Parents Typical stretching/conditioning practices

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmomtotwo

Proud Parent
Let me preface this by saying my 5 year old DD came out of practice acting if nothing was amiss and had a good practice. I typically watch only about 15 minutes of a three hour practice, and usually don't see stretching etc. I have seen some stretching at the beginning of practice where the coach pushes gradually on DD in stretching her shoulders and legs. She's inflexible and if she wants to do gymnastics, this is part of it. I have never heard a complaint.

At the end of the practice today, they were doing their final stretching. He clearly was frustrated with them about what they were working on when I walked in. This is a second year preteam group ages 5 to 7. They have one more level after this year before they move to Level 5. It is anticipated that they may do some Level 4 meets in Fall of 2013(the old Level 4) if they are ready. He's made it clear that this group is behind where he would like them to be. I personally think DD is doing great and has a ton of skills for a 5 year old but I guess not.

Anyway, he was very suddenly and very hard pushing on them and roughly adjusting arms and legs that were improperly placed. DD was stretching her shoulders on a mat and he literally walked up to her without warning and pushed down suddenly and roughly on her back, very hard. Is this normal. I would think any pushing should be gradual. I almost pulled her out I felt so protective and then practice was done and she came out happy. Is this normal? She seemed to think so, but I was upset.

Last edited:
I think you will get a lot of different opinions on this subject. My personal view from my own experience is that pushing in stretches is hazardous and not very effective. My DD got a bad hamstring injury last year when a coach pulled her leg up too far in a stretch. I now insist that she not be pushed by coaches in any stretches. Some coaches complain that without the pushing, her flexibility is going to suffer, HOWEVER, in all the time she has been going to gym and been pushed in stretches, it never seemed to do much to improve her flexibility. Since her injury, we have been seeing a neuromuscular therapist who has taught us some special, gentle stretching techniques that are very effective, and her flexibility has improved a lot. I see a lot of coaching practices in this sport that seem to be based on the "that's how we did it in my day" approach, rather than up-to-date sports science techniques.

I would be concerned about someone being rough with 5 year olds, but are you sure he really did push hard? What I mean is, if she seemed happy, perhaps it wasn't as hard as you thought? At our gym, when the girls are pushed in splits, some of them actually cry from the pain.

Hard to tell from not being there and not seeing it... Two of DD's coaches have master's degrees in physical therapy. I've seen them pushing on girls in ways that make me flinch, but given their credentials, I assume they know what they're doing until I have reason to believe otherwise.

I think it was mostly the roughness in general and then the sudden very abrupt push on her that set my hackles rising. It looked pretty hard to me, but she acted like it was business as usual. It seemed to be more done from frustration than for some practical purpose. It seemed so different from the gradual pressure that I've seen done in the past. I've never seen any of the girls cry in practice, but most of the time I am only there for 15 minutes of a 3 hour practice. How did you get the idea to go to the neuromuscular therapist? Her flexibiiity is going to be a struggle for her. If there is a better way of improving her flexiblity I'd love to learn about it.

Stretching is sometimes difficult to watch. Like Nicki said, sometimes the girls cry when stretching over-splits at our gym too and I find that, particularly if I catch the end of the session, it can look as though the coaches are manhandling sacks of potatoes not little girls.

I have seen a big improvement in her in the last few months though and a good coach (her main coach also has a sports science degree) will know how to do all that without causing any damage. She also comes out smilingand happy.

Without seeing it I don’t know how far from the 'normal' stuff I see as ok your incident was.

I might have more of an issue with the fact that you said he is letting it be known he thinks they are behind and getting visibly frustrated, especially at that age. Yes physically it might be hurting, but my daughter's coaches are remembering to shout encouragement and praise improvement- mentally, as your daughter is just five, I’d have thought that was the way to go?

My hackles would rise also...My little one is 5 on pre-team too, and when they do stretching I've never seen them force/push that age group. They walk around, adjust, (like when my little ones straddle is obviously not as far as it could be, lol), gently move the legs, etc. Now the older girls get more "help" stretching, like over splits, pulling on legs etc (ouch!)but I would be concerned too. I would watch the next few classes, and see if that was a normal occurrence or a one time thing. It's hard to tell without seeing it, but if your DD wasn't upset, I'd just keep a closer eye on practice from now on. I stay and watch (bring a book sometimes), but she likes knowing I'm there and paying attention. When she gets a skill, or does good, her little head always turns to see if I was watching. :)

How did you get the idea to go to the neuromuscular therapist? Her flexibiiity is going to be a struggle for her. If there is a better way of improving her flexiblity I'd love to learn about it.

It was because the hamstring got to about 90% healed but we couldn't seem to get it back to 100%. The NMT found all kinds of issues with her body that nobody else had considered. Also we learned that everything is connected and sometimes problems are not where you might think. One thing that helps that you can easily do at home is massage. I'm not at all qualified in massage, but I massage my DD's calves (basically I just slowly rub my thumbs upwards in the middle and then on each side) and it helps with her calf flexibility and her pike. Also, rolling a small ball slowly under the soles of her feet. Sometimes the strangest little things can be helpful. See the ballet blog website for more flexibility tips along similar lines.

I don't like it. Your daughter is very young. Since fexibility is an area she struggles in, she is likely already pushing herself and it seems that someone repositioning her roughly could hurt her. It is common for coaches to "adjust" kids position in their stretches but what you describe sounds a little like a frustrated coach taking out his/her frustrations. My ZZ is very flexible and the coaches generally direct her to oversplits and do some individual stretching with her to make sure she actually stretches instead of just sitting or laying in her splits chatting. But, they are never rough with any of the kids.

Best Wishes,

ZZMom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back