Parents Tumbling Mat?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dahlia

Proud Parent
I know everyone says to keep the gym at the gym - and I agree. But my dd especially is practicing handstands and such everywhere (not just at home, grocery store, library, it drives me nuts!)! And I fear it is going to get worse! I was thinking about investing in a basic mat to have in the house to give her a safe place to work on things like handstands and forward rolls without having to worry about her propelling herself into a piece of furniture or conking her head on our hardwood floors.

So, if it's not a terrible idea, any recommendations on what to get (size, brand, etc)? And if it is a terrible idea, let me know.

We were very luck to be given one around about 3 months ago shortly before DD was put into a competitive group. I never, ever, suggest she get's it out to practice but if I see her practising I insist she does it on the mat. Recently, she's been practising handstand into bridge and has sometimes fallen onto her flat back. On our wood floor that would certainly risk injury. She tells me they are asked to practice certain skills at home and I see it as proving her with a safe environment to do so. Ours is the size of a large floor rug (around 6ft x 5 ft) and is around 3 inches thick. This means it folds a little (but is still a total pain to store).

It's actually why I got a small bar my daughter can hang on. I thought it would be safer than her hanging on the stair railings etc. It has a 8' mat that she'll do somersaults/cartwheels on. I agree with if she's going to do it I'd rather have her on a mat. I remember some interesting moments when I'd practice gymnastics as a kid on the grass including a few 'sprained' ankles.

I really like the 8 foot length and it folds up. I think it was the Nastia Liukin brand, but unless you are getting a thicker mat I haven't noticed a huge difference personally in the brands. Especially since you are just using it for basic tricks like handstand/forward rolls I would go for the most affordable option. :)

We went to play it again sports and got a lightly used black exercise 4x8 panel mat for handstands, etc at home nice and cheap :)

We have 5x10 mat. I would not go with 4x8. Having 5x10 I feel much more happy knowing my 5 year old having extra room just in case. -and after having this size looking at 4x8 - it looks way too small. I got one on Amazon for $200 and $5 shipping.
I know everyone says to keep the gym at the gym - and I agree. But my dd especially is practicing handstands and such everywhere (not just at home, grocery store, library, it drives me nuts!)! And I fear it is going to get worse! I was thinking about investing in a basic mat to have in the house to give her a safe place to work on things like handstands and forward rolls without having to worry about her propelling herself into a piece of furniture or conking her head on our hardwood floors.

So, if it's not a terrible idea, any recommendations on what to get (size, brand, etc)? And if it is a terrible idea, let me know.

When we bought a mat, I just did lots of internet searches looking for ones that had free shipping and then I picked the heaviest one for the size, figuring that the heavier it was, the more "stuff" it would have in it and the more padding it would offer. When you start looking at the weights you'll see that there is a huge difference. I don't remember the brand or the website, but we were really happy with it. Now that she's in the gym enough that we've passed it on to her cousin who is just starting out. I think a mat is a good investment, and they will use it as just a soft place for playing on the floor as well as for tumbling. It also folds up into "forts" and other fun stuff.

No, not yet. I need to get on it, dd is scaring me with her handstands. Right now we have given her an open carpeted area to work in, but it needs more padding...

There are just too many choices. 4x8 or is it worth the extra $$ for 5x10. 1 3/8" thick or 2" thick. Cross-linked polyethylene foam or is the regular poly filling ok. Ugh! Plus the cost differences!

I went with the 5x10 tumbl trak mat in blue. Amazon had a warehouse deal (usually returns) that was around 200 + tax. Hopefully it'll work out well!

I think you probably can't go wrong with tumbl trak. I remember the look on my dd's face when she came home from school and saw her mat. Priceless!

I recommend the 2 inch. Amazon had best rates (by far) for shipping when I ordered. Best purchase ever. Tons of use, including awesome walls for building forts...

I figure my boys will use the mat too! We should get a lot of use out of it. It's just a chunk of change up front. My new couch will have to wait...

And now dd is asking for a beam for Christmas, ugh! Most likely will not do that one...

Aw. I wished that I was here to help answer the question! Nimble Sports has great deals. My niece gets her equipment from there, and its great. Their 4x8 mats are only $130. Apparently they make everything in the shop too, and not import it from China.

http://www.nimblesports.com

Glad you found something though. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back