Tryouts Level Promotions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

tomtnt

Proud Parent
How does gym handle promotion to the next level? Are there official large scale group tryouts on a particular day? One-on-One evaluation which can be scheduled anytime? Or do the coaches promote the kids based on their performance in practice?

If you do have tryouts/evaluations - do the kids perform skills in front of the team coaches at each apparatus? Do they perform full routines?

Is there big fanfare associated with tryouts and getting promoted to the next level?

There are no real tryouts unless a kid hasn't been on team before and is just starting out but then they are usually recommended from a rec class into a team level. If a parent thinks their child can do team usually its a one on one with the owner or head coach to evaluate what skills the kid has and then recommend a position.

As for moving up levels once they are on the team there are no tryouts to move up. You need to score the mobility score and have the skills the coach feels are necessary for the next level. You could have the mobility score but not have the skills necessary to move up. USAG site has those skills and scores needed for each level.

At Pickle’s gym it differs by development, rec, and team.

For developmental, the compulsory coaches do evals a few times during the year to make sure that the girls are progressing on target and give guidance for what the team should be working on. It’s always a little different depending on what kids they have, but when Pickle was in developmental, after two years all the girls were invited onto L4 team (two chose to go to rec and one quit altogether).

I’m not quite sure about the rec program, because I’ve never had a kid in it, but I think they do an evaluation and move ups twice a year.

For team, the coach, head coach, and owner meet and discuss the next year placements. The girl, parent, and coach have a meeting to find out who the girl’s coach will be and what level she will compete next year. Sometimes a girl might start out repeating a level, but suddenly progress rapidly and move up during the middle of the season.

Our girls are evaluated twice a year, in June and September, for changing levels. Ever girl is tested on set skills and every level is tested at the same time by the team coaches. Girls wishing to try out for team can join the September evaluation, if they come from another gym they are evaluated by the HC. We have a lot of flexibilty in levels as our system is all optional.

Tom do you realise you are the MAG Chalkbucket Challenge Champion 2010?

It would be pretty uncommon in the US to have "tryout" type formal evaluations for girls who are already competing. Usually it is a decision made between the coaching staff. If it's an issue of moving into a higher level group the other coach may informally watch, or the child may simply try a workout with that group for awhile, but having a formal tryout day would be pretty unusual.

It varies from year to year, but generally we only do formal "tryouts" for kids who are just joining team.

After that, it's based on how they do during practice.

At our gym there is a book which shows the skills that they need in order to move to the next level. During the off season, they work on these skills until they have perfected them...they have to get them "marked off" before the consider them being ready for that skill...to get them marked off they must complete them perfectly 3 times in a row. Since there are numerous skills for that level, it usually takes most of the off season to get them checked off...(they also go back and be sure they have the previous levels skills with 3 checks as well)...then it really comes down to whether or not the coach feels that they will do well in that level. But at least this way, the kids can see how they are progressing and what they still need to have in order to move up.

Last edited:
One gym I had did their tryouts sometime in Spring. I think it was April or May for the girl's.

As for all the men's programs I've been in. A pat on the back, a chat with the parent, and perhaps sitting down with them in the off-season before and after summer to talk about what level they would be training for. It sort of depends on if they have the skills and which the child would rather train for.

i.e. a rough season in a new level or doing a second year in a prior level to score better and get more medals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back