WAG Twisting with one arm out?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coachalexia

Gymnast
Hello, so i've been having some trouble with twisting, both back and front twisting. I am able to do a roundoff half twist but when i want to do a full i stick one arm out in the air, if i try to wrap them in i won't twist further than a half, it's extremely frustrating because i've had my layout perfectly for over a year, and it's really holding me back. front twisting just doesn't work at all for me, please help?? (sorry for my bad english, i'm from belgium haha)

If you could post a video, that would be extremely helpful.

Without seeing a video, I'd say there are two most likely scenarios:
1) You are making incorrect arm movements to initiate the twist. There are a number of "correct" ways of twisting (as well as several "incorrect" ones that nonetheless work, albeit in a subotpimal manner)
2) You are not keeping your body straight.

To give any more specific help, I'd need to see a video

If you could post a video, that would be extremely helpful.

Without seeing a video, I'd say there are two most likely scenarios:
1) You are making incorrect arm movements to initiate the twist. There are a number of "correct" ways of twisting (as well as several "incorrect" ones that nonetheless work, albeit in a subotpimal manner)
2) You are not keeping your body straight.

To give any more specific help, I'd need to see a video
Thanks for the answer and uhm yeah, this video is from a couple months ago, it hasn't changed much, it's only a bit higher now

First thing I notice: you're twisting left, but wrapping your arms right.

Here's what I would do: go back to halves -- as late as possible -- and instead of bringing the arms accross the body, start by bringing your left arm down to your side and leaving the right arm up. Once you can do a half like that, the next step will be to go slightly earlier, and drop the right arm to the side once you're about 1/4 way through the twist. The way I think of it when I do fulls is that the left arm (since I'm also a left twister) drops to start the turn, and then once I see the landing, the right arm drops to finish it. I'm a big fan of T&T-style technique, where the arms just drop to the sides rather than pulling to the chest or wrapping around the body.

Here's what I would do: go back to halves -- as late as possible -- and instead of bringing the arms accross the body, start by bringing your left arm down to your side and leaving the right arm up. Once you can do a half like that, the next step will be to go slightly earlier, and drop the right arm to the side once you're about 1/4 way through the twist. The way I think of it when I do fulls is that the left arm (since I'm also a left twister) drops to start the turn, and then once I see the landing, the right arm drops to finish it. I'm a big fan of T&T-style technique, where the arms just drop to the sides rather than pulling to the chest or wrapping around the body.
Thank you so much! so i'm not twisting the wrong way, i'm just doing a wrong arm movement? I'll try the things you told me in the gym tomorrow! i don't have to wrap my arms around me and pull or anything like that, right??

Thank you so much! so i'm not twisting the wrong way, i'm just doing a wrong arm movement? I'll try the things you told me in the gym tomorrow! i don't have to wrap my arms around me and pull or anything like that, right??

Right. What causes you to twist is either torque on takeoff or tilt caused by lateral asymmetry; pulling the arms "around" the body doesn't actually do anything, unless you do it before you leave the floor (which you shouldn't).

yes! that ^^^^^^^^

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back