Parents Trouble Getting Back Handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dsabrunner

Proud Parent
Wondering if anyone else out there had a child who had trouble getting their back handspring - and if so if they finally got it?

My daughter has been doing gymnastics for 5 years - she started in the preschool classes, did pre team 4-6, started level 2 at 6. She started working on back handsprings at the end of L2, a bit over a year ago. By the end of L2 she could do it on the Tumble Track, but only on the floor with spotting.. That is where she stayed the whole year of L3, although in the last couple of competitions she did do it un-spotted. That is where she still is.... She is really strong but definitely has a hard time with back flexibility and so we have her stretching almost every night. She has also had private lessons to work on it - and in those did a couple of nice ones, although she was still getting spotted on the robh. She is now in Xcel, because, in part, you obviously can't go to L4 without a back handspring. At this point I think she is convinced she can't do a back handspring.

Any tips? Anyone see a kid finally get it after all of this? Or is it hopeless?

My odd did. My dd2 got it before her older sister. But now they are super nice . Did 3 U.S. Working them now and has it on the trampoline and tumble track but not on floor.

Just let her know that she will get it

My dd got hers fairly easily, but OMG it was ugly. Like seriously hideous. I thought she would never be able to do a passable BHS. It took her about a year to get one worthy of competing, and even sometimes now she has real trouble keeping her legs stuck together.

Time and practice :)

Yep. My dd started working progressions probably 2-3 years ago. She competed lvl 3 last year. She spent most of the season doing her ROBHS with a spot. She FINALLY got it on her own only to have a bad warmup and land on her head at her last meet. She's working on getting her confidence back now. It has been an exercise in patience for sure.

I'm not a coach, just a mom so take this with a grain of salt... Can she do it other places? Tumble track /tramp? Down a cheese? Into the resi? To belly in resi or pit pillow? Good RO fly back?
I think there's a core strength component, need for a good entry RO, open hip/shoulder (I hope I'm using that term correctly) position, that are so important.
Dd s definitely got prettier after about a year of having them and it almost seems like when you can add the second on it encourages the first to be tighter.
My ds has had them about 15 mo. I'm still waiting for his to hit that "finally pretty" stage.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back