WAG Twisting??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbee06

Proud Parent
I was just wondering if there's an age or level that you start learning to twist? Do/should you have certain skills before twisting is introduced or does every coach do it different?

Not sure about other gyms, but at mine we start twisting while training new skills, only if the gymnast has a solid layout. Age really has no effect, but level might, only because of the skill sets that those kids have, aka, level 3s probably aren't working on twisting.

Skill level, when the gymnasts has an excellent round off flic back tuck on floor and an excellent round off flic back layout and a front layout at least on the tumble trak I will introduce twisting on trampoline and twisting drills.

Twisting on floor, I will start when the gymnasts has an excellent and consistent round off flic back layout on floor with great body shape and an excellent and consistent full on tramp/tumble trak.

Not sure about other gyms, but at mine we start twisting while training new skills, only if the gymnast has a solid layout. Age really has no effect, but level might, only because of the skill sets that those kids have, aka, level 3s probably aren't working on twisting.
Yes a solid layout, then practice twist. Then go back and make sure the layout is still intact, lol, that's what I've noticed anyway.

Skill level, when the gymnasts has an excellent round off flic back tuck on floor and an excellent round off flic back layout and a front layout at least on the tumble trak I will introduce twisting on trampoline and twisting drills.

Twisting on floor, I will start when the gymnasts has an excellent and consistent round off flic back layout on floor with great body shape and an excellent and consistent full on tramp/tumble trak.

Just a little earlier than this is when the boys' coaches started working on twisting with the boys. For the girls, it wasn't introduced until they had good BLOs on floor.

The L8+ girls have a rotation once a week where they work higher order twisting and flipping. They always "twist down" and end that rotation with layouts to make sure they don't get the twisties. I am very much hoping that the gym starts doing that rotation with the boys in the future.

So I'm i not sure if it's been introduced too early in my dds case she can do round flux on floor and straight fronts on rebound has been working round off tuck backs on rebound for a while and last week was introduced her on rebound I don't think she's training it seriously though

The boys' coaches let them fool around a bit now and then on tramp and tumbl trak before they started training twisting seriously.

Our gym introduces twisting very early from what I can tell here. Our level 3 girls are given twisting drills in the warmup (jump fulls with correct twisting arms and on tubbl track front salto land jump full with twisting arms etc.) and by level 4 most kids have a front tuck half salto on the tumbl track. Although correct front salto technique is a must before any connected twisting is done!

Right from a very early age some types of twisting drills can be introduced to help gymnasts develop the feel for it. Even having kids do jump turns is a prep for twisting.

I would not however have them twisting if they can't at least to a tight layout on trampoline.

DD has been working a little twisting with tumbling and she's training 7 right now. Mostly trampoline and pit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back