Parents Typical USAG/competitive team contract length?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

balancing act

Proud Parent
Hi
My daughter is trying out at gyms for a spot on their USAG level 4 team.
I am learning about contract and booster club commitments.

In your experience, how long are typical contracts for team?
Is it for the 6 months during competition season, with no contract for the other 6 months?

Do you know if there are typically contracts for preteam?

thank you for your insight!

Is the one year contract for the higher level girls? I have heard that some gym in my area have one year contracts as well.
thanks for the response

If I recall at my DD's 1st gym they also wanted a year commitment for training squad (pre team). I can't believe that was 5 years ago lol.

At my DD's gym we go from Summer to States. About 7 months. I think it is just an understood thing though we have never signed contracts.

At our club, the development teams are set up similar to a rec class with a fall, spring and summer session with the parent re-committing each session. The competitive teams are annual.

A real contract? Never heard of it. What would they do if an athlete wanted to quit? Sue you for breach of contract or force you to stay? What purpose would a contract serve? Or are you contracting with the coaches to provide a certain service? That would be interesting to try and enforce.

Now, if what they are realing telling you is that there is no pro-rating of team fees, meet fees, tuition, etc if you leave mid-season - OK that I get.

Our girls have to sign thier team handbook and we have to re-register at the gym every year, but in no way is any of that a contract.

Good Luck and welcome to competitive gymnastics. Buckle your seat belt - gymnastics is one of those bumpy rides. Oh, and keep your wallet handy.

Contract???? They are children. Do some gyms actually make you sign a contract? Our gym just requires 30 days notice that you are quitting, so that they know when to stop billing you.

Our gym has parents sign a "contract" of sorts...but it's really just stating the obvious..."if you are on the team, you are expected to compete", etc....people leave all the time and there is no "penalty" or anything. They have new parents sign it and it goes till the end of June (yearly) but I don't recall if I've signed one since we first joined the gym.

Interesting range of responses.
I think paying for meet fees that the gym has submitted and giving a 30 day notice is reasonable.
I don't know how much negotiation room I have though.

At dd's gym all incoming families are given a list of expectations as far as payments, fees, volunteering, etc. In order for the gymnast to compete, the expectations must be met. It is also asked that once you join the team that you finish the competitive season, barring illness or injury.
I am curious as to the wording of the "contract." Perhaps it is the final page of the parent's handbook that you and the gymnast sign stating you received, read, and agree to the handbook policies? If so, this is not uncommon. The expectations would vary from gym to gym, however.

I should clarify...I think the intent of our "contract" is to have parents sign something that says they will help with our huge invitational meet we host each year. that's the big thing they want to get out of parents (we have no booster club, gymnast/parent handbook, etc).

I signed a contract when DD started pre-team but it basically said what the monthly fee was, and that it was for a 9 month commitment rather than sessions as the rec program is. But when DD left the pre-team program to back to rec, he prorated the rec session since I had already paid a month of tuition for pre-team (I think I got a $15 credit).

We do not have any sort of official signed "contracts" for our gymnasts.

Now if a new parent coming from rec to team asks what the commitment is, we tell them it is a yearly commitment, just so they understand that there is a period of a few months that makes up meet season, another part of the year (summer) is focused on up training, and another portion of time is routine prep etc. These people are used to an 8 week period and need to understand with team, in order to get the full experience, they must come for the full year. (No joining for 8 weeks right during meet season and then not continuing for several months and then popping back in for the fun summer up training etc. )

Team also pays their monthly tuition one month in advance (February payment due in January), so I consider that somewhat of a "contract", although it certainly isn't official. Just if you pay for the month, you don't get it back unless there is injury. If they want to discontinue, they must give us a heads up.

Lastly, meet fees are paid in one lump sum at the start of the season, so I guess that's a bit of a contract, because if they decide to quit, they do not get meet fees back- they have already been paid to the hosting gyms. It is better to stick out the season and attend the meets you've paid for.

At dd's gym all incoming families are given a list of expectations as far as payments, fees, volunteering, etc. In order for the gymnast to compete, the expectations must be met. It is also asked that once you join the team that you finish the competitive season, barring illness or injury.

This is basically what we have, but we do "sign" the list.

Our gym has parents sign a "contract" of sorts...but it's really just stating the obvious..."if you are on the team, you are expected to compete", etc....people leave all the time and there is no "penalty" or anything. They have new parents sign it and it goes till the end of June (yearly) but I don't recall if I've signed one since we first joined the gym.
Yes this is what we have. Contract is not the right word. More like a commitment which explaining the fees, meets , training hours and gymnast responsibility. Although her first gym did ask for 1st and last month fee up front lol. Like a renter :).

No contract here either. Just an understanding that competitive gymnastics is a year round sport and meet fees and assessments are non refundable. Gymnasts are free to leave at any time for greener pastures or to pursue other sports/activities.

Thank you for the responses.
It sounds like if she is miserable for some reason once the competition season starts, it is reasonable to pay the meet fees and other expenses for competition but not agree to continue to pay her monthly training/tuition fees beyond a 30 day notice.
That I can live with!

No contract here--we sign a sheet saying we understand the rules and we pay a yearly team fee in addition to the monthly tuition, but we can quit at any time. I don't think any gyms in my area have contracts and not sure anyone would sign one

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back