Parents Transitioning to cheer for college

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 12-year-old daughter *really* wants to do a college sport involving tumbling. She is a third level Xcel Platinum (expected to move to Diamond next year), and given how competitive gymnastics has become, we know even D3 isn't likely. She raised college cheer as an option.

Does anyone have experience with their gymnast being recruited for college cheer? What does she need to start doing for this to be a possibility? Since it sounds like cheer operates differently than other NCAA sports, I'm having a hard time getting clarity.

FYI she is not interested in diving, and we have concerns about the quality of colleges for acro & tumbling, so we are not considering either of these sports at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Does she have any experience doing cheer? I would suggest trying out for middle school cheer(if your school has it) or maybe a half year All Star cheer team to see if she even likes it, because tumbling aside, they are very different sports. You can also check out ncsasports.org and search under cheerleading, they have tons of info about college cheer, clinics and recruiting. College cheer doesn’t really recruit, colleges will hold clinics and combines that anyone can go to, and those can give you an idea of your chances of making the team. Just like gymnastics, there are some incredibly competitive college cheer programs and ones that are more laid back. My daughter used to do gymnastics but switched to All Star cheer and loves it! Good luck!

My 12-year-old daughter *really* wants to do a college sport involving tumbling. She is a third level Xcel Platinum (expected to move to Diamond next year), and given how competitive gymnastics has become, we know even D3 isn't likely. She raised college cheer as an option.

Does anyone have experience with their gymnast being recruited for college cheer? What does she need to start doing for this to be a possibility? Since it sounds like cheer operates differently than other NCAA sports, I'm having a hard time getting clarity.

FYI she is not interested in diving, and we have concerns about the quality of colleges for acro & tumbling, so we are not considering either of these sports at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
First off, I am glad she is only 12yrs old, sometimes there is a common misconception that gymnasts can just switch to cheer but they really are two different sports and while gymnasts know how to tumble which can make the transition easier there is still a lot to learn. A few things to think about:
1) What has she looked into so far regarding cheer? There are a variety of styles at a variety of schools from sideline cheer at football games all the way onto "making mat" at a top school and competing at the "big show" in Daytona. Is she/you guys thinking scholarship money or just something fun to do, make friends and keep in shape while away at school. There are also different types of cheer (co-ed and all girl) these are also different and the skills it takes to make these teams are different.
2) Has she ever cheered before/will she like it? There is a large difference between gymnastics and cheer like it or not the "glitz and glam" of cheer is a real thing. Some people love it, some tolerate it and others choose to do acrobatics and tumbling. Does your daughter love performance in gymnastics? Is she good at it? Cheer can be about the show so to speak.
3) Tumbling itself in cheer is different than gymnastics. In college cheer is performed on non-sprung floor with shoes on. This can be a transition for gymnasts in itself which needs some practice (although not a huge hurdle). Backwards tumbling is primary, very little forward tumbling (I think this is partially cultural, partially the floor). Two types of tumbling in cheer standing (ie a standing tuck) and running, can she do both of these well? There is less focus on technique in cheerleading tumbling and generally as long as you are not wiping out you will get the points for instance pointed toes are not a thing. Tumbling is focused on rotational tumbling ie. layouts, fulls and double fulls in combinations with whips etc. For instance on a team a tumbling pass might be round off full, handspring, handspring full. Or round off, handspring, whip, full etc. There are no double backs etc. Also in cheer you generally have to tumble in unison unless you are a top featured tumbler. Will she be alright with having to adjust to a longer, faster, slower handspring etc?
4) While an individual high level tumbler may be recruited just to tumble being able to do all aspects of cheer well is certainly an advantage. Learning to stunt in multiple positions and being well rounded will certainly help your chances of making a team somewhere.

Cheer is a fun sport. I did it for years at a high level when young. If she wants to do something low key depending on the school would probably be fine. The area she wants to attend school will definitely matter as well. There are geographical differences in who cheers and at what level throughout the US. Watch some videos to learn more about it and find somewhere close by with a reputable program and have her try it out if she is really interested. It is also good to remember that although she has been training gymnastics for years there are many young girls who started cheer at the age she was starting gymnastics.

As others have said, it really depends on the type of cheer program offered by the school. My dd never did cheer and graduated high school as an Xcel Platinum. She is now cheering at a DIII school and loves it. She emailed the coach in March of her senior year to express interest. The coach suggested attending a skills clinic that was a few weeks later. She went and was interested in joining the team so she went to the tryouts in April. She was offered a spot on the team and is gaining so many new skills. She loves the team aspect of the sport. They cheer for football and basketball and attend a few competitions where they have done well over the years. They also do community service.

A friend that was a competitive gymnast for a few years switched to all-star cheer which she did for about 6 years. She is now cheering for a highly selective D1 school. It appears that they do give some scholarship money.

Since your dd has a while before college, I wouldn't rule out acro & tumbling yet. It seems that new schools are being added every year. A gymnast friend just committed to do a&t at a very good university. Guess it really depends on where you live and how far away she would want to go for college.

I just have to jump in and say there are some AMAZING A&T schools out there. Like any sport, there are a bunch of smaller schools, but small doesn't make them bad. It really just comes down to what sort of college experience would your daughter be interested in. Not to mention it's a growing sport, and you have a 12 year old. It seems silly to count it out. University of Oregon, Baylor, Iona, Long Island, Duquesne, Presbyterian - all D1 schools. Especially since cheer is such a crapshoot on if she'd get money or not, A&T seems odd to ignore. Add to that she has a full 6 years before she would even need to make that decision - definitely keep your options open. And yes, I'm a mom to a soon to be A&Ter at a smaller D2 school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back