WAG Training hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know i've been posting a lot lately but I have one more thing to ask. With my other posts I have had many people tell me that it seems like dd practices too much and comments on burnout. What would be the average amount of hours a level 10 would train? I'm sorry if it's a bad question but dd trains for 30 hours a week... I knew it was a lot but I figured they weren't the only gym that did that...

Our level 10s workout 35 hours.

I know i've been posting a lot lately but I have one more thing to ask. With my other posts I have had many people tell me that it seems like dd practices too much and comments on burnout. What would be the average amount of hours a level 10 would train? I'm sorry if it's a bad question but dd trains for 30 hours a week... I knew it was a lot but I figured they weren't the only gym that did that...

During the school year, I would expect the average level 10 to need at least 20 and up to 25 hours, but personally I don't think more than that is necessary unless something at the time demands it. I know successful 10s who did 18-20 hours and made it to Nationals, even though that is the low end. 5 days a week times 4 hours a day should really be sufficient. 35 hours is unnecessary and I am not really sure what a "career level 10" would be doing with that amount of time...mind boggling really. However with reports of kids being left for 6 hours to train themselves on beam, I guess that explains some of it. NCAA gymnasts don't train this much (even taking into account extra side training over the max allowed by NCAA, I doubt it) so you would find that a bit odd. Some very good elites didn't train that much as part of their regular training cycle (Shawn Johnson). It gets somewhat individual at that point and based on the quality of their prior preparation, but still...to do competent NCAA level routines, I do not see that as necessary. At some age it's up to the kid though if that's what they want to do, just think it's a waste myself.

I am just curious how they fit in 30-35 hours a week? I know our optionals work out nightly from 3:30-7:30. That is after a full day of school. saturdays they do 9-12. Where are the kids finding this time?

18-20 hours is typical for L10s in our area to train, but we are not in a highly competitive state either.

During the school year, I would expect the average level 10 to need at least 20 and up to 25 hours, but personally I don't think more than that is necessary unless something at the time demands it. I know successful 10s who did 18-20 hours and made it to Nationals, even though that is the low end. 5 days a week times 4 hours a day should really be sufficient. 35 hours is unnecessary and I am not really sure what a "career level 10" would be doing with that amount of time...mind boggling really. However with reports of kids being left for 6 hours to train themselves on beam, I guess that explains some of it. NCAA gymnasts don't train this much (even taking into account extra side training over the max allowed by NCAA, I doubt it) so you would find that a bit odd.

I'm not making the gym look good am I? lol...

I'm not making our gym look good am I? lol...

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I just genuinely don't understand the "need" for that time and how it is framed as a "need", but if that is what coaches consider an efficient and acceptable use of time, I guess that explains some of it. It seems to me that the need may be driven by inefficiency, but I guess maybe that is to their benefit somehow. There are not enough coaches where I work for one group to monopolize them for 35 hours a week during the school year. Just not efficient or sensible for our gym.

My dd is homechooled but not for gymnastics, it is a factor but school at home works best for her. The gym has no level 10s that aren't homeschooled. They all are. @Skschlag.

My dd is homechooled but not for gymnastics, it is a factor but school at home works best for her. The gym has no level 10s that aren't homeschooled. They all are. @Skschlag.

On the opposite side, I can't think of any level 10s at my gym that have ever been homeschooled. We have maybe 2 homeschooled kids on our team, no level 10s happen to be though and can't think of any others who were in the past either.

My dd considered going to public school to get the experience but decided that it's not an option as there are no level 10s in other non homeschool groups.

On the opposite side, I can't think of any level 10s at my gym that have ever been homeschooled. We have maybe 2 homeschooled kids on our team, no level 10s happen to be though and can't think of any others who were in the past either.

We might have one, but I am not sure. We had an elite, national team member, and not only was she not homeschooled, she actually did so much extra that she graduated early. I am pretty sure that all our 10s go to public school, so the hours have to be less.

Most kids aren't homeschooled... Gymnasts or not. Coach says dd is very fortunate to have the opportunity to train as much as she does... Don't know what to make of that...

22.5 hrs right now--up from 20 hrs a few years ago. Our coach says that 35 hrs a week is excessive, in his opinion and that you can do a lot with fewer hours, if you are working all the time. And at 35 hrs a week, you'd have to homeschool! But I know that's the norm in some areas of the country.

35 hours a week is nowhere near the norm here for L10 or upper level optionals. There is no way someone could go to school with that amount of hours.

Our level 10's have 4 hour practices 5 days a week. ARound 20 hours total during the school year, a little more in the summer I think.

Our 10s workout 18 hours during the school year and 20-22 during the summer. Our owner/HC just doe not believe in excessive hours. All of our levels would be on the low end, based on what others have said. However, we are very competitive in our state and most meets we go to out of state as well. That being said, we are not a "machine" gym, if you know what I mean.

I think we could probably do a few more hours, but workouts are efficient and the coaches believe school comes first so they make sure the kids have time for homework and a little bit of a life outside of the gym.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I just genuinely don't understand the "need" for that time and how it is framed as a "need", but if that is what coaches consider an efficient and acceptable use of time, I guess that explains some of it. It seems to me that the need may be driven by inefficiency, but I guess maybe that is to their benefit somehow.

Well, an obvious benefit is increased tuition!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back