Types of gymnast- which is better?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Do you guys think the powerhouse types are naturally less flexible than the graceful types? I am definitely a powerhouse, and I am pretty flexible, but I had to work really hard and push myself a lot to get there. Seems like I had to work harder at it than the other girls. Is it a general thing, or is it just me?

My daughter is a ball of muscle and flexibility is definitely a concern. Like you, she works had at it and it's better than it was, but it's still been a challenge. She works down into her splits while other girls just fall into them. The correlary to that is that she's the youngest member of her Level 3 (moving to Level 4) team, yet she's the first one on her team to have her RO-BHS. Her amplitude is on a totally different level. The different body types have certain things that come easily and other things that are difficult.

It doesn't seem to me like body type has a lot to do with flexibility. Obviously you can run into range of motion problems with very muscular athletes, but that should be avoided with proper conditioning. One of the most flexible girls I ever knew was built quite large, with those college gymnast legs you sometimes see on teenagers. She could do crazy oversplits. Another of my teammates is a powerful tumbler/vaulter with a muscular build, but she has great back flexibility (which probably is less related to muscle than leg flexibility).

I think that graceful gymnasts do well on bars and beam, while powerhouses do well on floor and vault. But again, that doesn't mean that they are limited to these events. Shawn, who is a powerhouse, had a very nice beam routine, while Nastia, who is graceful, had a very nice floor routine.

Personally, I think that with harder skills being required with the new CoP and judging system, powerhouses have a slight advantage. However, I just love watching graceful gymnasts dancing in their floor routines, it makes me envious :)

I think you need the word attempt in there. Nastia never completed a quad twist in competition. Any video of her 'quad' shows a 3.25-3.5 twist with the remaining twist happening after landing.

that is astutely and precisely correct PL. witnessed them myself at the ranch. never 4. the only gymnast to have 'completed' 4 was artemev (the son).:)

I dont think one is BETTER than the other. They are just two different things :) personally, I am a defiantly powerhouse. I am a great at tumbling, but I have a lot less flow and grace than i do power.
I'm not sure if one lasts longer than the other, but i would say it depends on the gymnast. :)

I think each body type has it's positives and negatives. DD is definitely a powerhouse; her flexibility is so so. However her hard work and dedication has gained her the right to say she is pretty graceful too. A teammate of hers is built a lot like Nastia. And like Nastia she is like a ballerina on the floor. In fact I believe her music is "Music Box Dancer". Kid never stops working and her tumbling is pretty fierce too! So I think the body type doesn't much matter as does the heart, hard work, and dedication the gymmie has inside. I think that if we looked hard enough/ or not, we'd all find proof of both body types and that gymmie's success. Look at Gabby Douglas, the" Flying Squirrel."

Personally I prefer powerhouse's but maybe that could be because I am a powerhouse. Clearly both can be successful

I think it's most fun to watch gymnasts who are good performers, show lots of personality, and know how to take advantage of their natural strengths, whether they are the powerhouse type or the ballerina type.

I'd consider myself a powerhouse gymnast, but then again, I'm a good dancer. I have muscle, but I have nice lines and I can dance really good, probably because I started gymnastics when I was 8, and for 4 years before that, I was a dancer!
I think they are both equal, though when he Kexin and Nastia tied in the bars showdown thing, He Kexin won because the scoring computer favored powerful gymnasts, so Nastia settled for silver.

he Kexin and Nastia tied in the bars showdown thing, He Kexin won because the scoring computer favored powerful gymnasts, so Nastia settled for silver.

Where did you pull that from?!?! HK won due to the way they broke the tie not because she is 'powerful' I don't many informed gym fans would use the word powerful to describe HK's gymnastics.

If your familiar with the Nastia & He Kexin showdown thing, then you may know that that tied. In the Olympics, the computer choose He Kexin over Nastia because she was a power gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back