trouble with 3/2 on floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is mostly a question for coaches, but others are welcome to answer if they can help.
I have been working on my 3/2 for a few weeks and I can make it all the way around, but my coaches say that I am looking where I would look for a full, not a 3/2. So my feet are facing forward, but I am kind of twisted and looking backward (I hope that makes sense). I was wondering how I can fix this so I end looking in the right direction. If you need more information that I didn't include, just ask. Thanks:)

Sounds to me like you just haven't developed complete comfort with the skill yet. You're spotting it the way you would a full because you simply aren't accustomed to the extra 1/2; the cure is patience and practice and many many repetitions.

And remember, you SHOULD be at least glancing the floor before the final 1/2; this allows you to better prepare for the landing, which will make it much easier for you to eventually punch another skill out of it. However, this glance should be brief.

Sounds to me like you just haven't developed complete comfort with the skill yet. You're spotting it the way you would a full because you simply aren't accustomed to the extra 1/2; the cure is patience and practice and many many repetitions.

And remember, you SHOULD be at least glancing the floor before the final 1/2; this allows you to better prepare for the landing, which will make it much easier for you to eventually punch another skill out of it. However, this glance should be brief.

Thanks, I am still getting used to even doing the extra 1/2, so I think you're right. Thanks again:)

Last edited:
My guess is that you are spotting the floor for the full and leaving your head in that position. If your body continues to turn an extra half twist but you leave your head looking where the full is, then your head will lag behind.

Essentially this skill is a half in full twisting front layout out. Half in, full out so to speak. You must be willing to take your eyes off the floor at the end and go blind into the end of the full twisting front layout. Yes, the end is a blind landing unless you spot the floor or wall out in front before your feet hit the ground.

Basically in my opinion you are leaving your head back.

Get used to full twisting front layouts and apply what you learn to do with your head to the 1 and 1/2 twisting back layout. (which is actually a half twist in front full out.)

My guess is that you are spotting the floor for the full and leaving your head in that position. If your body continues to turn an extra half twist but you leave your head looking where the full is, then your head will lag behind.

Essentially this skill is a half in full twisting front layout out. Half in, full out so to speak. You must be willing to take your eyes off the floor at the end and go blind into the end of the full twisting front layout. Yes, the end is a blind landing unless you spot the floor or wall out in front before your feet hit the ground.

Basically in my opinion you are leaving your head back.

Get used to full twisting front layouts and apply what you learn to do with your head to the 1 and 1/2 twisting back layout. (which is actually a half twist in front full out.)

Yes, I was leaving my head back. Unfortunately, we don't learn full twisting front layouts until Level 9, and I just moved up to Level 8, so I won't get to learn those for a while :(. On the plus side, though, I finally did it right last night :) Thanks for everyone's advice, hopefully I can do it again tonight.

Its great to hear that you have made progress so fast. Good job. I'm curious as to whether the tips you receive from Chalk Bucket are helpful. Do you get information here that you can't or don't get at your gym from your coaches? What difference does Chalk Bucket make on your work outs?

Its great to hear that you have made progress so fast. Good job. I'm curious as to whether the tips you receive from Chalk Bucket are helpful. Do you get information here that you can't or don't get at your gym from your coaches? What difference does Chalk Bucket make on your work outs?

Well, I love my coaches, but sometimes just hearing (or reading) the same suggestions phrased differently helps it to click so I can make the correction. I think the suggestions of the coaches here really help when I am stuck on a skill or just am not understanding the corrections my coaches are telling me.:)

Do you have a consistent 1/2 twist?

A 1.5 feels completely different from a full to me, so I don't consider it a full with a 1/2 tacked on. That might work for some people...I don't know. I'm weird about twisting and just kind of memorized what I do. However the open out should happen when you see the floor anyway, but you need to have sufficient height to do this...it can't be exactly the same as full. Probably to me more like a double that opens out early. But I'm weird.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back