Parents Trying new gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@MILgymFAM

I can't recall if you already commented on this. But my ds had to give up t&t and he was miserable until he found diving. It is so much like tramp, and he is still loving every minute of it. Has your ydd considered diving? Around here, it is climate controlled, cheaper than gymnastics and often aligned with school hours.

She's afraid of heights, unfortunately, which is kinda hilarious.

Why did she have to give up gymnastics? I am sorry I lost track of the reason. I thought about getting my DD some Diving lessons. She loves to dive in the pool and at the local swim club as well. The one-meter board is not scary.

She's afraid of heights, unfortunately, which is kinda hilarious.
Just an FYI on diving, a diver can just do low dive (1 meter board), no requirement to do 3m(high dive), unless a specific diving club requirement. Kind of like the different events in T&T, 1 meter, 3 meter and platform diving can be all done or only 1 or 2 and can be done at different levels.

Just an FYI on diving, a diver can just do low dive (1 meter board), no requirement to do 3m(high dive), unless a specific diving club requirement. Kind of like the different events in T&T, 1 meter, 3 meter and platform diving can be all done or only 1 or 2 and can be done at different levels.

Good to know! I did do a quick search and there doesn't appear to be any diving teams around us either. I need to be very mindful of distance. I brought her to try a dance school today that is 6 miles from our new home- it took nearly an hour to get here. Lesson learned!

Why did she have to give up gymnastics? I am sorry I lost track of the reason. I thought about getting my DD some Diving lessons. She loves to dive in the pool and at the local swim club as well. The one-meter board is not scary.

There aren't commutable gyms for her here- the closest gym for full T&T team is two hours away in traffic.

Reactions: sce
Awesome news for your ODD! Best of luck to your YDD - it's such a bummer that she's so down. Hope it passes and she discovers her thing quickly!

Edit: PS I know you probably have, but have you checked local YMCAs for diving/tumbling? And what about cheer? My very not-cheer-like DD loved it!

Good to know! I did do a quick search and there doesn't appear to be any diving teams around us either. I need to be very mindful of distance. I brought her to try a dance school today that is 6 miles from our new home- it took nearly an hour to get here. Lesson learned!

There aren't commutable gyms for her here- the closest gym for full T&T team is two hours away in traffic.

In case you didn't know about this resource, this page below is a good place to find all diving clubs. Not a ton of info on each link, but at least a city location and phone number. There are definitely a few in ALexandria but not sure how close that is to you.

https://secure.meetcontrol.com/divemeets/system/teamlist.php

Awesome news for your ODD! Best of luck to your YDD - it's such a bummer that she's so down. Hope it passes and she discovers her thing quickly!

Edit: PS I know you probably have, but have you checked local YMCAs for diving/tumbling? And what about cheer? My very not-cheer-like DD loved it!

My DD used to cheer but isn't interested- she knows she's destined to always be a base and she would find it boring (per her).

Aerial arts / circus school?

Also none commutable- that was actually what she asked me to do for a month when I made her pick. This immediate area is pretty dry of interesting, off the beaten path sports.

In case you didn't know about this resource, this page below is a good place to find all diving clubs. Not a ton of info on each link, but at least a city location and phone number. There are definitely a few in ALexandria but not sure how close that is to you.

Alexandria is what I saw too, but that is as far away as full T&T. It doesn't look too, too far in theory but it's impossible in reality.

Not the OP, but thanks for this! My non-gymnast has expressed an interest in diving!

OP, moves are tough. The gym news sounds good, and I hope both girls find "their place" pretty soon. I'm sorry about the disappointments, and I'm sure not having your stuff is rough as well! Hang in there - all of you!

Well it looks like ODD may have a new gym home. She did a four hour practice (while exhausted and jet lagged) and loved it. She originally went in for Xcel but they invited her to JO and she is taking the rest of the week to try the JO team, but she loved it. After a month off she lost some stamina but did manage to do her skills without balking or spots!
That is such fabulous news. So great that she so quickly found a place that wants her and she enjoys. Sorry to hear about ydd though. I hope you are able to fine something that she enjoys. I totally get the traffic issue. I deal with that here too.

Another thing to look into is the local rec programs. Our city run gym has aerial/circus arts. I don't think it would be easily found via a google search though. You'd have to look at what classes the city offers to find it.

Another thing to look into is the local rec programs. Our city run gym has aerial/circus arts. I don't think it would be easily found via a google search though. You'd have to look at what classes the city offers to find it.

My girl has aged out of all the rec programs. They only go up to age 12.

That is such fabulous news. So great that she so quickly found a place that wants her and she enjoys. Sorry to hear about ydd though. I hope you are able to fine something that she enjoys. I totally get the traffic issue. I deal with that here too.

We were able to have her try a dance studio near ODDs gym and she loved it- she's already on her second day of the summer intensive and loves it. She's dancing 8.5 hours a week right now, so I get a mommy reprieve on gym sadness.

We were able to have her try a dance studio near ODDs gym and she loved it- she's already on her second day of the summer intensive and loves it. She's dancing 8.5 hours a week right now, so I get a mommy reprieve on gym sadness.
Oh thank goodness!!!! Been thinking many a good thought over here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back