Parents trampoline at home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a coach, i really dislike backyard tramps. Not just for safety but because if the child is allowed to work on skills at home then I have to fix the mess when they come in the gym. I can always spot a kid with a tramp when we start back handsprings. It makes me crazy!!

I have nothing to add except that before reading this post I had changed my profile pic to my dd jumping on an in-lake trampoline. On vacation. Not ours...

We have a trampoline, we bought it long before we had a gymnast. My daughter uses it for her jumps and more basic tumbling. We also have a built in pool so my kids are never in the yard unattended, there is always an adult out there making sure they don't do anything they shouldn't. They like to jump till they are nice and sweaty and then jump in the pool. Whatever you do if you get a trampoline make sure it has a good safety net. My sister's dog ate their trampoline net and she still lets her kids jump and flip on the trampoline. It makes me a nervous wreck and whenever we are there I have to be the bad guy and tell my kids they can't get on. That is one reason there is so many injuries on trampolines. Oh by the way one of the little girls in my daughters training group (7yo) fractured her growth plate handspringing on the trampoline in the gym under a coaches supervision, so it can happen anywhere.

i just want to point out again the false sense of security of these "safety" nets. but if it makes you feel better...

99.9999999999999999 percent of all injuries on a trampoline occur ON the bed.

"safety" net is an oxymoron. but if it makes you feel better...

i just want to point out again the false sense of security of these "safety" nets. but if it makes you feel better...

Soooo I do know what you are referring to, but does this mean that when DS 9 was "doing" "Arabians" and "fulls" on the hotel BED before the meet this weekend I should invest in a safety net???? (I personally gave up long ago with keeping him from all these things - I carry my own suture set with me when we travel and keep an eye out for urgent care centers close to our hotel!

We have a trampoline, we bought it long before we had a gymnast. My daughter uses it for her jumps and more basic tumbling. We also have a built in pool so my kids are never in the yard unattended, there is always an adult out there making sure they don't do anything they shouldn't. They like to jump till they are nice and sweaty and then jump in the pool. Whatever you do if you get a trampoline make sure it has a good safety net. My sister's dog ate their trampoline net and she still lets her kids jump and flip on the trampoline. It makes me a nervous wreck and whenever we are there I have to be the bad guy and tell my kids they can't get on. That is one reason there is so many injuries on trampolines. Oh by the way one of the little girls in my daughters training group (7yo) fractured her growth plate handspringing on the trampoline in the gym under a coaches supervision, so it can happen anywhere.

Tramp and pool... I had a friend who had that set up growing up. We used to jump off the garage roof, onto the tramp and into the pool;) Good safe stuff we were allowed to do;)

Heck, I've heard when our boys' coach was a gymnast, he used to bounce himself up really high on the tramp, launch to the rings, get one good swing, and then jump from there to the high bar (they're all set up in a line across one side of the gym). Fortunately, the guys haven't yet gotten anywhere close to even touching the rings from the tramp, but I dread the future . . .

I don't know if it makes me feel better, supervising them and making them jump one at a time in combination with having a safety net makes me feel a little better. I still would not let my kid on one without a safety net because it adds additional risk. I feel like she is as safe or safer in the back yard on the trampoline with me than she is at her gymnastics gym at open gym or at a bouncy house birthday party.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back