WAG toughest states/areas for scoring in compulsories?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
I feel as though the area I live in is super tough for scoring in compulsories. And I've heard this is the case -but of course I don't have any evidence. Does anyone know what some of the toughest areas are for compulsories?

we've been to NJ and NYC and they compare to our judges in MA. however, there are a handful of judges that are ridiculously tough on scoring here in MA. i know from talking to another judge that if one can take either .1, .2 or .3 as a deduction, one of these judges aims for .3. two of those judges come in to our gym before our first meet and score the girls and give feedback so our girls know these judges on a personal basis. they know they are tough but fair. dd was so excited to get a 9.375 on her level 4 bar routine at states with two of the hardest judges scoring bars together. lol everyone says add about .5 to your score with another judge b/c they are super tough.

Based on some of your other recent posts, I'll add that the differences between states and regions is in tenths of a point, not entire points. Traveling to an 'easier' scoring state will not bump a score from say a 32 to a 36. There's not that big of a difference, imo. Another opinion of mine, fwiw, scoring is relative as you move closer to the ends of the spectrums of competitors at a meet. For instance, if an exceptional routine in rotation 1 is scored a 9.5, this will be a base line. The next exceptional routine will be judged by the base line, slightly better, slightly better score, etc.

Everyone thinks their state is the hardest scoring :)

But really, a few tenths here and there. I've never been to a state where I was blown away by difficulty/easiness of judging. It seems to all be within 5 tenths of each other - or less. Granted, I've haven't been to that many different states for compulsory meets.

I will say, Region 5 seems to be pretty tough. Not biased, though ;)

Everyone thinks their state is the hardest scoring :)

But really, a few tenths here and there. I've never been to a state where I was blown away by difficulty/easiness of judging. It seems to all be within 5 tenths of each other - or less. Granted, I've haven't been to that many different states for compulsory meets.

I will say, Region 5 seems to be pretty tough. Not biased, though ;)
bahahahaha....I was sure it was Region 1....hee hee...

It doesn't really matter as it is all relative.

The best gymmie gets a 9.5 it will go down from there. Best gymmie gets a 9.2 it will go down from there. Best gymmie gets a 9.8 it will go down from there.

Kids tend to place where they typically place, its just the numbers that are different.

If you look up the state meets on meets scores, they all are pretty much in the same ball park. Top 100 pretty well dispersed.

Numbers will make you crazy.

It doesn't really matter as it is all relative.

The best gymmie gets a 9.5 it will go down from there. Best gymmie gets a 9.2 it will go down from there. Best gymmie gets a 9.8 it will go down from there.

Kids tend to place where they typically place, its just the numbers that are different.

If you look up the state meets on meets scores, they all are pretty much in the same ball park. Top 100 pretty well dispersed.

Numbers will make you crazy.

Yeah, for the most part that's all very true, but it is sometimes helpful to know trends in scoring for different areas. For example, last year our first 3 meets were travel meets to states not considered to score as tough as our own. Before our 4th meet which was back in our home state, the head coach made sure to let the girls know to prepare for lower scores. It wasn't a huge difference but it was indeed lower. Even though placements do still all pan out in the end, it was good for the girls to prepare mentally for lower scores flashing during the meet so as not to mess with their head game too much.

I don't think my state is the toughest...in fact I think it's one of the highest scoring lol! Of the states I have lived and competed in I would say Southern California is the toughest.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back