Coaches Training a one-handed gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
There is a gymnast in a rec class at my gym who only has one hand. Two arms, but one arm does not have a hand.

However, she looks to be extremely talented, and I can't help thinking that she could still do some things at the competitive level.

SO I have several questions.

First, does anybody have any experience with kids like this? Any advice on how I might be able to modify her training?

Second, what are the technical implications? I assume she wouldn't be able to compete bars, but what about floor, vault, and beam? Any ideas for ways to modify the progressions for cartwheels, walkovers, etc?

Third, what are the implications as far as injuries? Obviously, she'll be taking a lot of stress on one wrist and shoulder, and likely end up building up far more strength on one side than the other. Is this likely to lead to long-term health issues if she continues in gymnastics?

I dont know in relation to gymnastics, but will offer my second hand experience via my good friends daughter.

She is a paralympic swimmer with half an arm above the elbow.

When she got into swimming more seriously and got trained by national coaches, then they worked a lot on the muscle imbalance she had (- due to her not really trying to use her 'little arm' for power, and previous coaches not realising the future implications - ie the muscle imbalance)
They did this initially with resistance bands, push ups with some sort of support for the 'little arm', weights using a prosthesis to lift with - but definitely worked this side a lot to build up as evenly as possible.
She hated working this side, but it did benefit her performance I am told.

It can be done! I remember this!
YouTube - Carol Johnston Movie Part 1

The movie about Carol Johnston aka "Lefty". If she could do it then, I'm sure you can figure it out now! CSUF is also my alma matre and that was a VERY young Lynn Rogers. I think I may actually have watched the meet in Seattle that Lefty was hoping to compete at, NCAA nationals.

wow Geoff. your/her work will be cutout for everyone involved. certainly she would be allowed to compete in only 3 events at any level. and even after the additional training you would have to do on that one side, i have seen the body compensate/adapt in all kinds of situations.

i would suggest getting together with an Ortho Doc and a DPT to figure out a short and long term plan. i've never had this situation so that's the best i can offer.

My dd used to do summer camp every year with a girl with one hand 2 arms like you mention. On floor you never noticed. All same moves as everyone else. She did cartwheels, bridge kickover, walkovers etc. She didn't even look like she went really one sided.
Vault handspring with support no problem, Same beam as everyone but they weren't doing walkovers or BHS just cartwheels and rolls.
On bars I was always the most impressed although I agree competing bars would be hard. She could back hip and front hip circle with a little help (and she was just a rec gymnast)swings, leg lifts and chin ups with support. She held a nice front support position.

Good luck and hope she enjoys it as much as this little girl did. The ideas about muscle balance seem really good.

I have heard that there was a gymnast in our state that had 2 arms, but only one hand. A coach from DDs old gym told me about her and that she was amazing. She had made it to L6 last the coach knew. Amazing. Thanks for sharing the Carol Johnston movie, what an inspiration.

I currently have a gymnast who I am training who only has use of one arm. Beam and floor routines can done with one arm. One arm cartwheels, front walkovers, handsprings, round offs. Lots of leg conditioning should be done so hes not extremly strong on one side of her body and weak on the other. It can be done as long as she believes in herself and has others who believe in her along the way.

There was a rec gymnast with a similar condition where I used to coach, but she had two barely developed hands (no fingers, a small palm) and no feet (but two legs). She was able to do all the rec skills (sans bars) including CW, RO, handstands, bridges, kickovers, walkovers. Indeed, she a better RO than her classmates, who had hands and feet.

In Florida, there was a L5 with an extremely underdeveloped hand who competed USAG. Her kips were a bit wonky, as she clearly favored her good side, and her coach safety spotted throughout the routine, but she competed all around.

So, I'd say let her desire and work ethic lead you. If she is talented and wants to compete, you will find away to make it happen, and governing bodies do make exceptions due to bodily limitations.

Can she support herself on her no-handed arm without pain? If she can, she could learn to do some basic bars skills on the pommel horse (hand/end of arm flat on the horse, not on the pommels). I like to use the PH with my rec girls to work on front support positions, leg cuts and shoot throughs, and stride support hold. This would be a way to let her learn some basic bars skills while also allowing the other girls to work their technique.

I'd sit down and have a conversation with her and her parents (and preferably her doctor/physical therapist) about limitations. You'll want to incorporate lots of strength training to keep muscular balance, though I'd wager her good side is already stronger than most. She can use ankle/wrist weights taped on to her no-hand arm to do strength training, as well as a huge variety of body weight exercises.

In addition to one handed CW, walkovers, ext, she may also be able to do them on her elbows. One handed handstands are very hard, so you might try teaching her a forearm stand (http://yogini786.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/forearm-stand1.jpg?w=152&h=254). She could do HS forward rolls that way, and I bet someone could figure out how to do a backward roll to forearm stand. A variation to consider?

You'll also want to be extra vigilant about injuries, especially over-use injuries. Make sure she knows she can always tell you "this isn't working" or "this doesn't feel right." You might want to develop a sign or code for her to let you know, especially if she doesn't want to draw attention to her limitations.

[video=youtube;sYwYMc_an9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYwYMc_an9w[/video]
I remember seeing this video awhile back, a young gymnast with only partially developed fingers on one of her hands. She even did bars!

Good luck coaching her, it will be a long, but interesting journey!

There are also quite a few prosthetic devices that can be used for athletes.

You may want to speak with her mother to see if they are interested (as it will probably be a considerable outlay of cash)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back