done based on her scores: I would really appriciate any comments.
She is 8 testing as a 9 year old:eek:ptimist:

Test 1- Test 2-
Splits 15/15_______________ splits 14.5/14
shoulder 5________________ shoulder 5
leg lifts 20________________ leg lifts 20
cast hnd stand 9 ___________ cast hndstand 4
press hnd stand 8 __________ press handstands 6.5
rope 11.5 sec._____________ rope 14 sec
vj 14.5 ___________________ vj 14.5
sprint 3.59 ________________ sprint 3.29
handstand hold 30 sec. ______ handstand hold 30 sec.

There really isnt anyhing you can do except wait for results- coaches wil ahve them by next Friday @ latest. It all depends on how the other 2700 kids who tested across the country did!

When my daughter qualified for TOPS National testing as a 9 yo she had maxxed out on everything except the press handstands...on one testing she did 7 presses ( and did NOT qualify) and on the other testing she did 9 presses ( and DID qualify). I t was pretty much the same when she was a 10 yo as well. As a previous poster also said, it depends on the pool of girls in her age group too... if they're strong, she'll need the better #s to qualify to National testing.

But as an aside, TOPS is not the be all, end all that USAG would like you to believe. I have always felt that the TOPS training is strength training that any good gym should include in its regular workouts. TOPS was originally designed to train gyms how to produce elite gymnasts ...if your gym has elite gymnasts then don't get too overworked about the whole TOPS testing etc.:)

Hi Everyone,
My daughter did TOPS testing 2 times this season and I wanted to ask if anyone has any remarks on how she may have done based on her scores: I would really appriciate any comments.
She is 8 testing as a 9 year old:eek:ptimist:

Test 1- Test 2-
Splits 15/15_______________ splits 14.5/14
shoulder 5________________ shoulder 5
leg lifts 20________________ leg lifts 20
cast hnd stand 9 ___________ cast hndstand 4
press hnd stand 8 __________ press handstands 6.5
rope 11.5 sec._____________ rope 14 sec
vj 14.5 ___________________ vj 14.5
sprint 3.59 ________________ sprint 3.29
handstand hold 30 sec. ______ handstand hold 30 sec.

Your coach should have gotten the results today. It looks like she will be really close. The cutoff for 9 yr olds went from 62 last year to 69 this year. I have her around 70-72 points.... good luck:)

our coach has not gotten results yey...anyone have any estimates for these results from my daughters test??? any advice welcomed

she is 7

jump....14"
press hand stands 5/5
leglifts.....20/20
sprint....3.81
cast to handstand...4.5/10
rope...4.69
shoulder flex 5/5
splits rt..14....left....14
handstand hold 30/30

tops testing 7 year old

anyone have any thoughts??? i'm new to this so if i posted this twice...sorry

7 year old tops testing scores

jump...14"
press handstands...5/5
leglifts ...20/20
sprint...3.81
cast to handstand...4.5/10
rope climb..4.69
shoulder flex 5
splits 14 & 14
handstand hold...30/30

anyone know point values to these scores???? thanks

Approximate, it can change if there were any other deductions that were not mentioned - For a 7 yr old I put her at 73.5 & as a 7 yr old turning 8 I put her at 70. Both would be gold. I am assuming she did half of her chs's & 4.5 was her score not how many she actually completed?

thanks....still waiting on our results to be e-mailed to our coach...she is 7 ...and i think there were no other deductions....

my daughter did make it to National Testing, now we are waiting to see if she made A or B camp.

The results on national team and B teams were emailed to the coaches this afternoon

TOPS grading?

Hi. I am new to chalk bucket. I was surfing the web and picked up some great information from some of you. I am also pretty new to gymnastics. One of my four children is a 9 year old gymnast on her 3rd year in the team. She will be a level 6 this year and may go to level 7 later this year.
We'll see. Right after the level 5 season (around May this year), their coaches started training them for TOPS. She did a trial run three weeks ago and did her final testing last weekend (July 31). However, the coaches did not give us a lot of information on the first testing. We are pretty excited and are curious to find out how my daughter did. Here are her scores from the second testing. Can anyone give us insight on her test scores?

she is a 9 year old testing as a 9 year old

press to handstand - 5.5 points
cast to handstand - 6 points
handstand - 60 seconds
rope - 8.59 seconds
sprint - 2.98 seconds
splits - 13 (13 on both legs)
bridge - 5 points
leg lifts - 15
jump - 23 inches

Also, does anyone know how they give out results and when can we expect to find out? Does she have a chance this year?

Lastly, anything I should know about joining Chalk Bucket (i.e., tips)? Thanks.

the kids that make it to National Testing will go to Houston and test again, Physical abilities and Acro. The A/B teams will be annouced after the National Testing.

Does everyone that qualifies for national testing make either the a or b team? Do some kids not get anything?

Winners

I believe that any girl that makes it to TOPs Nationals is a winner, whether or not they make the A or B team.

I believe it gets progressively harder to make either A or B team as one ages from 9 to 11. Eleven year olds are a smaller percentage of the girls selected for the A and B camps.

Personally, I think that all girls who undertake TOPs training(whether they go to Nationals or not) will benefit in the long run. This additional training will make them better. The last time I looked, there seemed to be a direct correlation between TOPs achievers and those that did well at States, Regionals and Westerns. I haven't looked at Nationals yet as my daughter just entered level ten.

Go to any gym and see how many girls can do a press handstand or climb a rope with good form with only their hands. Not too many. Those that can do so, especially multiple press handstands, are probably TOPs girls. Training similar to TOPs can achieve the same results. Extra work on higher level skills and lots of strength conditioning is the difference in TOPs and TOPs-like training. Going to the camp is a long term goal in TOPs and a motivational tool.

I would look at TOPs as a way for your daughter to maximize her skills and strength and improve overall. She can do it without the formal TOPs competition as long as the training is similar.

Julio Garcia,
Jamy's dad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back